Menu

Sleepy/not sleepy

Daria

As part of "self care", I'm trying really hard to do a better job of getting a consistent amount of sleep. For years, I've gotten by on far less than 8 hours a night,  and it definitely take a toll.

The problem is that while I feel like I'm tired all the time, I'm not always sleepy, and if I try and go to sleep while I'm not actually sleepy, my mind will start spinning and then I'll never get to sleep!  

When I do get sleepy, it's usually sudden.  Like today, I went to my mom's house for dinner, and bam, at like 6:45 p.m., my eyes are watering, and I can barely keep them open.  If I could have walked to my mom's guest bedroom, I guarantee that I would have been down for the count.  But, of course, that won't work, because I need to go home, walk the dog, throw some wash in, and get ready for work tomorrow, and now that I did those things, I'm still tired, but I'm not sleepy anymore, and experience tells me it might be midnight before I'm sleepy again, and that will be just 6 hours of sleep.  

Does anyone else have this phenomena of being sleepy and then not sleepy?

I do take melatonin, usually right before I go to bed.  I wonder if I should move that up? Like today, should I have taken it at 7:30 when I walked in the door?  Other ideas?  Am I just weird?

• Like 1

I have sleep issues. It’s terrible.

My doc has made a few suggestions over time, that have helped: take melatonin earlier; sublingual melatonin is better (she suggests drops, I prefer Source Naturals lozenges under the tongue; melatonin brand matters. Good sleep hygiene. Exercise earlier in the day (after 5 pm and I can’t sleep). Changing med schedules around, if you have meds you take at night, and can try in the am, try. And vice versa.

Oddly, I sleep better when I’m on a ketogenic diet. Also my doc’s suggestion but not for sleep.

Often if I wake in the night, I’m just up. It’s a pain. Sometimes I take a half melatonin if desperate. Sometimes I move into the guest room and that change in environment seems to help.

Not sure any of that will help.

I’ll be listening in for more ideas.

• Like 1

Do you have an evening ritual that prepares you for sleep?

Something like: Stop the chores a while before bedtime. Switch off screens. read or listen to music or putter around with something restful. Maybe go for a long walk right before bed. Or read a devotional if that's your thing. YMMV-  just some consistent sequence of events that signals your body that this is bedtime. Like we do for children.

If I am tired earlier in the evening and the start spinning around in the house doing stuff, I get second wind and stay up too late. Ditto if I allow myself on the computer. 

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

Actually, it's this one:  https://smile.amazon.com/Jigsaw-Magnesium-SRT-Absorption-Effectively/dp/B00O2T209E/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1516588660&sr=8-3&keywords=jigsaw+magnesium+w+srt

I have never seen the one you linked. I should take another look at it. I think years ago I went with the Sustained Release to avoid aforementioned problems. :)

When I do get sleepy, it's usually sudden.  Like today, I went to my mom's house for dinner, and bam, at like 6:45 p.m., my eyes are watering, and I can barely keep them open.  If I could have walked to my mom's guest bedroom, I guarantee that I would have been down for the count...  

This happens to me when I have a carb heavy meal, (not :thumbdown: ) affectionately called 'carb coma', and I cannot keep my eyes open.  I don't like it so I avoid it as best as I can. 

Yes, I have had this problem and the one thing I finally found that has worked for me is magnesium glyconate. I have tried other forms of magnesium and the glyconate works best for me. I take one before bed and I'm asleep in 30 minutes like I took a sleeping pill or something. If I forget to take it I'm ruminating and my mind is running for hours before I can get to sleep.

• Like 2

There have been studies showing that the "blue light" that emanates from screens can trick out brain into thinking it's not time for sleeping. I try to read only actual books in bed with a little reading light.

I am working to readjust my circadian rhythm after two years of late work - until midnight - and then commute home. It has not been easy because I am naturally a night owl.

• Like 1

Yes, I have had this problem and the one thing I finally found that has worked for me is magnesium glyconate. I have tried other forms of magnesium and the glyconate works best for me. I take one before bed and I'm asleep in 30 minutes like I took a sleeping pill or something. If I forget to take it I'm ruminating and my mind is running for hours before I can get to sleep.

This type is easier on the gut than the mag citrate.

There have been studies showing that the "blue light" that emanates from screens can trick out brain into thinking it's not time for sleeping. I try to read only actual books in bed with a little reading light.

I am working to readjust my circadian rhythm after two years of late work - until midnight - and then commute home. It has not been easy because I am naturally a night owl.

There are apps for the phone that allow for adjustment of the blue light in the phone screen. I sleep better since installing it; I set it to automatically go on and off at times I preset. I use the app called Red Moon (android)..
  • Like 1

There’s also a supplement called Trancor by Metagenics that has a few other ingredients to promote relaxation. You’d have to check to see if those are contraindicated for any other meds you are taking. Also, magnesium can prevent absorption of other meds, so timing is important. Magnesium glyconate and magnesium taurate are easier on the gut because they are more absorbable by your system.

Which brand of Mag do you use? I was using Natural Calm a friend gave me and it helped, but the taste made me want to throw up after a while so I stopped. I've looked at capsules online but it's overwhelming with the good/bad reviews. 

I had a friend give me (and my dd) Natural Calm and dd wouldn't drink it! When I told my friend, she told me to mix it with low-sugar lemonade, which made it much more palatable.

I just went to Target and got the NatureMade Mg Citrate. That's run out and I got on Amazon and ordered Thorne Magnesium Citramate (citrate and malate). We'll see if there's any difference in effectiveness.