Menu

ACT Reading Test Prep

Arch at Home

DD16's Reading score came back low particularly since she is a voracious reader. We think that part of it is that she needs to build up her endurance so she is taking monthly practice tests. I am thinking that she might also benefit from doing extra Reading tests. What is the best source of ACT practice tests? Do you have any other recommendations on how to boost that score?

Thanks!

Sarah

Edited by Arch at Home

DD16's Reading score came back low particularly since she is a voracious reader. We think that part of it is that she needs to build up her endurance so she is taking monthly practice tests. I am thinking that she might also benefit from doing extra Reading tests. What is the best source of ACT practice tests? Do you have any other recommendations on how to boost that score?

Thanks!

Sarah

Use the real ACT book (the red one) for her practice tests.  They are the only ones that are truly accurate.  Use other sources for practice but save the real ones for a timed test to see where she is improving.  

I haven't had a student use this method but I found this yesterday to share with DS, soon to start taking the ACT.

https://blog.prepscholar.com/how-to-get-36-on-act-reading-11-strategies-from-a-perfect-scorer

I also recommend the red book and The Princeton Review book.

There are youtube videos that offer a lot of targeted help as well.

She probably just needs to learn how the test "thinks." Go over every practice test mistake with her using the two books above. Use youtube to learn specific strategies that can help her in the Reading section.

:)

Rebecca

I know I have read that taking SAT tests released in previous editions of the college board blue book have helped students. Perhaps looking for earlier versions of the official ACT book would do the same? Sometimes the books recyle the versions of the test,so maybe check at your library or on CC first. When I searched ACT practice test 2016. ect. it looks like there are some previous practice tests released that might be good . Prep scholar had a few free ones.

Edited by Silver Brook

I agree that she needs to learn how the ACT thinks. The article from PrepScholar really breaks the test down. I am going to have her work through that. I know that she now can get through in the time frame; content might be an issue but I bet it is more about familiarity with the types of questions.

I got her the current red ACT test book. We will see how many older tests we can find online and go from there.

Thanks.

Sarah

• Like 1