Menu

6 Year High School?

I recently came across an article that is a few years old talking about combining CC associates degree with high school diploma without accelerating high school . So a six year diploma/associates degree. It is an interesting idea. https://www.pbs.org/newshour/education/six-years-high-school-two-extra-years-catching

I know that there are parents of exceptional students who can or did take enough dual credit or AP courses in four years to do this. What about students who can do the work, but not at the accelerated pace? I know there are majors in our flagship schools that do not allow any or only a very few transfers(engineering, computer, buisness) but do allow AP and dual credit courses to transfer. Would this be helpful to homeschoolers? What do you think?

Edited by Silver Brook

I recently came across an article that is a few years old talking about combining CC associates degree with high school diploma without accelerating high school . So a six year diploma/associates degree. It is an interesting idea. https://www.pbs.org/newshour/education/six-years-high-school-two-extra-years-catching

I know that there are parents of exceptional students who can or did take enough dual credit or AP courses in four years to do this. What about students who can do the work, but not at the accelerated pace? I know there are majors in our flagship schools that do not allow any or only a very few transfers(engineering, computer, buisness) but do allow AP and dual credit courses to transfer. Would this be helpful to homeschoolers? What do you think?

It is basically just providing the associates degree for no tuition.  They are using this model in schools where the students are high risk for not continuing any education after high school.  They leave more prepared for the work force or are encouraged to go on and complete a degree.  The idea is good, in one sense - more education is always good.  I know that some high schools are lessening the rigor for this though.  Then what?  Are we just creating a society where an associates degree is expected for one to work at a fast food restaurant or department store?  If this model becomes the standard then the standard expectation for any employment will be 2 years of college.  There was a time when you didn't need a high school degree to work in certain fields/stores but that is getting unheard of now.  It is almost like educational inflation.

Edited by Attolia

I agree,it could actually lead to lowering of more high school standards. I am always amazed to see curriculm from two generations ago.

I don't see many homeschoolers adapting this model and am wondering why, especially for the less early academically inclined. Homeschooling kids in my area that are starting at the CC are surprised to learn that our two flagships don't take many if any transfers in engineering or buisness. Maybe that is not their skill set anyway, I don't know.

• Like 1