Menu

Android Auto or Apple Car Play.....any experience?

Ottakee

My MIL's new van has the option to connect your Android or Apple phone to the car and then use Android Auto or Apples Car Play for apps, navigation, etc.

I was just wondering how useful either of these are, how easy to use, exactly want you can do, etc. Considering my "new" van is 10 years old, I am way out of the loop.

It's annoying to me. When I had the app on my phone, it automatically connected anytime I got in the car, even if I was on the phone, etc. I can still connect to play music, use my handfree calling, etc just by connecting with my bluetooth so I prefer to do it that way.

So if you were on the phone it suddenly went to speaker phone through the car stereo? That might not work when the kids are in the car.

I use apple car play. I can use it for my phone as in, take calls, send a text, all verbal, hands free of course. I don’t use it a lot but I do like it when I need it.

I use it more for navigation. You ask it to find the address or the hospital, or the store, or whatever and it gives you a route.

I like onstar better for. Avigation, but am unwilling to pay 25.00a month. Apple play came with the vehicle,

So if you were on the phone it suddenly went to speaker phone through the car stereo? That might not work when the kids are in the car.

Yes it would and it was annoying. I also couldn't access my apps, etc on my phone without closing that app out which didn't work well when I was sitting in my car killing time.

I do not have an app on the phone. Mine is only connected when I plug it in. It only responds when I give it permission, meaning, it asks if I want it to read a text. I also have to touch the phone button to answer the phone.

I dont travel with kids, so no issue for me.

It will only do one thing at a time. So if you re using the navifpgation and the phone rings or a text comes in, your navigation goes away temporarily.