Menu

And then DH said, "Let's just bring them all home."

Entropymama

After an 18 month stint in charter schools, we're pulling the kids and going back to homeschooling! 

:party:

It's been a journey, but I'm getting really excited to be going back. I've missed these boards so much. 

Also, any advice on starting midyear would be much appreciated. Even though this will be our 10th year of homeschooling, I've never started in the middle. 

It's good to be back. 

• Like 21

Agreeing with taking a break, of sorts. Do you know what curricula you are going to use? I would do any placement tests and such after at least a 2 weeks period of fun family time. 

Depending on your kids' ages, I'd ask for their visions of what homeschooling could be--esp if they are older, what do they most enjoy, describe your perfect day, etc. Not that you need to incorporate 

all they say, but just having some buy in might be nice for both of you. 

I never started in the middle, but I did take a year off and then homeschool the next year. Unfortunately, that was our last year, but it helped that I changed up the schoolroom, talked about it with dd (she was only in 4th grade), and really thought about what worked and what didn't the last time--and tried to be realistic and not look at it with rose-colored glasses. 

\]

• Like 1

Ooh, deschooling. I've read about it and now I get to try it. 

Ages and grades: DS, 14, 8th grade, DD, 12, 7th grade, DS, 9, 3rd grade, DS, 7, 1st grade. I do have a daughter who is a sophomore in high school who is staying in public, and a three year old. 

Sending them to school was a hard decision and was primarily because I was struggling with some mental and emotional health issues and needed to focus on me for a bit. It was getting overwhelming. We were able to send them to a Classical charter school the first year, which we loved, but which was almost an hour away. This year we put them in a local charter school that hasn't met our expectations. Part if it is that it's a new school and there are bumps along the way, but part of it is that it's a traditional, progressive public school and I seriously can't handle any more 'experimental spelling' and fights in the hallways. And I'm doing much better and feel ready to take it on again. 

My main concern right now is that all the clubs and groups are full. It's going to be hard to find a place for them in the homeschooling community - although we still know a lot of people. Also, figuring out curriculum for the older kids. It's going to be a process, but I'm so happy to be bringing them home. 

• Like 1

Agreeing with taking a break, of sorts. Do you know what curricula you are going to use? I would do any placement tests and such after at least a 2 weeks period of fun family time. 

Depending on your kids' ages, I'd ask for their visions of what homeschooling could be--esp if they are older, what do they most enjoy, describe your perfect day, etc. Not that you need to incorporate 

all they say, but just having some buy in might be nice for both of you. 

I never started in the middle, but I did take a year off and then homeschool the next year. Unfortunately, that was our last year, but it helped that I changed up the schoolroom, talked about it with dd (she was only in 4th grade), and really thought about what worked and what didn't the last time--and tried to be realistic and not look at it with rose-colored glasses. 

\]

I really like this idea. Thanks!

I copied this from another thread I posted on, so ignore the "she" and consider it for all of the older kids. 

If she is doing well with the content of the courses, I would consider trying to use the same books at home if possible. Older editions are often quite cheap. 

For courses that have a syllabus, simply mark what has been covered and you have somewhat of a plan for second semester. If her courses don't have a syllabus, sit down with dd and go through her texts, making notes on what has been covered and what remains. The more detailed the notes are, the better for planning. You can also google "honors chemistry syllabus" and so on, and compare what you find. You can try including the name of a specific text. You will sometimes get different results if you use the word "schedule" instead of syllabus, so play around with it. 

• Like 1

I would focus first on the older two as far as the curriculum and academics. For the younger ones, I would focus more on the routine after the recovery period than the academics. Younger children are all over the map developmentally and after a year and a half of school I would probably do lots of read alouds, figure out where they are in math and start a gentle math routine along with some light language arts for the 3rd grader. But I was really relaxed K-3 (with no regrets!) YMMV

That will free up your time to research for your older kids, figure out what skills need covering or shoring up before high school and researching the whole homeschooling through high school thing (just approaching this stage myself with my 8th grader!) Since your 8th grader is just about to start high school I would put the bulk of my efforts there and work my way down the first grader who could just tag along for the next few months.

The social activities might be full right now but there might be a homeschool group you could join for the littles and some have more active teens (or older siblings dragged along lol..) There will likely be more options for things in the fall, but you could start researching them now. If your teens are very social, maybe you can try to do some casual hangouts, game nights, movie nights, etc.. in lieu of formal social activities for spring.

Don't forget to factor your health into all of this too. You are an important part of the equation. Make a plan for what you need in terms of support from friends and family and don't be afraid to ask for help. And Welcome back!😀

Edited by CaliforniaDreaming
  • Like 2

I would asses where you'd like them to be when you start next year (especially since you'll have another high schooler), and work backward from there.  I wouldn't worry about doing all the subjects or doing this semester traditionally, but I'd use it to shore up reading and writing and thinking skills if needed.  And I'd read a lot and play games and get into a routine.

• Like 1