Menu

s/o jeans for my body

ktgrok

I'm an apple. Right now, I'm more of a rotten apple, lol....very squishy and mushy. I'm at my lowest weight since having the bariatric surgery and then getting pregnant, losing that weight etc. 4 kids plus weight loss means my belly is squishy and doughy. The rest of me is much more slender than my waist. I tried on jeans yesterday, and I'm down to a size 12 but by wearing jeans that fit instead of so baggy they fall off, I get a BAD muffin top over the front of my jeans. These were mid rise jeans at Target. I'm wondering if there is a specific option that works better? They had some high rise Jegging type things that were pretty awful looking on me, so that didn't work, but maybe a higher rise elsewhere? Or keep wearing baggy jeans and get suspenders, lol? 

Pic of me, to help show body shape - these are the size 12 jeans. I fit nicely in a medium top but am wearing a large in that photo to try to camouflage the belly. But if you look you can see it. (ignore my dramatic daughter in the background....she's fine.)

26903896_10155426696028666_2962678799226

• Like 1

You look really cute!  Personally, I hate jeans and anything that isn't stretchy around the waist. I'm all about comfort these days. Costco has some really nice dressy-ish pants that have lycra in the weave. They also have stretchy jean-type pants. Those are what I go for. I also need long shirts for my long waist. And my rib cage has expanded since my 4 dc. I wear a small t-shirt, but a medium tank top and bra. It's weird how our bodies morph without our permission! 

I think camouflage, style choices and comfort are a reality of clothes shopping for me. I'm not a manikin, but even clothes on manikins have to be tweaked. ;)

• Like 3

When I was losing, I really liked maternity jeans—not the late trimester ones with the weird u-shaped panel in front but the ones with the uniform, wide, fold-over waistband. I had them in wide-leg khacki and skinny denim. Super comfy and no lines. Are core exercises or a waist trainer an option? Both of those helped me get my rib cage back after DS stretched everything out.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

Same shape here. 

I would get the jeans that fit your lower half (those look great on you!)

Stretchy waistbands don't work for me--the pants just slide down and they look baggy. 

To take care of muffin top: 1) Wear tops that are not knits ie that are made of material that has its own structure like cotton gingham 2) Wear tops with a print (I like gingham and plaids a lot) . The print distracts the eye from muffin top .3) Choose tops that are meant to be worn over the pants that hit toward the bottom of the butt, so when you move, muffin top doesn't pop out.

• Like 3

I swear apple is the worst shape to buy for. Ladies with hourglass figures can at least get a belt and make it work. I've joked about getting padded underwear to give me something to hold my jeans up.

I bought a bunch of fleece lined leggings on Amazon to wear around the house, but I do have to go out in public at least once a week, lol. I'm in between sizes so nothing fits. Maybe I will order some Rock Star jeggings to try. Land's End has some comfy elastic-waist jeans that aren't gathered, so they don't look weird. I bought a pair but they are too big.

• Like 1

Fwiw katie I think those jeans look great but I think they would do better for your waist if they were higher, as it is you can see the line where the pants stop. 

You look really cute!  Personally, I hate jeans and anything that isn't stretchy around the waist. I'm all about comfort these days. Costco has some really nice dressy-ish pants that have lycra in the weave. They also have stretchy jean-type pants. Those are what I go for. I also need long shirts for my long waist. And my rib cage has expanded since my 4 dc. I wear a small t-shirt, but a medium tank top and bra. It's weird how our bodies morph without our permission! 

I think camouflage, style choices and comfort are a reality of clothes shopping for me. I'm not a manikin, but even clothes on manikins have to be tweaked. ;)

LOL, to the bolded I always say that my body has decided to do a Kim Kardashian impression without my permission (my hips and bottom went even more curvy after the last baby)  :)

Edited by soror
  • Like 3

You look really nice!

I bought jeans from Levis.com recently at the Hive suggestion. They fit perfectly the first time. Basically, they ask you a bunch of questions (age, height, weight?, if you've had kids, most recent brand of good fitting jeans and size you wore in that brand) and then suggest a size and a style of jeans. They gave me two suggestions and they both fit perfectly so I went ahead and ordered more levis in that size but in different cuts... but those didn't fit right. So the cut and size matter and Levis has a bunch of both. They have some somewhat-high-waisted jeans with spandex that are really flattering without looking mom-ish.

Emily

• Like 4

A longish Flowy top helps my tummy bulge hide out. Not quite a tunic. But not a stretchy top. Tractor supply has some good ones. (Odd I know but lots of my clothes come from tractor supply)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I LOVE the entire concept that women's clothes can come from a store called Tractor Supply. Is there only work-type clothes there? I've never heard of it. We have a chain store called Mark's Work warehouse in Canada. I love shopping there. They have steel-toed shoes and boots of all styles, a huge selection of gloves, and comfy casual clothes. All kinds of nurse's clothing, too. I bet Tractor Supply doesn't have that. ;) They might have vet clothes, though. 

• Like 1

I’m not sure what shape I’m called but it seems similar to your pic. I used to wear the target jeans years ago, but haven’t liked them in recent years.

However!! The Black Friday Lee Rider boot cut jeans I bought at Walmart for $11 are awesome. And so comfortable. I like the size 12s :)

I LOVE the entire concept that women's clothes can come from a store called Tractor Supply. Is there only work-type clothes there? I've never heard of it. We have a chain store called Mark's Work warehouse in Canada. I love shopping there. They have steel-toed shoes and boots of all styles, a huge selection of gloves, and comfy casual clothes. All kinds of nurse's clothing, too. I bet Tractor Supply doesn't have that. ;) They might have vet clothes, though.

Not just work clothes!!!

Lovely things that my fashionable friends admire! Even my teen girls like their clothes. They cut their tops and dresses generously so you don’t have to tug to getvthigs to stay put.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

You look fantastic! Congratulations on getting through all that hard work!!!

Here are jeans that work well for me - Riders by Lee Indigo Women's Pull On Waist Smoother Pull On Jeans. They are pull-on style with a wide waistband. They are reasonably priced, too ($24.99 at the time of this post.)

I'd looked at those online, but they only came in regular or petite lengths. Usually I purchase longs to allow for shrinking. Do these shrink?

YOur little girl  is cute and I love your kid laying in the floor.  :lol:   

A typical mom shopping trip.

I'm a pear and the store mirrors always make me feel like my booty is  double wide.  I'm thinking you are being to hard on yourself with the muffin top

Hope you bought the whole outfit really looks good on ya!

You look fantastic! Congratulations on getting through all that hard work!!!

Here are jeans that work well for me - Riders by Lee Indigo Women's Pull On Waist Smoother Pull On Jeans. They are pull-on style with a wide waistband. They are reasonably priced, too ($24.99 at the time of this post.)

Oh, those do look like they would work! They look similar in style to some other pants I have that work pretty well. Thank you!

Oh, and it looks like Walmart may have them, and I'm going there today!

Edited by ktgrok

I'm an apple and I find that low rise jeans are THE way to go for me. The waist is just high enough to cover my butt, etc, but fits smoothly on my lower belly, with no muffin top, as the low rise jeans don't cut inwards enough to make a muffin top (at least not on my body). Only other option for me is overalls, which I really like, lol, but not so good for regular about-town wear, lol. I love, love, love them for around-the-yard-and-house though. 

So, anyway, I'd go get a bunch of low rise jeans and try them on. 

Jean shopping is the absolute worst. When I lost a few pounds 2 years ago, I begged a friend to take me shopping, because she is a good shopper. She found me 2 great pairs in under an hour in one department store. I haven't bought more since then other than the overalls. :) So, if you have any really stylish clothes-horse friends, then I'd suggest begging one to take you jeans shopping (sans kids!)

So I found a pair at Walmart! They didn't have the pond swimming ones but they did have skinny and straight leg. The skinny actually fit better I think because they were stretchier. I had incentive to keep trying because as I was walking around the store my pants were literally falling off. So now I have at least one pair of jeans I can wear, LOL. I may try ordering the pair on Amazon to since all the wee ones that I tried on did fit fairly well.

• Like 4

And if anyone knows where to get T-shirts that don't fit so close to the body I would love that information as well! I'm thinking I'll try Dress Barn later this week maybe. It's a drive but they usually have nice things. Target and Walmart and everywhere only have the stretchy kind of T-shirt which emphasizes every roll.

And if anyone knows where to get T-shirts that don't fit so close to the body I would love that information as well! I'm thinking I'll try Dress Barn later this week maybe. It's a drive but they usually have nice things. Target and Walmart and everywhere only have the stretchy kind of T-shirt which emphasizes every roll.

I was actually going to suggest Dress Barn as a place to try jeans, too. I just bought several pairs there, and I love them. I haven't worn any pants without elastic waistbands in several years, because I have decided that I am entitled to feel reasonably comfortable while dressed, but these won me over.

Bonus is that the black ones are nice enough to wear to work as long as I wear a blouse long enough to cover up the jeans-like pockets.

Oh, and my favorite t-shirts are from Lands End.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

I love the Gloria Vanderbilt jeans at Belk. I usually get the ‘amanda’ style. I think they’d fit every body type.

These work well for apple-shaped me, too. Kohl's also carries them. 

I like mid-rise skinny jeans by Lee Rider. Get them at Walmart. It looks from the photo like you would rock skinny jeans, Katie! 

And to the pp who said apple is the hardest shape to buy for : yep!  Your choices are regular and curvy. Since curvy goes out where an apple is actually slimmest, that isn't an option. I don't know why clothing mfcr's don't cater to the apple market! 

• Like 1

These work well for apple-shaped me, too. Kohl's also carries them. 

I like mid-rise skinny jeans by Lee Rider. Get them at Walmart. It looks from the photo like you would rock skinny jeans, Katie! 

And to the pp who said apple is the hardest shape to buy for : yep!  Your choices are regular and curvy. Since curvy goes out where an apple is actually slimmest, that isn't an option. I don't know why clothing mfcr's don't cater to the apple market! 

Bought a pair today!

I'd looked at those online, but they only came in regular or petite lengths. Usually I purchase longs to allow for shrinking. Do these shrink?

I haven't noticed any shrinking. They are slightly tighter after being washed and dried and go back go normal after being worn for a while. I haven't noticed any issues with length.

• Like 1

For T-shirts:  I buy the men's small at Target.  I'm taller, so I hate buying women's shirts that don't "cover," and the price is good.  I have the solid v-necks in assorted colors.  Dress Barn also has the silkier t-shirts for dressier occasions.  

I'm now adding the Riders pull on jeans to my list of things to find at Walmart...they look great!

I am an apple too. I need pants that are stretchy jeggings that come almost up to my belly button but with skinny legs. My favorite pair of jeans are actually jeggings from Royalty for Me. They sell them online. Look for the misses sizes, not the juniors. The target "midrise" are not high enough in the waist and they shrink a lot.  I also bought a pair at TJ Maxx by d. jeans that I like - they are also sold at Burlington Coat Factory. They do shrink in the length, though, so buy long ones. Mine are now ankle length lol. 

Last time I bought jeans, I searched far and wide for a pair that would work on me. It was such a pain, so I feel for you! You look great in the picture, but I understand. 

I have a pear shape, and I end up with muffin top wayyyy to easy, but anything that fits my hips never fits my waist. I ended up buying jeans that really looked good on me from my hips down and taking in the waist.

Ultimately, though, I've converted to yoga pants and leggings. I haven't found a single situation where I would've needed jeans over them. Just food for thought.