Menu

L-theanine for a child/adolescent?

chocolate-chip chooky

I would run ANY supplement by the child's doctor before giving it based on a friend's advice.  I see a great many articles on-line but most are NOT from what I consider non-biased, legit sources.  There appears to be one limited (less than 100 subjects) short study that was done, in 2011, that recommended further trials etc be conducted.  Looks like the media (and places that sell supplements etc) jumped on it.  But - possible side effects?  Or interactions with other drugs/supplements?  If we jump on giving our kids a supplement based on one small study, then we are in effect making them subjects of a broad, unscientific "study".

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 2

Thanks folks. I appreciate your input.

I'm not considering jumping straight to supplements. I'm just gathering info and ideas.

Food-based sources would make me feel most comfortable, at this stage.

I came across this: https://www.choosehelp.com/topics/complementary-alternative-therapies/l-theanine-for-anxiety-2013-self-medicating-anxiety-with-tea 

Has anyone used green or black tea as a source of l-theanine? 

I'm wondering how the calming effect of the l-theanine balances out with the stimulating effect of the caffeine.

• Like 1

Thanks folks. I appreciate your input.

I'm not considering jumping straight to supplements. I'm just gathering info and ideas.

Food-based sources would make me feel most comfortable, at this stage.

I came across this: https://www.choosehelp.com/topics/complementary-alternative-therapies/l-theanine-for-anxiety-2013-self-medicating-anxiety-with-tea 

Has anyone used green or black tea as a source of l-theanine? 

I'm wondering how the calming effect of the l-theanine balances out with the stimulating effect of the caffeine.

I wouldn't count on it.  my paternal grandmother was an avid tea drinker . . . .  she couldn't stop moving, and was extremely anxious.

from my experience, there are times, and certain body chemsitries - you cannot get enough of something from food.   some people just need too much.

• Like 1

Yes I’ve given it to my kiddo, sparingly.

Tangent.....I’m not terribly worried to get the input, recommendation or approval of my Dr for natural approaches (always assuming ive dorm my research). My MD, who would see no issue with prescribing antidepressants for my kiddo as a natural course of events. Not that antidepressants are bad but moreso incredibly powerful to a developing body/mind. Anyone who easily prescribed powerful drugs and balks at natural remedies isn’t really worth seeking approval from, in my line of thinking. Drugs are the first line of response (along with side effects) and yet supplements are “terrifyingly unprovenâ€. No thanks.

Regarding Theanine- ironically a psychiatrist recommend it to her patient, my friend, who is a nurse. That’s how I became aware of Theanine. LOL. I was impressed and amazed. So, I have no hesitation whatsoever taking it OR giving it my child.

• Like 2