What's with the ads?

Photo
- - - - -

Welp, dh is furloughed. Again. Anyone else affected by the shutdown?

143 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#101 G5052

G5052

Retired Homeschool Mom -- they're in college!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9512 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:17 AM

I work in DC. Fortunately not for the federal government so I won't be affected. I feel bad for all the people who work in restaurants, etc in DC. Their business will go way down and they won't be able to recoup those losses.

Yes, I was a government program manager in DC during a previous shutdown before we had kids. When we came back, a lot of the faces at the local eateries were different, and several pick-up places went out of business shortly after that. The coffee lady I always got my morning brew from had to borrow money from relatives to stay in business. She was studying engineering in the evenings at the University of Maryland. I often wonder if she finished her degree.

Some of my contractors weren't paid during the shutdown, and others were moved over to other contracts with state and local governments and no longer on my contract when I returned. Several of the IT support people assigned to my office found other work during the shutdown, and the contractor didn't have enough people to help everyone with computer problems when we returned.

I had a huge backlog of Congressional inquiries and all kinds of contract issues to deal with when I returned.

Thankfully DH and I were both working then, and we just used the time off to paint a few rooms and thoroughly clean the house.

• okbud and MarieCurie like this

#102 Elizabeth86

Elizabeth86

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2133 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:35 AM

Ah man, I hadn't thought of not being able to file taxes. I've been hoping to get ours done soon.

I know, right? Dh said, good news I have my w-2's now. I said, why aren't you at the tax place (because I get my new dishwasher with our refund so I've asked like everyday)and then he reminded me of the shutdown. oh
  • okbud and Rosika like this

#103 texasmom33

texasmom33

Runaway of the Establishment Incorporated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6602 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:42 AM

For some reason I feel like the IRS will find a way to make tax day happen no matter what, even if we were shut down until May.  :ph34r:

They're like the post office with the whole rain, snow, sleet or shine, except more sinister. But I didn't say that. 

I BIG PUFFY HEART THE IRS AND CANNOT WAIT TO PAY MY TAXES. :001_wub: In case anyone with the IRS is reading. Not that'd you'd do that, because y'all are totally equitable and don't audit people based on.........oh never mind.  Three cheers for the IRS! 

• Carol in Cal., creekland, Aura and 11 others like this

#104 Aura

Aura

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:55 AM

I wonder if the president (any president!) could pass an executive order not allowing congress to get paychecks during shutdowns. That would probably be considered high-handed party bullying or something (regardless of which party's president did it).

I really hate the us vs. them concept in politics, and I really, really hate that it's all the hard-working, real people that are affected most by their pettiness.

e84cb8f473e7b3e40ce446b24998a14d86f39eba

• MBM, Sharpie, wintermom and 5 others like this

#105 texasmom33

texasmom33

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6602 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 11:00 AM

I wonder if the president (any president!) could pass an executive order not allowing congress to get paychecks during shutdowns. That would probably be considered high-handed party bullying or something (regardless of which party's president did it).

I really hate the us vs. them concept in politics, and I really, really hate that it's all the hard-working, real people that are affected most by their pettiness.

I hope this isn't political, but I don't think anyone from either party should even be allowed to use the bathroom or eat until they pass a stupid functioning budget. They're holding tax paying families who need their jobs hostage, under stress, and so many other things- not knowing if they can pay bills or not. 

• Deb in NZ, MBM, Supertechmom and 3 others like this

#106 brehon

brehon

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2451 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 11:11 AM

I hope this isn't political, but I don't think anyone from either party should even be allowed to use the bathroom or eat until they pass a stupid functioning budget. They're holding tax paying families who need their jobs hostage, under stress, and so many other things- not knowing if they can pay bills or not.

So, just like electing a new Pope, we’d lock the representatives and senators in the respective chambers until a budget was passed. They could send up, mmmm - not white smoke, maybe red smoke when the deed was done.

Like that? 😂
  • gracefor5, MBM, Supertechmom and 9 others like this

#107 texasmom33

texasmom33

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6602 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 11:22 AM

So, just like electing a new Pope, we’d lock the representatives and senators in the respective chambers until a budget was passed. They could send up, mmmm - not white smoke, maybe red smoke when the deed was done.

Like that? 😂

Exactly!! Maybe we can provide cans of Ensure to make sure their minimal nutritional needs are met. But that’s it. We’re talking people who can stand and haw at a microphone for 12 hours to make a point, so we need to be hard core. :D No steak dinners and nice beds and oops, sorry session’s over! allowed.
  • gracefor5, MBM, Supertechmom and 1 other like this

#108 MBM

MBM

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3765 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 11:48 AM

Is DH a contractor? Because the Feds I know aren't allowed to open their email, or set foot in their office as of Saturday at 12:01.

No, he’s not a contractor.

Whether someone can be called in at an agency depends upon certain policies that the particular agency has put in place. My husband can determine who is essential in his department. I just asked him about this and he said some of his staff will be coming in (so they’re considered essential). Part of dh’s job is to make large complicated transfers of funds (billions) and these are transfers that must be done at certain times.

#109 Rosika

Rosika

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 01:20 PM

There is a bill being floated to continue paying the military, widows/widowers, and essential personnel for federal workers.  It hasn't passed or been brought to the floor even.  If it does pass, that will provide a measure of continuity for these folks.

Thanks for the heads up. I don't really follow the news so I had no idea. I hope it passes because the shutdown will affect my child support if it lasts longer than a week.

#110 HomeAgain

HomeAgain

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4399 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 01:27 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I don't really follow the news so I had no idea. I hope it passes because the shutdown will affect my child support if it lasts longer than a week.

It was brought to the floor this morning.  McConnell objected. He doesn't want to visit that option today.  https://www.c-span.o...-pay-protection

ETA: I'm blending days.  This was last night, not today.  Maybe today we'll see some heads coming up to see sunlight from the dark, narrow recesses they've been tucked into.

Edited by HomeAgain, 21 January 2018 - 01:28 PM.

• Rosika likes this

#111 Frances

Frances

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2313 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 01:30 PM

Ah man, I hadn't thought of not being able to file taxes. I've been hoping to get ours done soon.

Filing season is not set to open until January 29th, so it might still happen depending on how long the shutdown lasts.
  • Rosika likes this

#112 Elizabeth86

Elizabeth86

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2133 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 01:30 PM

Exactly!! Maybe we can provide cans of Ensure to make sure their minimal nutritional needs are met. But that’s it. We’re talking people who can stand and haw at a microphone for 12 hours to make a point, so we need to be hard core. :D No steak dinners and nice beds and oops, sorry session’s over! allowed.

I could get on board with this!

#113 CPSTAnne

CPSTAnne

Hive Mind Level 3 Worker: Honeymaking Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1550 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 01:31 PM

Yes. DH is planning to spend his time cleaning out the garage and listing stuff for sale on local boards. Win-win, a tidier garage and a bit of extra cash to see us through. Or, as a friend pointed out, a possible long running excuse for DH if he's called back in sooner rather than later...."I would have gotten the garage cleaned up if I hadn't gotten called back so quickly...." haha ;)  

• Carol in Cal., Laura in CA, ChocolateReign and 1 other like this

#114 Elizabeth86

Elizabeth86

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2133 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 01:32 PM

For some reason I feel like the IRS will find a way to make tax day happen no matter what, even if we were shut down until May. :ph34r:

They're like the post office with the whole rain, snow, sleet or shine, except more sinister. But I didn't say that.

I BIG PUFFY HEART THE IRS AND CANNOT WAIT TO PAY MY TAXES. :001_wub: In case anyone with the IRS is reading. Not that'd you'd do that, because y'all are totally equitable and don't audit people based on.........oh never mind. Three cheers for the IRS!

Oh you know they would.

#115 CPSTAnne

CPSTAnne

Hive Mind Level 3 Worker: Honeymaking Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1550 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 01:43 PM

For some reason I feel like the IRS will find a way to make tax day happen no matter what, even if we were shut down until May.  :ph34r:

I BIG PUFFY HEART THE IRS AND CANNOT WAIT TO PAY MY TAXES. :001_wub: In case anyone with the IRS is reading. Not that'd you'd do that, because y'all are totally equitable and don't audit people based on.........oh never mind.  Three cheers for the IRS! 

Haha! DH is IRS and he's out. As are a few acquaintances from my days at IRS.  DH says that taxes will be due the next business day after april 15. So if the shutdown happened to carry on until May 7th, they would be due May 8th. If it goes until April 14th, they will still be due the 15th. (Disclaimer: all in theory of course and he doesn't hold an authority position ;)

And funny story: When I worked at IRS I went out of state with my mom to our hometown and we were out to eat with one of her old friends. He started talking about tax problems and ragging on the irs a bit. My mom said "Annie works for the IRS". He just looked at me and his face went white. I casually slid a napkin to him and said "I'm just gonna need you to write down your SSN please." The look on his face was hilarious! I was just kidding and I let him off the hook quickly but it was great. I was just a peon paper pusher and couldn't have done anything with his ssn even if I'd wanted to, which I didn't. He wasn't as amused as my mom and I were! 

• Liz CA, JanOH, Carol in Cal. and 16 others like this

#116 Sneezyone

Sneezyone

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3951 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 02:42 PM

Airman as is Air Force?

Military pay is always in arrears. We'll get paid for work done up to the nineteenth (so not a full pay period) in the next check, and that it's til they fix it.

Usaa and Navy Fed and probably others are spotting us a paycheck temporarily.

That only applies to CONUS and *some* overseas locations. Members in Japan, Korea, Germany, Italy, Spain, Bahrain, and anywhere else in Africa or Asia, are not eligible according to USAA. Not sure about NavyFed. https://communities....ber/td-p/159744

Edited by Sneezyone, 21 January 2018 - 02:42 PM.

• okbud likes this

#117 Davysmom

Davysmom

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 300 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:15 PM

I work in DC. Fortunately not for the federal government so I won't be affected. I feel bad for all the people who work in restaurants, etc in DC. Their business will go way down and they won't be able to recoup those losses.

It impacts so many businesses. It is unfortunate for those going without pay check and having to wait for back pay, but there are a lot of people who will lose income and not get it back.

Edited by Davysmom, 21 January 2018 - 09:01 PM.

• QueenCat, creekland, ChocolateReign and 1 other like this

#118 GoodGrief

GoodGrief

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1455 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:34 AM

We've been through this a couple other times now in our almost 30 years associated with this uniformed service. My husband goes into work as scheduled, and he has always ultimately eventually gotten paid. I'm not at all concerned.

• shawthorne44 likes this

#119 Garga

Garga

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10582 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:03 AM

e84cb8f473e7b3e40ce446b24998a14d86f39eba

Wait.....Congress still gets paid? Really?! I need to google this. How can they possibly still be paid if the government is shut down?? I guess they fall under essential personnel? Off to google this...

#120 scholastica

scholastica

Just Visiting

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:44 AM

Wait.....Congress still gets paid? Really?! I need to google this. How can they possibly still be paid if the government is shut down?? I guess they fall under essential personnel? Off to google this...

Yes they do. Several of them are donating their earnings during the shutdown to various charities, though.
  • Rosika likes this

#121 Butter

Butter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6373 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:46 AM

Yes, they do, and on time.  A few Congressmen have requested their pay be withheld if this should go across a payday just like it will be for the Military and federal employees.  It has nothing to do with being essential personnel.  My husband is essential and his pay for the current pay period will be delayed if the shutdown continues over the next payday.  Congress are just... special.

#122 Twolittleboys

Twolittleboys

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:49 AM

Yes, they do, and on time.  A few Congressmen have requested their pay be withheld if this should go across a payday just like it will be for the Military and federal employees.  It has nothing to do with being essential personnel.  My husband is essential and his pay for the current pay period will be delayed if the shutdown continues over the next payday.  Congress are just... special.

That sucks. Especially as you would expect a member of Congress to have enough savings to tide them over a pay period or two.

#123 shawthorne44

shawthorne44

More Kilts!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4285 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:10 AM

... Congress are just... special.

Yeah, that is something that irritates the heck out of me and many others.  

#124 Lady Florida.

Lady Florida.

The real me. Got tired of being a dog lol.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13528 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:54 AM

You know that 27th amendment that most of us forget even exists?  We tend to stop at the 26th - voting rights for 18 year olds. Well, it's that amendment that allows it. Requires it actually.

That amendment was intended to stop Congress from giving itself pay raises, which it used to do regularly before the amendment was ratified in 1992. Any change in salary wouldn't take effect until after the next Congressional election, so they can vote a pay raise but for the next Congress not the current one.

The unintended consequence is they still get paid when so many other government employees don't.

No law, varying the compensation for the services of the Senators and Representatives, shall take effect, until an election of Representatives shall have intervened.

• vonfirmath and maize like this

#125 JanOH

JanOH

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2470 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:56 AM

Haha! DH is IRS and he's out. As are a few acquaintances from my days at IRS. DH says that taxes will be due the next business day after april 15. So if the shutdown happened to carry on until May 7th, they would be due May 8th. If it goes until April 14th, they will still be due the 15th. (Disclaimer: all in theory of course and he doesn't hold an authority position ;) )

And funny story: When I worked at IRS I went out of state with my mom to our hometown and we were out to eat with one of her old friends. He started talking about tax problems and ragging on the irs a bit. My mom said "Annie works for the IRS". He just looked at me and his face went white. I casually slid a napkin to him and said "I'm just gonna need you to write down your SSN please." The look on his face was hilarious! I was just kidding and I let him off the hook quickly but it was great. I was just a peon paper pusher and couldn't have done anything with his ssn even if I'd wanted to, which I didn't. He wasn't as amused as my mom and I were!

I love this. I worked as an auditor at the IRS in my pre-kid's life. People's reactions are so funny!
  • hornblower, Twolittleboys and maize like this

#126 Lady Florida.

Lady Florida.

The real me. Got tired of being a dog lol.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13528 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:36 AM

I wouldn't assume that.  There are four hours tomorrow allowed for the orderly shutdown of business.

Dh's group is essential. The automated phone call said to report at your regular time, and this is an area that runs 24/7. In the past they've been told to report at a specific time, not their regular time. 

SpaceX can't do the static test they were planning for the Falcon Heavy because the NASA support personnel are furloughed. 

Dh's area supports launches around the world not just at Cape Canaveral, but all are on hold for now. His area also deals with military communications around the world, and that's the part that makes them essential. 

Edited by Lady Florida., 22 January 2018 - 03:15 PM.

• hornblower likes this

#127 Hypatia.

Hypatia.

Raising chaos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:11 PM

My DH is working unpaid, his code is considered essential. I see they're voting on another CR to fund it until February, kicking the can down the road. This repeated stress is horrible. 

• ChocolateReign likes this

#128 wonderchica

wonderchica

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1023 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:28 PM

My sister lives near base and she said it’s eerily quiet this morning—no helicopters, no bombs...

Might’ve been a coincidence- our base is certainly rockin’ and rollin’ as usual today...

#129 GoodGrief

GoodGrief

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1455 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:46 PM

Might’ve been a coincidence- our base is certainly rockin’ and rollin’ as usual today...

Ditto here

#130 MBM

MBM

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3765 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:14 PM

Essential personnel at my husband’s agency do not get paid during shut downs. They have to wait until after the government reopens.

#131 Lawyer&Mom

Lawyer&Mom

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1080 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:41 PM

Even though I don’t have to worry financially, I still find the whole shutdown process stressful. I’m not good with uncertainty! Not looking forward to doing this all over again in February...

But today itself has been great. Sun is shining, ran some errands, had coffee with a friend. I never ever get a day off work without the kids, so I’m savoring it!
  • lovinmyboys likes this

#132 KungFuPanda

KungFuPanda

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13401 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:37 PM

I ended up in D. C. rush hour traffic today. It was super light (for here). Looks like it’ll be back to normal tomorrow.

Edited by KungFuPanda, 22 January 2018 - 10:39 PM.

• lovinmyboys likes this

#133 lovinmyboys

lovinmyboys

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1177 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:57 PM

I ended up in D. C. rush hour traffic today. It was super light (for here). Looks like it’ll be back to normal tomorrow.

My ds has basketball practice in the suburbs of dc at 6:00 in Mondays. It usually takes us at least 30 minutes to get there. I got the kids in the car at normal time and put the destination in my maps and it said it would take 10 minutes. So we went back inside and made some cookie dough to put in the fridge then left for practice. And it really did only take 10 minutes to get there.
  • Amira, Rach and Junie like this

#134 Kinsa

Kinsa

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10140 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:47 AM

So how did everyone learn of the end of the shutdown?

Dh had been stalking news channels and C-SPAN all day, so we knew it was coming. But then in the evening every single telephone of ours started ringing at the exact same time, which was freaky. It was an automated phone message telling dh to report back to work this morning. How/why in the world they called MY cell phone, idk, but whatevs.

Edited by Kinsa, 23 January 2018 - 05:48 AM.

#135 CES2005

CES2005

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1529 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:28 AM

Dh had been stalking news channels and C-SPAN all day, so we knew it was coming. But then in the evening every single telephone of ours started ringing at the exact same time, which was freaky. It was an automated phone message telling dh to report back to work this morning. How/why in the world they called MY cell phone, idk, but whatevs.

Through this post.  :D

Glad he's back to work.  

Edited by CES2005, 23 January 2018 - 09:29 AM.

• Junie likes this

#136 Arctic Mama

Arctic Mama

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14456 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:29 AM

Yesterday through drudge :)
  • vonfirmath likes this

#137 MBM

MBM

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3765 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:02 AM

My husband saw it on online news and then we got the multiple auto phone calls, too.

#138 ondreeuh

ondreeuh

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4300 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:56 AM

My husband was watching the news. He had already packed up his stuff and was ready to buy a plane ticket when he saw that they shutdown was going to end. So he went back to studying. He had already made peace with coming home early.
  • alisoncooks, shawthorne44 and maize like this

#139 wilrunner

wilrunner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1211 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:44 AM

DH got his automated call at 10:30 last night, a few hours after he went to sleep, since he knew he'd be going in. :/ (He goes in at 5:30 am, so goes to bed quite early.) Neither our house phone or my cell phone were called.

#140 wilrunner

wilrunner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1211 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:46 AM

My husband was watching the news. He had already packed up his stuff and was ready to buy a plane ticket when he saw that they shutdown was going to end. So he went back to studying. He had already made peace with coming home early.

Hopefully he'll be done before Feb. 8th and won't have to to through this again! Glad he was able to stay to finish and not lose his time earned.

#141 ondreeuh

ondreeuh

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4300 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:58 AM

Hopefully he'll be done before Feb. 8th and won't have to to through this again! Glad he was able to stay to finish and not lose his time earned.

Yes! He is due to come home Feb 3rd, I think. Whew!

#142 Hypatia.

Hypatia.

Raising chaos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:45 PM

DH got an automated phone call last night, though we had been following it on the news anyway. He was at work yesterday.

#143 Butter

Butter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6373 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:29 PM

My husband read it on some news site.  He didn't need an automated call because he'd've been going in to work as usual this morning whether the government was shut down or not.

#144 GoodGrief

GoodGrief

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1455 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:36 PM

News; he was going into work as usual, so no special notification necessary.