Menu

5th Grader - Where to start

I have a 5th grader that hasn't had much grammar. Where should I start? Should I go back and go through a level or two of First Language Lesson or should I start him on Grammar for the Well Trained Mind?

Same with the Expository Writing. I am not sure where to start.

Thank you!

I would not go through to the beginning of FLL.  The first two years are oral, and have you repeating the definition of a noun over and over.  I haven't used the other levels or Grammar for the Well Trained Mind.  However, they have very generous samples on their website.  If you feel he needs to backtrack a bit, you can look at FLL, but I would think starting at the beginning of the Grammar for the Well Trained Mind would be comprehensive if you feel he can keep up.

For composition, you could start at WWS, but it is a bit advanced for some fifth graders.  It would be fine to start in sixth.  SWB recommends Kilgallon for writing good sentences in her book that you could use for a year.  You might also consider a year of IEW for this year before WWS.  SWB also recommends this without stressing their "dress-ups."  Another option is CAP Writing and Rhetoric Fable (also SWB recommended).  It includes narration and dictation as in WWE, but it also works on writing good summaries and amplifications.  I personally switch to this after WWE 2 or 3 because it is a great transition.  You could continue with the series if you like it or go into WWS in sixth grade after he has built up some of those summary skills.  It would be good to have some summary skills (which are usually preceded by narration and dictation) before WWS, but they also have a very generous sample on their website if you want to review to see if he's ready.

Have you looked at Treasured Conversations? I think it's a perfect transitional curriculum for writing and grammar at that age. It bridges the gap and gets kids caught up systematically.

After that for 6th, maybe WWS. I would start a grammar program after the initial part 1 of TC after parts of speech are taught. We haven't used Grammar for the WTM but it looks like it starts from the beginning as long as you take it as slow as needed.

• Like 1