Menu

Another flu thread - visitors while in hospital

Heatherwith4

I’m scheduled for a repeat c-section in 2 weeks. If you were me, how would you feel about visits in the hospital? I’m thinking about saying no visitors except family - mostly because of the flu season, but also because I tend to go into hostess mode when people come to see me (yes even at the hospital.) It’s not really conducive to recovery and nursing/bonding with the baby.

I probably should just do a poll, but I’m on my phone, and I don’t know how to do that from here.

• Like 4

Well dh and the kids are the only visitors I allow after I have a baby anyone, so I'd feel fine telling people to stay away. I like to ensure my milk supply is established before I have any visitors because no one understands why I'm sending them out every 5 minutes for my baby to nurse. Until my milk is in my baby is on the breast nearly constantly. Long story short, keep em away. :lol:

• Like 2

The hospitals here aren't allowing children under 12 in patient care areas. I think if you don't want visitors that is fine. If you do, ask them to gel or wash their hands when they come in the room. You can also ask them to wear a mask, if you want to. There should be some in the hospital hallways, or at the very least, at the nurses station. 

The hospital can put a "no visitors" note by your name on the census and they can also put a "no visitors" sign on the door. 

• Like 1

Yes, absolutely. And you could say the hospital would rather that only family comes because of the flu season...or whatever. You don't really need an excuse. Being exhausted and having given birth should be enough. They can all come after they had their colds while you are at home. :)

• Like 3

Yes, we actually had a newspaper article a few weeks ago about no hospital visitors other than immediate family as flu season was picking up. I'm thinking it's every year, not just bad flu seasons, but I don't know that for sure. It is certainly common to see that article in January.

Edited by Ali in OR
  • Like 1

Since you aren't just popping the baby out, but getting a C-Section, you have every excuse to NOT have anyone but hubby show up at the hospital. You are recovering from abdominal surgery! Insurance will probably kick you out the next day anyway unless the doctor insists on a second night there (three c-sections - been there, done that). And, yes, flu season no kids allowed to visit anyway (signs were posted all over the hospital I sat at with ds a week or so ago when he had a bout of pancreatitis). Meanwhile - congrats in advance on the new baby!)

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 1

I would limit it to your DH and possibly oldest child. There is Pneumonia there. There is Flu there. The DH of one of my Cousins in CA is trying to recover from Pneumonia. If anyone with the Flu got near him, he wold be in deep trouble. I hope the C section goes very smooth and that Mom and Baby will be in perfect condition. 

• Like 1

On the other hand, I loved having visitors at the hospital, then really limited them at home. The hospital has a good flu policy in place, people self limit the time because hospital, and it's easier to not be the hostess when you are there. There is no getting up and getting everyone a drink. ;)

• Like 1

When we were in the hospital with my little toddler last month I didn't tell anyone, as I didn't want THEM to get whatever we had.  When people hear that you are in the hospital they want to come and show kindness and thoughtfulness, but they don't realize in this season it is dangerous.  In the waiting room a group of children had RSV and another family had the flu- they never figured out what we had, but he ended up with pneumonia.  I love our friends and families too much to encourage them to come. 

I would also cover the baby seat on the way out of the hospital-those halls are filthy with every kind of sickness right now.

I also never let anyone- even grandparents- hold our babies without either deeply washing their hands or using sanitizer past their wrists.  I was a paranoid mom- who had one child in February and one in March.  I also had my third son in November during the H1N1 scare, but the hospital kept everyone away during that time.

Brenda

• Like 1

I’m scheduled for a repeat c-section in 2 weeks. If you were me, how would you feel about visits in the hospital? I’m thinking about saying no visitors except family - mostly because of the flu season, but also because I tend to go into hostess mode when people come to see me (yes even at the hospital.) It’s not really conducive to recovery and nursing/bonding with the baby.

I probably should just do a poll, but I’m on my phone, and I don’t know how to do that from here.

Well for my last delivery, also a C-section, I asked for no visitors. And it wasn't even flu season. Just my husband and the other kids, and that was fine by me.

• Like 1

The hospitals here aren't allowing children under 12 in patient care areas. I think if you don't want visitors that is fine. If you do, ask them to gel or wash their hands when they come in the room. You can also ask them to wear a mask, if you want to. There should be some in the hospital hallways, or at the very least, at the nurses station.

The hospital can put a "no visitors" note by your name on the census and they can also put a "no visitors" sign on the door.

Yes on the hand washing. I have never been shy about asking folks to wash their hands before handling my new babies and I always make a point of doing so before holding any other's newborn.

• Like 1