Menu

9th grade writing - preferably online?

My 9th grader is currently doing the WAH HS comp 1.  We used WAH for 8th grade too.

It's exactly what we were looking for.   It's not a live class.  It's less about general writing instruction, and more about feedback on specific writing projects.

• Like 1

My 9th grader is currently doing the WAH HS comp 1.  We used WAH for 8th grade too.

It's exactly what we were looking for.   It's not a live class.  It's less about general writing instruction, and more about feedback on specific writing projects.

Is there a teacher who grades the work or do you grade it?

They grade it.   The kid signs in, takes a short comprehension quiz every week on a page length "lesson", and submits a draft of a paper.  The class this year everything is due on Thursdays.  Usually 3 drafts of each writing piece are done, with feedback on each draft from the coach due back on a certain Thursday.  You have the same coach correcting everything all year, which is nice because they get to know the student.  The final draft is given a score from a rubric.

It's not a teacher teaching a class.   It's a writing coach working on drafts of a paper with the student, with some short writing lessons thrown in.

We really like it, but it's not what everyone is looking for.  

• Like 1

We are taking WAH too. 2nd year. Last year HS Comp 1 - this year Essay 1 Workshop/Essay 2 Workshop/Lit Analysis Workshop

It is like Zebra said not teaching at all. It is all about feedback all the way through thesis - rough draft - revised draft - revised draft - final draft. It's completely hands-off for me. For a while, I bemoaned that he's not being taught anything - so for my rising 9th grader, we'll continue in the 'teaching' mode using IEW SICC-C - and then who knows. But it does help with writing with its feedback but your dc really does need to know all the basics before beginning, I think.

• Like 1

They grade it. The kid signs in, takes a short comprehension quiz every week on a page length "lesson", and submits a draft of a paper. The class this year everything is due on Thursdays. Usually 3 drafts of each writing piece are done, with feedback on each draft from the coach due back on a certain Thursday. You have the same coach correcting everything all year, which is nice because they get to know the student. The final draft is given a score from a rubric.

It's not a teacher teaching a class. It's a writing coach working on drafts of a paper with the student, with some short writing lessons thrown in.

We really like it, but it's not what everyone is looking for.

This is the critical difference in W@H, and why it was NOT a good class for us. The instruction is like a sheet of paper's worth of text given to the student each week. It's more like a college writing lab. But if that is what you need then it's a good choice.

Have you looked at WHA? Coram Deo Tutorials?

Any time you are paying for instruction and feedback classes will be more expensive than just a text.

This is the critical difference in W@H, and why it was NOT a good class for us. The instruction is like a sheet of paper's worth of text given to the student each week. It's more like a college writing lab. But if that is what you need then it's a good choice.

Have you looked at WHA? Coram Deo Tutorials?

Any time you are paying for instruction and feedback classes will be more expensive than just a text.

Oh yes, I understand that.  I just know that there should be options out there that would cost me less than $700 a year.   :)

I'm going through and taking notes now.  Thanks for all the suggestions so far!!

eta: What is WHA?

Edited by PeacefulChaos

WHA = Wilson Hill Academy

eta: What is WHA?

Used to be a really awesome teacher at WHA. She's on her own now, but she'll cost you $1000 a year for her amazing teaching. Since you are on a small budget, I didn't mention her. But  :svengo: great teaching! (I think there are 4-5 Hive members with kids taking her classes this semester. (Hoping to get several honest reviews from her first year of being on her own at the end of the school year. Sometimes there are bumps when you start up a new school.)

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 1

WHA = Wilson Hill Academy

Used to be a really awesome teacher at WHA. She's on her own now, but she'll cost you $1000 a year for her amazing teaching. Since you are on a small budget, I didn't mention her. But  :svengo: great teaching! (I think there are 4-5 Hive members with kids taking her classes this semester. (Hoping to get several honest reviews from her first year of being on her own at the end of the school year. Sometimes there are bumps when you start up a new school.)

Can you share what kind of money is involved w/ WHA?

Thanks,

Alley

:crying:

Can you share what kind of money is involved w/ WHA?

This comes up every year before registration and my memory is not what it was pre-children. I seem to remember that non-AP and non-Great Conversation classes were something in the neighborhood of $650 this year. AP is more. GC classes were higher, too. No registration fee. No "technology fee" - just whatever the plain course cost is. So, pricey, but in the same neighborhood as several other of the twice-per-week live providers. It goes up every year. We'll know more when registration opens in a couple of weeks.