Menu

Please review Logic of English vs. All About Reading/Spelling

Basic question, is AAR/AAS less overwhelming than LOE?  I would really, really appreciate any thoughts on AAR/AAS.  We have been doing LOE Foundations.  We have gone through A, B, C, and are currently in the middle of D.  I had planned on continuing with Essentials, but we are struggling!  I have four kids in the various levels of foundations and we are all overwhelmed.  It seems like there is just not enough review of the different rules and things before we are off to learn another.  So, either I need to figure out my own way to review or switch programs.  

Is AAR/AAS less overwhelming?  I have read that it moves much slower, and has more review, which seems like a really good thing at this point.  I would really prefer an all in one program, but I'm starting to question if LOE is right for us.  Does anyone have any experience with any of these programs that would mind sharing their thoughts?  I read AAR/AAS doesn't have the kiddo mark the words, that seems not so great.  Are there any other big differences?

I like the color and playfulness of Foundations, but what is the point if we aren't retaining anything?

Thanks.  

Edited by homeschoolwarrior

I read AAR/AAS doesn't have the kiddo mark the words, that seems not so great.  Are there any other big differences? 

Here's one LOE review I know of from someone who uses AAR/AAS. With regard to marking the words, AAR and AAS use other strategies like syllable tags and letter tiles rather than a marking system. So, the student is still learning all of the concepts about how to pronounce the word (or spell the word, as the case may be). 

One of the biggest differences is one you've probably noticed already--AALP separates reading and spelling rather than providing an all-in-one type of program. Children tend to progress at different rates in these skill areas, and separating them allows kids to progress as they are able in each subject. 

Another difference is that LOE is Spalding-based, which tends to group words by word frequency, rather than strictly by concepts. So you'll see things broken out more incrementally in AAR/AAS.

HTH some as you consider what is the best match for your dc!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I haven't used LOE, but we do use AAR and, soon, AAS. It's a very open and go program, which is one of the reasons I chose it, the other being that it's great for different types of learning styles and I wanted something that I could use with both my kids. We rarely spend more than 20 minutes in AAR and, once dd learned to blend the sounds together, she's had no trouble picking up new concepts as they're introduced. And I don't really see it as slow since you can  move at their pace. We've had a lesson or two where we spent a week or so on it, but for the most part we end up finishing a lesson in a day or two unless I feel she needs to spend an extra day re-reading the stories. As her confidence grows, though, that's happening less and less.

I haven't used LOE, but we do use AAR and, soon, AAS. It's a very open and go program, which is one of the reasons I chose it, the other being that it's great for different types of learning styles and I wanted something that I could use with both my kids. We rarely spend more than 20 minutes in AAR and, once dd learned to blend the sounds together, she's had no trouble picking up new concepts as they're introduced. And I don't really see it as slow since you can  move at their pace. We've had a lesson or two where we spent a week or so on it, but for the most part we end up finishing a lesson in a day or two unless I feel she needs to spend an extra day re-reading the stories. As her confidence grows, though, that's happening less and less.

All my kids have used or are currently using AAR. It sounds like it would be a better fit for you. We have also used a spell to read program (not loe but the same Spalding method). The fact that AAR separates reading from spelling and handwriting really allows you to individualize it more. It is more incremental as well. You get a tiny bit of info, then practice it until it is relatively easy, then the next bit. This approach demands less working memory than the Spalding way. I have never used aas and am not entirely convinced that rules-based spelling is superior to something like spelling you see or apples and pears, so I won’t speak to the spelling side of things. For reading though, I think you should definitely switch to aar. They have a money back guarantee if it doesn’t work out, and you have multiple kiddos who will use it.