Menu

Kumon/ Singapore and PM Supplements

Mandy in TN

Anyone familiar with Kumon and Singapore?

Prior to enrolling him in Kumon math the middle of last summer, I had not done any formal schoolwork with my then 4yo.

Since then he has completed Kumon Levels 4A-2A and is 3/4 of the way through A. I am not pushing him. He is only doing 5 sheets/ day, but doesn't seem to be having any problems.

He started Singapore 1A a month ago today and will complete it tomorrow. I will also allow him to fly thorugh 1B. He is just using the textbook/ workbook combo. When he hits 2A, I would like to slow him down to ensure retention and mastery. From that point I would like to view Kumon as drill/ mastery of computation and Singapore as introduction of computation concepts. Singapore would also need to provide mastery of the concepts not presented in Kumon. At this point that would be everything except the 4 operations with whole numbers. Which of the optional materials (extra practice, intensive practice, challenging word problems, home instructor's guide with manipulative activities) would provide this?

Thanks-

Mandy

Singapore would also need to provide mastery of the concepts not presented in Kumon. At this point that would be everything except the 4 operations with whole numbers. Which of the optional materials (extra practice, intensive practice, challenging word problems, home instructor's guide with manipulative activities) would provide this?
Primary Maths 1A/1B is relatively simple, especially for a child already being drilled in math facts. IMHO, you don't need more than Singapore (possibly combined with a Math Shark or similar tool). With my math gifted child, we use the textbook, Intensive Practice and Challenging Word Problems books because the workbook problems are not sufficiently challenging. For learning math facts, we use the workbook as well for extra practice. We also occasionally supplement with Primary Challenge Math. If you want more mental math practice, purchase the Home Instructor's Guides. They have some techniques not covered in the text and pages of mental math drills you can use instead of coming up with your own. If your child is understanding concepts easily, it's entirely possible you won't need any manipulatives. If you do, many of them can be made at home.

I think you're definitely on the right track, because Singapore Math and Kumon complement each other very well. We did several years of Singapore Math in elementary, and started Kumon in fourth grade-- that was four years ago. Kumon at the high school level is very good-- challenging and well developed problems (level J, tenth grade is great on factorizing) for instance. Highly recommended!

I think you're definitely on the right track, because Singapore Math and Kumon complement each other very well. We did several years of Singapore Math in elementary, and started Kumon in fourth grade-- that was four years ago. Kumon at the high school level is very good-- challenging and well developed problems (level J, tenth grade is great on factorizing) for instance. Highly recommended!

Thanks for the encouragement and here is a not-so-funny Kumon story.

Five years ago my oldest ds did Kumon Math during his 5th grade school year. He completed Math levels A-D. This year in 10th grade he has been doing Kumon English (while the little guy does math) and is currently working in English Level J. Yesterday I had him take the Math placement test. Guess where he placed. Yep, the last placement point in D!

I told the instructor that I would think about it and let her know when we return on Sat. As infuriating as it is, I have decided for him to start Kumon Math again on Sat. Good Grief! I know he has made progress since fifth grade. He is doing fine in Alg2, but when I had him take an ACT practice test it wasn't the Alg/Geometry/Trig problems that he missed. It was fractions and order of operations. So, after nearly 5 years he will be starting back in Kumon Math almost exactly where he left off! :eek:

Mandy