Menu

Kangaroo math contest preparation

visitor

Dear all,

Which books/curriculum is great for preparing on the kangaroo math contest?

We already use Beast Academy is that enough?

I bought Burac but I didn't like it.

Thanks in advance,

Visitor

Edited by visitor

University of Waterloo; Centre for Education in Math and Computing has archieved math contests for grades 7 - 12, as well as Problem of the Day for lower grades. http://www.cemc.uwaterloo.ca/index.html

There is also free mathematics courseware on this website. There is a whole bunch of additional resources available that I'm just discovering now. Some really great stuff!

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

my kids like these books too:

Competition Math for Elementary School Volume 3 & 4
by Yongcheng Chen

Elementary School Math Contests: 500+ Challenging Math Contest Problems and Detailed Step-By-Step Solutions Paperback â€“ August 15, 2017

by Steven and‎ Jesse Doan

• Like 1

Just out of curiousity, avilma, how do the US and Canadian tests differ?

Also, you can subscribe to the University of Waterloo Problem of the Week, and they email you the ones just for the age groups you request. Solution is sent next week. Love how organized they are.

Some school teachers here print them out and have them for kids who finish their math early (of course, they never seem to print out solutions  :confused1: )

My impression was that the MK Canada test is easier than the US one based on the Canada tests that my son did and the actual ones in the US. The questions are identical to US one, but the US one seems to have more questions in total and more that are on the higher point value questions.

Edited by calbear

• 1 month later...

Just out of curiousity, avilma, how do the US and Canadian tests differ?

For example I am looking at the 2016 grade 5-6 tests. The US and Pakistani tests are identical. 7 off the problems on the Canadian test are not in the other 2 tests (and vice-versa).

My impression was that the MK Canada test is easier than the US one based on the Canada tests that my son did and the actual ones in the US. The questions are identical to US one, but the US one seems to have more questions in total and more that are on the higher point value questions.

It's interesting. Last year my son got around 30 points higher score on actual US test than he did on Canadian practice tests (I scored them US way, without penalty for the wrong answers). It was 3-4 grade level, if that matters.

Representing in San Diego today!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155509893193261&set=a.382765123260.165028.585033260&type=3&theater

This was the first year that he didn't finish in 20 minutes. He almost took a whole hour and said that he actually [brace yourselves] WROTE THINGS DOWN this time. Hallelujah, it's an Ides of March miracle! 

How did everyone else do today? :)

• Like 2

My five year old just got home from it. She seems to have enjoyed it reasonably well (except when they had her wear the t shirt for a picture). Looking over her test, she did well on a lot of it, though she got a lot wrong as well. I'm really happy that she went through the whole test, not letting the ones she was confused by derail her. She can be a perfectionist, so that's pretty big.

• Like 2

I hosted it for our area this year. Four sessions. I am exhausted, lol!

DD#1 participated, but she wasn't up for discussing it when I got home. I'll see if I can get her to go through it with me tomorrow. She doesn't write much on her test booklet, though, and doesn't note her answers there, so we have to rely on her memory of what she put for each question. So...we'll see! (Edit: Or, duh, I have a copy of her answer sheet. I can find out exactly what answers she chose! It took me half an hour after posting to realize this...did I mention I'm exhausted?)

DD#2 (she's in K) had asked to participate, but I opted to have her wait until next year. Sitting quietly for that long will probably be easier in another year. ;) I'll let her look through a level 1 & 2 question book tomorrow.

Edited by purpleowl
  • Like 2

DD10 took the 5-6 grade test. She had time to work on 25 problems and she did 20 correctly. She guessed for the last 5, all of them wrong :) I think hers is a great result in a very difficult test, especially considering she hasn't learned equations yet. Next year she will take the test at the same level and should be able to solve the problems that can be solved with equations much faster.

• Like 2

We tried it for the first time this year. DS9 said it was super easy, and DS6 had a harder time with it; he only got 10 right. I think he guessed on all of the 5 pointers. Not bad for his first time filling out a scantron!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• Like 2