Menu

Recommendations For Geometry Curriculum

We have Jacobs Geometry. We also bought a test book and an answer book and some videos to go with it. We have used everything but the videos. Jacobs does not emphasize the kid doing a lot of independent proofs. Often they have to provide reasons for each step of proofs.

• Like 1

We like Video Text, although the extensive logic lessons at the beginning are a bit redundant because they assume you haven't had that before. It is pretty proof heavy after that, although it's not actually required that you do more than 1/lesson, so you can adjust that for each student's level. Oldest DS is very mathy and did almost all of them, 2nd DS is not and is probably only going to do a few beyond the required 1/lesson. It's been a good fit for both if them probably because it is very conceptual and step by step. As a teacher who isn't very math confident it's been a life saver. The only drawback is that it can take longer than 1 year. That wasn't a problem for us since we only took 1.5 years to do Alg 1 and 2 with the VT Alg program, but it could be a significant factor for someone who needs to get it done in a year.

For a Geometry credit it's great, but don't believe the hype on the website that says it covers trig too. Those modules aren't finished and probably won't be, in my opinion.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I was looking at this curriculum, and narrowed my shortlist down with this on it! We are not too worried about having pre-calculus because DD will be going to the local college next year to do that. She has been doing Saxon along but the way, but Saxon isn't working for her for geometry, so we are switching to a stand-alone geometry to get her her geometry skills up and to finish her geometry credit.

quote name="Momto5inIN" post="7967817" timestamp="1516365838"]

We like Video Text, although the extensive logic lessons at the beginning are a bit redundant because they assume you haven't had that before. It is pretty proof heavy after that, although it's not actually required that you do more than 1/lesson, so you can adjust that for each student's level. Oldest DS is very mathy and did almost all of them, 2nd DS is not and is probably only going to do a few beyond the required 1/lesson. It's been a good fit for both if them probably because it is very conceptual and step by step. As a teacher who isn't very math confident it's been a life saver. The only drawback is that it can take longer than 1 year. That wasn't a problem for us since we only took 1.5 years to do Alg 1 and 2 with the VT Alg program, but it could be a significant factor for someone who needs to get it done in a year.

For a Geometry credit it's great, but don't believe the hype on the website that says it covers trig too. Those modules aren't finished and probably won't be, in my opinion.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Jacobs was a bust here. We're using Burger Holt with the Teacher's One Stop and free videos and a little ALEKS for probability. A tutor friend is doing a group with Larson Holt and likes it. There may be a Teacher One Stop for it, too. Since she's had some geometry, the "Are you ready to go on" quizzes might be helpful in the Holt books.

• Like 2

Another Holt user here with Burger videos and the One Stop Planner. I am tutoring students with it, and my own ds started it this semester. 

I found the solutions manual here and was able to download it and use offline. 

https://www.slideshare.net/alfeliz/holt-geometry-complete-solutions-manual-2007

Here is the ISBN number for a book of the assessment resources with answers, but not solutions:  0030427487

Here is the ISBN number for the Practice B pages in one book (no answers): 003078087X

Edited by mom31257
  • Like 6

Wow, thank you for this!

Another Holt user here with Burger videos and the One Stop Planner. I am tutoring students with it, and my own ds started it this semester.

I found the solutions manual here and was able to download it and use offline.

https://www.slideshare.net/alfeliz/holt-geometry-complete-solutions-manual-2007

Here is the ISBN number for a book of the assessment resources with answers, but not solutions: 0030427487

Here is the ISBN number for the Practice B pages in one book (no answers): 003078087X

• Like 1

Another Holt person here, but mine is the older 90's version because that was significantly cheaper.  The TE has worked out proofs, answers to the tests (tests in student book),  and teaching notes.  Good clean layout in both the student and teacher books--the pages do not overwhelm.  Too many sidebars and colors and font changes make me twitchy. ;)  Can't do links right now, but there are a few threads where Jann in TX gives her 2 cents on this edition of Holt Geometry.  

I really love Jacobs' 2nd edition, his big-picture approach clicks *with me,* but one of mine does NOT do well with anything remotely related to discovery methods in math.  Holt is more just the facts, ma'am.  :)

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 2

We tried Life of Fred Geometry after successfully completing their two algebra books. For my daughter, the geometry book was a big fail. It jumped into proofs too quickly without enough scaffolding for kids who are not mathematically inclined. We abandoned Fred after just a few chapters. Jacobs Geometry has worked better, although I still find myself providing tons of support.

Edited by Pronghorn
  • Like 1

Mr D.

My kids struggled with several different geometry programs until we did Mr. D.  Much better.   It has videos to watch everyday, worksheets to do.  Twice a week is an online help session where the kids can talk to a tutor for one on one help....and there is a "email the teacher" option if you need a quick help right now.  We love MR D and I wish I would have found him sooner.

• Like 1

I have given some thought to teaching textbooks and I'm looking for whatever feedback anybody has on that. we do have life of Fred geometry and I'm interested in feedback on that also.

Youngest used TT geometry.  She did it over the summer.  It seemed to set her up well for trig and algebra 2.  Proofs are interesting with TT.  Since it is a computer course, the proofs are done within the program. 

Oldest used another program, but she really liked Geometry for the Clueless as an add on.  She said it explained the "why and hows" better. 

• Like 1