What's with the ads?

#1 Roadrunner

Roadrunner

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5356 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:15 PM

Is there an Intensive French Language summer school for high schoolers in Canada?
  • loesje22000 likes this

#2 madteaparty

madteaparty

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4612 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:41 PM

So I was told Canadian kids take some French proficiency exams around that age and there are prep schools for this. I haven’t looked hard or found any.
But you know, Sorbonne has a “summer university”. Come to Paris with me! :)

Edited by madteaparty, 26 January 2018 - 12:49 PM.

• loesje22000 and Roadrunner like this

#3 Roadrunner

Roadrunner

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5356 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:51 PM

Sorbonne one is for undergrades though, isn’t it? I need more basic stuff, like Intensive B2/C1 level courses 5 hours a day for 2 months that don’t cost 1,000 euros a week. 🤭

And my DH has a strong preference for Montreal or really anywhere in Canada. Although I will take France if I can locate something reasonable.

Edited by Roadrunner, 26 January 2018 - 12:53 PM.

• loesje22000 likes this

#4 madteaparty

madteaparty

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4612 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:54 PM

Sorbonne one is for undergrades though, isn’t it? I need more basic stuff, like Intensive B2/C1 level courses 5 hours a day for 2 months that don’t cost 1,000 euros a week. 🤭

For summer school they have week long classes for language learners, and in French (like French literature) and some even in English (for me?:)). I don’t think the ones I was looking at were 1000/week
  • loesje22000 and Roadrunner like this

#5 loesje22000

loesje22000

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3918 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:21 PM

We could meet each other in Brussels then :)

#6 madteaparty

madteaparty

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4612 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:33 PM

We could meet each other in Brussels then :)

I’m probably coming your way this summer :)
  • loesje22000 likes this

#7 loesje22000

loesje22000

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3918 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:49 PM

I’m probably coming your way this summer :)

Lovely!

#8 Roadrunner

Roadrunner

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5356 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:51 PM

For summer school they have week long classes for language learners, and in French (like French literature) and some even in English (for me?:)). I don’t think the ones I was looking at were 1000/week

OK. I am going to go back and dig for that link.

#9 madteaparty

madteaparty

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4612 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:59 PM

I emailed you.
There used to be a poster here who went to Canada for summer camp (in French)...I don’t think she posts anymore though :(

#10 Sneezyone

Sneezyone

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3975 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 02:06 PM

I think this may be what you're looking for. I looked into this for DD but decided to hold off for a year or two. www.learningfrenchinquebec.com

#11 Roadrunner

Roadrunner

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5356 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 02:37 PM

I think this may be what you're looking for. I looked into this for DD but decided to hold off for a year or two. www.learningfrenchinquebec.com

This looks great! I can’t find the cost of summer language camp though with homestay option.

#12 Sneezyone

Sneezyone

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3975 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 02:53 PM

This looks great! I can’t find the cost of summer language camp though with homestay option.

There's an in-country rep here in Bahrain of all places and he sent me a 2018 price list. I can PM it to you. ETA: I didn't read closely enough and this program is definitely not in the easily affordable category. It is one of the better programs available tho. Many of the wealthy people in this region use it.  :leaving:

Edited by Sneezyone, 26 January 2018 - 03:11 PM.

• Roadrunner likes this

#13 Roadrunner

Roadrunner

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5356 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 03:17 PM

There's an in-country rep here in Bahrain of all places and he sent me a 2018 price list. I can PM it to you. ETA: I didn't read closely enough and this program is definitely not in the easily affordable category. It is one of the better programs available tho. Many of the wealthy people in this region use it. :leaving:

Have you seen anything better price wise? I think this is a better one that I have found so far.

#14 Sneezyone

Sneezyone

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3975 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 03:20 PM

Have you seen anything better price wise? I think this is a better one that I have found so far.

Not really. When I did a month in France (geeze, in 1991-2?) it was $2500 w/homestay and activities but no formal instruction so this seems about right.

Edited by Sneezyone, 26 January 2018 - 03:21 PM.

• Roadrunner likes this

#15 Legomom

Legomom

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:56 PM

So I was told Canadian kids take some French proficiency exams around that age and there are prep schools for this. I haven’t looked hard or found any.
But you know, Sorbonne has a “summer university”. Come to Paris with me! :)

Is this the Sorbonne one?  https://www.centerfo...paris-sorbonne/

Or is it directly with the University?  Ds17 is looking for a french immersion program in Quebec or France.

Also, to the op, my son found some reviews/comments on trip advisor.  One of the host families said that they have seen the best results with Quebec-Monde and Bouchereau Lingua International.  That comment was from 2012, so I do not know if that still holds true.