Menu

Stanford Online High School

Crazy expensive? I'd have to know there was absolutely nothing else that at all made sense to explore it more.

Emily

It's actually on par with local private schools and cheaper than most, but our area is just crazy. I didn't know high schools could charge $50k plus donation. What I've been told is that SOHS is generous with financial aid, but that's not a direct answer from them.

It's actually on par with local private schools and cheaper than most, but our area is just crazy. I didn't know high schools could charge $50k plus donation. What I've been told is that SOHS is generous with financial aid, but that's not a direct answer from them.

We have a local private HS that is on par with SOHS (also connected to a top-10 university where you can take classes if you max the school out) but we get a discount so it would be cheaper to be at the B&M school. I looked into it because we're doing some traveling next year, but we'll probably just apply for the B&M school instead.

Yes, private high school is $$$$$.

Emily

We looked at it because dd is still young enough and tests well enough to apply for their big Brady scholarship, and is the last grandchild on both sides, so we could apply to both "banks of grandma". In combination it made it less scary for our middle income selves. It is on par tuition- wise with our most expensive private school in the next city.

Dd doesn't love online classes, and what I learned is that while the courses are very good, the program is very time intensive (Think Lukeion and AP level intensity for every course). Something to consider if you are traveling and want to explore where you are visiting. My dd has too much going on outside of academics, so we didn't go any farther.

• Like 1

I looked at it, among other schools, in 2012, when we were looking for a school for DD. However, we were looking for 6th grade at that time and Stanford was High School only at that time. If one can get a Scholarship it would probably give one an outstanding education. We started DD with 2  6th grade courses in TTUISD (now TTU K-12) during October 2012. She is now in 11th grade.  Good luck with whatever you decide on!

• Like 2

We looked at it because dd is still young enough and tests well enough to apply for their big Brady scholarship, and is the last grandchild on both sides, so we could apply to both "banks of grandma". In combination it made it less scary for our middle income selves. It is on par tuition- wise with our most expensive private school in the next city.

Dd doesn't love online classes, and what I learned is that while the courses are very good, the program is very time intensive (Think Lukeion and AP level intensity for every course). Something to consider if you are traveling and want to explore where you are visiting. My dd has too much going on outside of academics, so we didn't go any farther.

Thanks, that’s very helpful information. I didn't know about the intensity level so that's good to know to make sure that's what DD wants. She's used to intense courses now, but that's just a small handful and not for every course.

• Like 1

I looked at it, among other schools, in 2012, when we were looking for a school for DD. However, we were looking for 6th grade at that time and Stanford was High School only at that time. If one can get a Scholarship it would probably give one an outstanding education. We started DD with 2 6th grade courses in TTUISD (now TTU K-12) during October 2012. She is now in 11th grade. Good luck with whatever you decide on!

I think we have better luck with the financial aid than the scholarship, but if we apply, we're applying for every scholarship, lol. If not SOHS, DD will still take almost all high school courses online. I'm looking into WHA and MP diploma programs as well. Of course we could just continue what we do now and take online courses at various online vendors, but I was hoping for just one school and streamline the entire high school process.

• Like 2

I have heard nothing but positive and it’s top notch academically, but comes at a cost both time and price wise. I was told about 10 hours per course, so I can’t see how to fit in even 5 courses, much less dab into anything else outside.

I will say that if I had that sort of money (we don’t qualify for aid), I would probably pay for it.

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 1

I looked at it pretty hard but the issue for high school here is socialization. I cannot be convinced an online school would solve that problem.

We are going to attempt a mix of DE at two institutions and part time high school at a private plus online stuff. So being at three different places a day. Over bridge under tunnel. 😂 who knows if it will work.

For me the issue was cost.  We attended Stanford Splash (a free fun program) and they had an informational meeting during that about the online high school.  A friend went, and had the following issues:

1.  Socialization - taking so many classes online didn't seem necessary when we have wonderful co-ops and community colleges here.  Though one generally doesn't "connect" and really make friend at the community college classes, at least one is with HUMANS out in the real world, and learning other social skills which counts for a lot :)

2.  Expense...I just can't for the life of me understand why anyone would pay that much...for an online learning platform. Yes the private schools around herea re crazy expensive but they are also a completely one stop shop for all of your student's academic, social, sports, counseling, they even provide up to 3 meals a day, etc. etc. :)

I'd be interested in any feedback on their English courses, if anyone's used them! It is super pricey, but for that perfect English course for a student who's big on lit., it might be an option. So hard to know!

I was thinking of trying one class in the upcoming year to see what's it like but no idea which one. Daijobu reviewed one course, I believe, biology maybe?

• Like 1

I was thinking of trying one class in the upcoming year to see what's it like but no idea which one. Daijobu reviewed one course, I believe, biology maybe?

Apparently even for one course, a child needs to get through the entire application process.

I was also planning on one course and then I sat down and totaled all the costs of all other courses (two of which are double the normal) and the total equals one SOH course. 🤭 So we put it aside and decided we will look at them for courses we absolutely can not get anywhere else. But again, if financials were working, I would have gone for it.

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 2

I'm late to this thread.  Yes, my dd took AP biology last year as a sophomore and it was excellent.  She is taking Advanced Topics in Biology this year and enjoying reading and presenting scientific papers.  

The liberal arts classes are supposed to be wonderful, and they have several philosophy classes.  Their science and math classes are hit or miss.  It's just hard to find good math and science teachers.  

Many classes are time consuming and challenging, and we just don't think that it's appropriate for every single class to be hard.  Dd wanted to sign up for their Spanish class.  It's accelerated and time-consuming, which is lovely if you really want to get good at Spanish in a short period of time.  But if you just want to check the foreign language box, not so much.  We like having so many high quality courses available to us, but without the headache of having to go full time and having additional bureaucratic restrictions.

But I've been a DIY homeschooler for such a long time, I don't feel I need to hand the reins over to anyone else.  I'm happy to answer more questions about OHS, but as I mentioned at the top, our academic experience there is limited to 2 classes.  

• Like 3

I was looking into their calc-based physics classes a few years ago. I decided against it mainly due to the cost and instead use MIT OCW.

I do know someone else who did have her kiddo take physics with SOHS and had a great experience. The instructor was excellent. This was a few years ago now,though.

• Like 1

Can you share information about the brady scholarship that you mentioned?

A friend of mine from law school sent his daughter there. She loves it, but it is definitely a pressure cooker environment. Also, as one would expect, most of the kids come from money, so you'd have to be comfortable with your kid in that environment. For example, they hold their homecoming on the west coast, but their prom on the east coast, and most kids can afford to fly to both.

• Like 2