Menu

It's not Co:Writer!, it's Read Write For Google Chrome

Edited on 1/25/2018

Remember when I mentioned that I'm lousy with technology?   Well, I just got back from a technical training session and found out that my son has been using the Read Write For Google Chrome extension, and not CoWriter!  Yes, CoWriter is the predictive text piece of Read Write For Google Chrome, but it’s only one piece.

I feel so badly for confusing you guys by giving the wrong app name.  

Tech support apologized for having us watch a Don Johnston CoWriter informational video instead of this Read Write For Google Chrome informational video

And he suggested this page for purchasing Read Write For Google Chrome:  https://www.texthelp.com/en-us/

And I found out that they didn’t load the “take a photo of a worksheet and then type directly onto the worksheet†extension.  Apparently that’s an option, but we don’t have it.  We do have the option to take a photo of a flyer and have the extention to read it, define words on it, create a list of vocabulary words from it…

So DS13 has been using Read Write For Google Chrome, which has:

-study skills tools (highlighting tools and citations and bibliographical information 

-screenshot reader (text reader for inaccessible text or software

-text to speech (audible directions, correct speech samples, editing tools, text read aloud)

-talking dictionary (dictionary, editing tools, thesaurus, vocabulary support

-picture dictionary (dictionary, editing tools, pictures/symbols, vocabulary support)

-vocabulary list builder (vocabulary support)

-word prediction 

-speech input (oral responses, voice recognition software, writing assistance)

-voice note (audible directions, correct speech samples, oral responses)

-annotations (audible directions)

-simplify pages (reduce a wikipedia page to just the text without sidebar lists)

----------------------------------------------

Original post:

Just found this today and can't wait to try it.  It integrates mind mapping, phonemic spell checker, text to speech, speech to text, dictionary, photos for vocabulary words...

This ten minute video does a great job of explaining what it is https://drive.google.com/file/d/1thzqR-XF88ftzEX9Wgwshjiz6PgFT0Az/view

http://donjohnston.com/cowriter/

There’s only one Co:Writer!

Only Co:Writer Universal gives students access to the most powerful word prediction on their favorite devices (Chromebooks, iPads, and Mac/Windows desktops), over 4 million Topic Dictionaries, built-in speech recognition in Google Chrome, and incredible privacy-safe data collection.

Integrates across Google, iPad, and Desktop

Whether on iPad, iPhone, Chromebook, or desktop, your students will have access to their favorite writing tool! Preferences and Dictionaries are stored in the cloud, so your students can access their personalized supports from anywhere, on any device—even offline.

Co:Writer Keyboard for iPad

Co:Writer Universal includes a keyboard for your iPads (iTouch and iPhones too)! Use it anywhere you write like email, websites, and Google Drive. It works just like Apple’s stock keyboard, but the prediction is much better and it supports Topic Dictionaries and data collection. The data fully integrates with Educator Dashboard.

See it for yourself in this quick 2-min video.

Speech Recognition

Co:Writer word prediction and speech recognition now go hand-in-hand to cover the widest range of student needs.

It’s built right into the Co:Writer Universal Chrome Extension, so students can speak their responses in Google Drive, email, and websites then go back and edit with Co:Writer!

See Co:Writer’s built-in speech recognition for yourself in this 2-min demo.

Supports Vocabulary in the New Standards

Over 4 million Topic Dictionaries supply vocabulary from every college and career-ready standard from Atomic Structure to Leonardo da Vinci. This helps students write with more academic and topic-specific vocabulary.

See how Co:Writer supports vocabulary in this 3-min video.

Proves Outcomes with Data

Co:Writer data gives you a level of fidelity of implementation that you’ve never had before. Quickly see how much students are writing and their vocabulary usage while protecting student privacy.

See Co:Writer Data in this 3-min video.

Edited by Timberly
  • Like 3

$4.99 per month, per child.  But I got it for free through our brick and motor school district.  We homeschool full time and don't use their services, but since my son has an IEP, he gets free access to the app.

Edited by Timberly
  • Like 2

Student can use one device to work on Microsoft Word, Gmail, web browsing, GoogleDocs, blogs...  And then pick up later, using another device.  

Co:Writer Universal includes:

• an app for iOS – compatible with iPad, iPhone, MacBook Air...
• an app for ChromeTM – compatible with Windows, Mac, and Chromebook platforms
• an extension for Chrome
TM – compatible with Windows, Mac, and Chromebook platforms • a desktop version – compatible with Mac and Windows operating systems 

• Like 2

Timberly, I read your posting and never responded. Thank-you for this info.

Co-writer has changed. Last summer, I looked at this product, and the cost was $200. That price point prevented me from purchasing the software. I plan to download the trial and see how it works.

I’m thrilled that your child is successfully using the product.

• Like 1

Just found this today and can't wait to try it.  It integrates mind mapping, phonemic spell checker, text to speech, speech to text, dictionary, photos for vocabulary words...

This ten minute video does a great job of explaining what it is https://drive.google.com/file/d/1thzqR-XF88ftzEX9Wgwshjiz6PgFT0Az/view

Timberly, have you started using this yet?  I feel like demos always look great, but I'd love to hear from people who are actually using it.  

The link you included says that it is Read & Write - does that come with Co Writer?  Have you used the reading function on it, and do you like it?  The writing functions look awesome as well - would love to hear how your DS is using this.  

• Like 1

I am trying to set this up for my son but maybe someone can give me advice. Is the subscription linked to a specific gmail drive?  How does activating the software work. 

I called CoWriter I am going to just try to set this up for my son and see if he can use it both on my PC and on my Ipad. I am confused about how he access the software but we will see how it goes. Learning by doing...lol

If anyone has this software and would be willing to test the quality of the speach to text that would be great. my son has a slight pronounciation issue and I am looking for something that works. 

Edited by exercise_guru
  • Like 1

I set it up to try using my son's gmail account.  During set-up on the PC, a Chrome extension was added.  When I go to Google docs to type and play, you activate Co-Writer by hitting the Co-Writer button, which then prompts for the gmail info. 

For text to speech to work, you highlight the text you wish to have read back, right-click the mouse, select Co-Writer option, and then select Speak.  Co-Writer then reads the highlighted words.

I have not used it on the iPad yet nor have we used it with STS as of yet.  I'll try later once school is over.