Menu

Do you buy used/new/acceptable books from Amazon?.

Shree

Hi,

I'm planning to buy Evan moor daily series books.I particularly like reading comprehension and spelling books.I just saw the spelling books are available for around $7 and the condition of the books are mentioned as good/acceptable .I have never bought used books.Would like to know whether the workbooks listed as good/acceptable will have writings in them.

Thank you.

In addition I take notice of the % satisfaction. A high rate with a large number of respondents is a good sign that even if the book arrives and I'm not happy with the condition, the seller is more likely to accept a return with no fuss.

With workbooks I would take into account how critical it is that there be no writing. If I don't want the hassle i order new. If I'm willing to put something together myself (or skip) the first few lessons i am more likely to accept a "good" rating.

• Like 4

The only time I've received a workbook with writing on it, Amazon refunded my money.  I forget the condition it was listed as, but it was a condition that allowed writing, but only if it was mentioned in the description.   They hadn't mentioned it.  Probably because of all the people that won't buy 'used' workbooks, I've found the savings to be even better on them.  

I got burned with a workbook that was ‘like new’ but missing the first nine pages. Fortunately, I had the teacher guide and could copy them from there. That’s the only time I’ve ever had an issue. Generally, WBs are best new. Textbooks I try for very good or better.

• Like 1

I’ve had extremely good success with buying used books on amazon — they’re almost always better condition than anticipated. However, I would not buy used workbooks unless they said specifically that they had no writing in them.

Check out homeschoolclassifieds.com. I’ve gotten a number of things from there too.

• Like 2

I always buy used books from Amazon. I tend to look for sellers with a high amount of feedback and prefer goodwill, or better world books etc. I look for the most reasonable price in the very good to good range. For a workbook I only ever get very good and it has always been fine. If it is listed as prime even better since the return is easier if need be.

I have only ever had to send 1 back out of many MANY purchases.

I do buy used on Amazon, heavily. I would NOT buy a workbook listed in acceptable or good condition. I would buy one in "like new" or "very good" condition, and have done so many times.

That said, if you plan on using them with multiple children you might consider buying the pdf straight from Evan Moor.

• Like 2

I only buy vg or like new on amazon, never anything lower. Even "good" can have markings, and you'd be amazed what teachers will write in books they're using. They could have circles, dates, purple marker, anything. 

If you're going to be printing/copying the pages from it anyway, just buy the ebooks. Your time is worth something to, and an ebook is SO much faster to print from, mercy. My ds uses almost exclusively ebooks from online publishers (Evan Moor, Teacher Created Resources, Scholastic, Carson Dellosa). LOVE them.

And for reading comprehension, look around. They make so many cool ones now. My ds has SLDs (and autism, and...) and I use a huge variety with him because I'm trying to get him reading ANYTHING. They have differentiated reading materials where you do picture studies of primary sources and read a text and answer questions. We just started a series for non-fiction reading comprehension. They have paired passages that have non-fiction and fiction passages on the same topic and have you answering questions that require you to synthesize both. I really like daily warm-up stuff like that too! Just saying the ebooks might give you more options in a good way.

Some of the publishers run specials on their ebooks if you get on their mailing lists.

The only time I've received a workbook with writing on it, Amazon refunded my money.  I forget the condition it was listed as, but it was a condition that allowed writing, but only if it was mentioned in the description.   They hadn't mentioned it.  Probably because of all the people that won't buy 'used' workbooks, I've found the savings to be even better on them.  

I only buy like new for workbooks too. I bought a very good or a like new SOTW AG recently and it was missing 30 something pages out of the middle. I complained and was refunded my money. 

I try not to buy acceptable from Amazon. Their ideas of what is acceptable and mine for the price they are giving do not usually add up. I have paid way too much for some terrible quality books, and I won't do it again- only very good or like new for me now.