Menu

Illness and college classes

Terabith

I thought she was talking about a different class this time, because she said the first class had been canceled due to snow, and I know she actually went to her other class.

I could be misinterpreting her post, though. :)

Oh that makes more sense! You are probably right. 

Id still see if there was a department wise or university wide policy given the flu situation this year. 

SaveSave

• Like 1

Oh that makes more sense! You are probably right.

Id still see if there was a department wise or university wide policy given the flu situation this year.

Save

Save

I agree.

I’m concerned about Terabith because she seems to get sick so often, and I’m worried that if she keeps pushing herself too hard, she will end up even sicker.

Obviously, I’m also worried about the people she’s coming into contact with, because I would hate to see them catch whatever she has.

Yeah, it’s a different class tonight. Normally my immune system is okay, but I got strep right at Thanksgiving and this is the second virus I have had since then. I think the strep just wrecked my immunity. My vitamin D level is low. I’ve been working on trying to improve it, but it takes awhile. Need to have levels checked again but don’t want to go to office with sick people to do it.

Part of the issue is not that the professors are draconian ogres. Once a week class meetings make an absence problematic. And because it’s a teacher certification program, many of the rules are imposed on the program from the state. It’s just annoying. I’m still sick, and I really don’t like going out into the world and spreading it, but I try to be careful, and it appears the vast majority of my classmates are also ill.

• Like 2

Professors here are not allowed to work if they have a fever in the past 24 hours. not sure what the policy is for students official but their health services website ssays to stay home if you have flu or a fever.

DH and I have each been professors for over 30 years, teaching at a number of different schools and neither of us has ever heard of a policy where professors were not allowed to work.  I am wondering what would have happened when I had a sinus infection (and fever) but wasn't contagious, and had to give a final exam if I had not been allowed to work.  Or, what would have happened when I had to get grades in by 5:00pm so that it could be determined if students could graduate that weekend, and I was grading final exams while I had the flu.

• Like 4

Yeah, it’s a different class tonight. Normally my immune system is okay, but I got strep right at Thanksgiving and this is the second virus I have had since then. I think the strep just wrecked my immunity. My vitamin D level is low. I’ve been working on trying to improve it, but it takes awhile. Need to have levels checked again but don’t want to go to office with sick people to do it.

Part of the issue is not that the professors are draconian ogres. Once a week class meetings make an absence problematic. And because it’s a teacher certification program, many of the rules are imposed on the program from the state. It’s just annoying. I’m still sick, and I really don’t like going out into the world and spreading it, but I try to be careful, and it appears the vast majority of my classmates are also ill.

I remember you were also quite ill back in August because you were posting about viewing the eclipse, and thinking about it reminded me that it seems like when you get sick, you get VERY sick and it hangs on for quite a while.

That’s why I have been extra-concerned about you this time around — your resistance is so low from having been basically unwell since November, that I’m scared you’ll end up catching something else if other students are also going to class when they’re sick. You may not all have the same illness, so if you catch something else on top of what you already have, that could be serious.

DH and I have each been professors for over 30 years, teaching at a number of different schools and neither of us has ever heard of a policy where professors were not allowed to work. .

Neither DH nor I have heard of such a policy either.

Since students are entitled to receiving the education they paid for, any class that is not taught (for whatever reason) must be made up or covered by a substitute. I am very fortunate to have an online version of one of my classes that I could deploy in case of emergency; for the other class, I'd have to scramble to come up with a video version of the missed content, since rescheduling a class is impossible.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

Neither DH nor I have heard of such a policy either.

Since students are entitled to receiving the education they paid for, any class that is not taught (for whatever reason) must be made up or covered by a substitute. I am very fortunate to have an online version of one of my classes that I could deploy in case of emergency; for the other class, I'd have to scramble to come up with a video version of the missed content, since rescheduling a class is impossible.

What's weird is they don't seem to have this policy at the school I go to.  Classes missed by the prof aren't made up, and I've never had a sub.  I assume there is some limit to that, but yep.  Seems kinda sucky to me. 

What's weird is they don't seem to have this policy at the school I go to.  Classes missed by the prof aren't made up, and I've never had a sub.  I assume there is some limit to that, but yep.  Seems kinda sucky to me. 

That's not ok. You can't charge a customer for a product and only deliver a portion of it. 

When my colleague had  a stroke in the middle of the semester, we split up her classes among ourselves and took turns covering for the remaining two months so that students were not affected. But that requires a cohesive and functional department where you can rely on other people to do the same for you. I can't count how much I have subbed for colleagues traveling to conferences; when my kids were little, I always volunteered to sub because I was concerned that I might need the favor returned when my kids got sick. Plenty of people owe me...

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

This is the quote from the policy regarding flu, for all faculty/staff/employees:

What should I do if I develop influenza symptoms?

If you become ill with flu-like symptoms, including fever, cough, sore throat, body aches, runny nose, nausea, or vomiting or diarrhea, contact your primary care physician, who will determine whether flu testing or treatment is needed.

If you are ill:

• ï‚·  Notify your supervisor that you are ill and will not be able to work.

• ï‚·  Stay home as directed by your physician or until at least 24 hours after you are free of fever, or

signs of a fever without the use of fever-reducing medications.

• ï‚·  Avoid contact with other people and avoid social gatherings as much as possible to keep from

spreading your illness to others.

• ï‚·  When coughing or sneezing, cover your nose and mouth with a tissue and then throw the

tissue away. If you do not have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your sleeve or elbow, not your hands.

When can I return to work if I have had the flu?

You should stay home until at least 24 hours after you are free of fever, or signs of a fever without the use of fever-reducing medications. 

DH and I have each been professors for over 30 years, teaching at a number of different schools and neither of us has ever heard of a policy where professors were not allowed to work.  I am wondering what would have happened when I had a sinus infection (and fever) but wasn't contagious, and had to give a final exam if I had not been allowed to work.  Or, what would have happened when I had to get grades in by 5:00pm so that it could be determined if students could graduate that weekend, and I was grading final exams while I had the flu.

This was put out specifically about influenza.

This was put out specifically about influenza.

The need to have a broad-based policy regarding influenza right now probably varies by location.  Personally, I have only known one person who has had the flu this year (I hate to say that, because I will probably jinx myself).  I had a student two weeks ago in a day-long graduate class that realized at lunch-time that she was feeling horrible and had come down with the flu; she had been sitting in the class with everyone that morning when she was probably the most contagious.  I am not aware of any of my colleagues having the flu this season.  

My two children who are in college (and living in the dorms) have not known anyone who has had the flu and have not had any professors who have missed class. 

I work within one of the largest state community college systems in the U.S. and at one of the largest community colleges in the U.S.

The decision is left up to the professor, but you have to record a lecture, provide extra readings, or link to online recordings to provide "equivalence." 

Some years ago at another college, the head of the department was available to fill in at times. Small, quiet campus though. Not at all like where I work now. No way my supervisor could do that now.

The need to have a broad-based policy regarding influenza right now probably varies by location.  Personally, I have only known one person who has had the flu this year (I hate to say that, because I will probably jinx myself).  I had a student two weeks ago in a day-long graduate class that realized at lunch-time that she was feeling horrible and had come down with the flu; she had been sitting in the class with everyone that morning when she was probably the most contagious.  I am not aware of any of my colleagues having the flu this season.  

My two children who are in college (and living in the dorms) have not known anyone who has had the flu and have not had any professors who have missed class. 

Wow, yeah, that is very different from here. I know many people with it. And the local hospital is full, no more room. The pediatrician's office advised me to reschedule a well visit as they are full of flu cases right now. It's REALLY bad here.

At Florida Hospital’s Centra Care locations in Orlando, there were more than 1,100 flu diagnoses during the first week of January, which “beat all previous records for flu severity, including H1N1 in 2009, which only hit about 600 cases a week at its worst,†Dr. Timothy Hendrix, medical director of Centra Care, wrote in an email. “I never would have imagined we’d get to this level of flu activity this fast.â€

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/health/os-flu-uptick-severe-illness-20180117-story.html

Edited by ktgrok