Menu

Which edition of Right Start??? Or something else??

MaryMak07

I was given 1st edition of RS A and B and have used those and been happy with them. Now I’ll need to buy whatever we will use next. I’m torn:

Should I buy 2nd edition RS C?

Stick with 1st edition and buy RA C?

Switch to Singapore or Beast Academy or something else?

I have a 6 yo boy who is doing well with 1e RSB currently. He enjoys the games and interactions (he’s also an avid reader!) I’ll have another Ker in the fall as well as a 1yo.

Edited by MaryMak07

We have 1st edition D and 2nd edition E.  From what I can tell, the 2nd edition makes it slightly more scripted/easier to use (for example, rather than 'play games', it gives specific ones you can do to go along with the lesson).

I've been satisfied with D.  If I hadn't grabbed the 2nd edition on sale I would have stayed with the 1st, but since i plan on reselling it when I'm done I think the 2nd edition will have better value that way.

We've done 1st edition A-E and 2nd edition A-D (and I have a kiddo who will be starting 2nd edition E in the next couple of weeks). 

You could really go either way with level C.  Personally I prefer 1st edition C to 2nd edition C.  1st edition C is a much longer book than 2nd edition C.  It goes beyond what is covered in 2nd edition C , mostly by including upper times tables and more division and fractions.  4-digit subtraction is taught differently in the two editions, and I happen to like the version in 1st edition better because it's less messy.  It's also very easy to switch from 1st edition C to 2nd edition D because there are no gaps (and a fair bit of review). 

With my third son, and third time through RS, I chose to use 1st edition for A-C and then 2nd edition for D and E (starting soon), and my plan includes 2nd edition F for next year.  The early levels of 1st edition are awesome, IMO, but 1st edition D and E were just very blah compared to A-C.  I have been thoroughly impressed with 2nd edition D, and E looks wonderful as well.

• Like 1