Menu

Giving a report/presentation

My kids have never done anything like that. Except I think in their co op computer class, they did learn Google Slides and I'm pretty sure they did have to create some sort of presentation. But nothing like that here at home.

Sometimes we get done with our school work so quickly and I was thinking maybe this would be something fun but still educational that they could do. I'm just not really sure how to give them direction. I'm very much a "by the book" kind of person. I love scripted curriculum that holds my hand. So for me to want to do something without that is hard. 

I'm also not really familiar with how kids are doing research these days. Obviously we can go to the library and get books, but I'd like them to know how to find reliable information on the internet.

I'm not sure if kids still have to write out a report on a piece of paper or if everyone types now. Or do they do a Power Point or Google Slideshow? Again, obviously I know I can decide if I want them to use paper, draw a poster, or do a Power Point... but I'm curious what you all do. (My kids are 11).

My son goes to the gifted program once a week and we had parent teacher conferences last week. His teacher asked me what technologies we used for education and I was like, "um, computers and ipads..." But she meant more things like iMovie, Keynote, Pages..... So I guess that's what got me thinking about this!

My kids former public schools has the 5th graders doing a compulsory science fair project, optional for K-4th. They have to do a trifold chart presentation and a science fair project write up similar to a lab report to put at the booths/tables in the school auditorium. PowerPoint slides were optional but most students did one. History report (about 1 typed page) was written or typed, but most students typed because the teacher expects the drafts to be edited so typing was easier than rewriting.

Link is not my school district but the guidelines is similar for the 5th graders. https://www.smusd.org/Page/3150

I agree with texasmom33. Work on basic public speaking skills first, then add in technology. We started with reciting poems and then to monologues from their favorite books, then to factual speeches/presentations.

My 12 yo learned Power Point in a couple of hours, no problem. And we are not techy at all.