Menu

Crossword puzzles

CAJinBE

Does anyone do crossword puzzles anymore? I used to love doing them with my grandmother growing up while we were making dinner after school. I still do them from time to time. Most recently I bought an Easy Crossword book in an airport to pass the time. They really are pretty easy and I can do one in about 5 minutes or so. Today one of my dds wanted to try one so we made copies and all three of us did the same one. I don't think they have done very many before and actually really liked it. They want to do more. It took them about four times as long as me though and I was thinking that maybe this is something that my 50 something brain does better than their teenage, "digital native" brains. I did give them the answers to the cultural things that I knew they wouldn't know like MASH star is "Alda". It was good, old-fashioned fun!

I do them a lot. The Washington Post Daily Crosswords are online. I am a subscriber though, not sure if you have to be to access them. There is also a great NY Times Crossword app. The app is free but you have to pay to get the current puzzles but they have a free mini daily one every day that is fun to try to race to see how fast you can do it. There are also a bunch of free ones you can do. 

We do them a lot when traveling or in the car. My oldest in particular loves them.  

• Like 1

Me, me, me! I love crosswords.

It took them about four times as long as me though and I was thinking that maybe this is something that my 50 something brain does better than their teenage, "digital native" brains. I did give them the answers to the cultural things that I knew they wouldn't know like MASH star is "Alda". It was good, old-fashioned fun!

Some of it is age and accompanying knowledge, but some of it is just crossword experience. My dh and I have always been about equal at crossword puzzles, but I have been doing a lot of them over the past year and I'm now definitely better and faster than he is. There is a certain amount of crossword knowledge that you pick up by just doing puzzles.

I do the NYT and it's so good I don't bother to do any others. My subscription gives me access to their 25+ year archive, so that's thousands of puzzles. I don't spend much on myself, and the subscription is so worth it to me.

I'd like to try my hand at constructing a puzzle some day, but I haven't tried it yet.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the links and tips! I haven't attempted the NYT puzzles in a long time since they are not included with my digital subscription. Maybe it will be worth upgrading. I always thought they were too hard, but I didn't realize Monday was the easiest. I've never tried diagramless either. That sounds really hard. Maybe I'll check Amazon since I can't find English puzzle books locally. I've been under some stress lately and I'm finding puzzles very relaxing.

I have the USA Today app and do crosswords while I am waiting for my kids at sports.  I also have another free ap, that doesn't collect private info, but I don't know which one it is off the top of my head.  It is the type that unlocks harder puzzles as you master the easy ones.  

I prefer paper books and buy one periodically, but the ap is much more portable LOL 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1

I do them everyday.  I don't read the paper regularly, but my mom does.  She always saves the comics and the puzzle page for me, and I pick them up when I go visit.  So, I always have a stack waiting for me.  I've discovered that Monday crosswords are pretty easy, but they get harder through the week.  I never realized that before.

• Like 2

I prefer the paper ones too. Something about pencil and paper that I like. I'll have to order some soon. The Dell's Best Easy Crosswords book I got at the airport is about half-way done already.  I would like to encourage my dc to keep doing them. Maybe I can lure them off their devices a bit more. I did several today while the boards were down.

What is a cryptic crossword? I used to love code books when I was young too. Is it like that or a jumble? 

I love crossword puzzles and that is probably the reason why we kept getting a newspaper for so long.  We don't get the physical paper anymore and I miss the crossword puzzles.  Our paper had easy puzzles on Monday and they got progressively harder as the week went on.  The Sunday paper had 3 puzzles of varying difficulty.  I used to let dh do the easier ones and I'd take the harder ones.  I'm not as much of a fan of the crossword puzzle books.  Each puzzle creator has a style.  I was accustomed to the style of our local paper.  When I'd do one from another source, it wasn't as enjoyable for me.  

• Like 1