Menu

San Antonio

Rachel

I’d love some must see/do activities for San Antonio, this trip will be without kids. We are going to a Spurs game one night but we have 3 more days to do other things.

We’ve already seen the Riverwalk, Market Square, and the Alamo. In particular I’d love some outdoor activities, especially day hike recommendations. I’d love some good restaurant recommendations too. We will have a rental car and don’t mind driving a couple hours.

We have both been to Texas many times and lived there briefly but have only been to this part of the state a couple times.

Shadow Canyon State Park has some nice hiking trails, though this time of year they're only open Friday through Monday, I think.

La Villita is a nice artsy area off the Riverwalk.

If you're visiting the last half of April Fiesta will be happening all over the city. (I don't know when the Spurs season is and they may be done by then.)

ETA: I shouldn't post from my phone! Too many errors!

Edited by wilrunner
  • Like 1

Shadow Canyon State Park has some nice hiking trails, though this time of year they're only open Friday through Monday, I think.

La Villita is a nice artsy area off the Riverwalk.

If you're visiting the last half of April Fiesta will be happening all over the city. (I don't know when the Spurs season is and they may be done by then.)

ETA: I shouldn't post from my phone! Too many errors!

We will be there in February.

Good to know that the state parks may not be open year round, ours never close.

Restaurants:

Boudro's (on the riverwalk, great romantic date option)

Torchy's tacos (near 410 and 281)

Pasha's (if you like mediterranean food)

Bigz Burgers (N 1604 loop)---they offer a variety of fry dipping sauces, and some are amazing--burgers are HUGE; you may want to share

Blanco BBQ

Bakery Lorraine & Lick ice-cream (at the Pearl)....Cured and some of the other restaurants get more hype at the Pearl, but we like these better

Day hikes:

walk between the missions

Government Canyon 

Enchanted Rock (note this is often overcrowded--go early)

I think the Japanese Tea garden hype is overblown (sorry, Butter!).  Check it out on trip advisor before you go. It's free, but the water is full of algae, and there are very few good plantings. It really needs to be redone, but the $$$$ hasn't been there to do it. I actually think the landscaping at the upper riverwalk (near the Pearl district) is much nicer, and the different bridge designs are sweet. 

We enjoy Fredericksburg a lot, and the little shops in Johnson City are pretty good. There is a midcentury mod antique shop across from the kids science museum in Johnson City that is really quite good. 

• Like 1

I think the Japanese Tea garden hype is overblown (sorry, Butter!).  Check it out on trip advisor before you go. It's free, but the water is full of algae, and there are very few good plantings. It really needs to be redone, but the $$$$ hasn't been there to do it. I actually think the landscaping at the upper riverwalk (near the Pearl district) is much nicer, and the different bridge designs are sweet. 

I've never been lol  Everyone says it's amazing and we must go there, though.  You are literally the first person I've ever heard say they didn't like it.

A few restaurants:

La Fogata (they have awesome margaritas)

The Guenther House (for breakfast)

Agreeing with others that Fredericksburg and Gruene are fun places to visit. I've not been to the River Grill in Gruene, but the Gristmill is really good.

For hiking, Guadalupe River State Park.

Have fun on your trip!

• Like 1