Menu

If you have a gym membership, please tell me if this is normal.

Greta

At my gym, it is common for people to put their gym bag or water bottle and keys or other personal item(s) on a machine to "reserve" it for themselves, while they're using another machine.  It bugs the crap out of me, because the place is always crowded to begin with, and then you have people trying to keep you off of machines that they're not even using!!!  Sometimes they don't even bother putting something on the machine at all, they just come up to you once you've started using an obviously empty machine and complain that they were using it (it was empty) or that they were "saving" it (with the invisible forces of their minds, apparently).

Once, I even saw this tall, beefy, 30-something muscle-head male run up to a timid, frail, little 70-something year old woman, YELLING at her that he was still using the empty machine that she'd just gotten on.  While that was a one-time thing (at least in my experience), I am routinely approached (always by a man) and told that the empty machine I've just gotten on was "his".  It is really obnoxious.  Women do the thing where they try to save a machine with their personal items, which is bad enough, but they don't have the audacity to chase you off of an empty machine.  

So, basically, I just want to know, is this something that I have to learn to live with?  Is this normal?  Is this just standard gym etiquette and it only seems terrible to me because I'm old and cranky?  I could bring it up with management, but I honestly don't know what they would/could do about it.  Should I start looking for another gym?  Because between that and the fact that they keep it a stifling 74 degrees in there, I'm feeling pretty much done.  

The two nearest gyms to me are a Planet Fitness and an Anytime Fitness.  Any experiences with those?

At my gym, it is common for people to put their gym bag or water bottle and keys or other personal item(s) on a machine to "reserve" it for themselves, while they're using another machine. It bugs the crap out of me, because the place is always crowded to begin with, and then you have people trying to keep you off of machines that they're not even using!!! Sometimes they don't even bother putting something on the machine at all, they just come up to you once you've started using an obviously empty machine and complain that they were using it (it was empty) or that they were "saving" it (with the invisible forces of their minds, apparently).

Once, I even saw this tall, beefy, 30-something muscle-head male run up to a timid, frail, little 70-something year old woman, YELLING at her that he was still using the empty machine that she'd just gotten on. While that was a one-time thing (at least in my experience), I am routinely approached (always by a man) and told that the empty machine I've just gotten on was "his". It is really obnoxious. Women do the thing where they try to save a machine with their personal items, which is bad enough, but they don't have the audacity to chase you off of an empty machine.

So, basically, I just want to know, is this something that I have to learn to live with? Is this normal? Is this just standard gym etiquette and it only seems terrible to me because I'm old and cranky? I could bring it up with management, but I honestly don't know what they would/could do about it. Should I start looking for another gym? Because between that and the fact that they keep it a stifling 74 degrees in there, I'm feeling pretty much done.

The two nearest gyms to me are a Planet Fitness and an Anytime Fitness. Any experiences with those?

Yes people do it all the Gym. Pisses me off. I go to LA Fitness which has lockers yet some think they're special. I saw 2 guys get in a fight over it. One didn't like it and, said something. Other thing I can't stand is people who use the squat rack for anything that isn't squats or Deadlift.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

No, never ever seen that. Ever. 

In fact, normally, if someone is doing sets and they see someone else is waiting for the machine they will offer to let them "work in", letting them using the machine during their rests between sets. 

Gym culture varies a lot...where I normally would go people always put their weights away, but when I went to another branch of the same gym NO ONE racked their weights. The darned things were all over the freaking place. I never went back to that one. 

But never seen someone "save" a machine other than if say, running to the water fountain to get a drink in between sets. That seems normal, but while using another machine? No. 

• Like 6

Yes people do it all the Gym. Pisses me off. I go to LA Fitness which has lockers yet some think they're special. I saw 2 guys get in a fight over it. One didn't like it and, said something. Other thing I can't stand is people who use the squat rack for anything that isn't squats or Deadlift.

Like the Smith machine, or just the regular squat rack? I see people use the smith machine for all kinds of stuff, and I know my DH uses it for shrugs. But why would someone use a squat rack for anything other than squats???

Like the Smith machine, or just the regular squat rack? I see people use the smith machine for all kinds of stuff, and I know my DH uses it for shrugs. But why would someone use a squat rack for anything other than squats???

Just the regular. One time I was wanting to do squats and, someone was using it to do Pullups.

Yes people do it all the Gym. Pisses me off. I go to LA Fitness which has lockers yet some think they're special. I saw 2 guys get in a fight over it. One didn't like it and, said something. 

Holy crap!  I thought my gym was awful, but at least I've never seen a fight break out over it.  Wow, that's discouraging. 

Other thing I can't stand is people who use the squat rack for anything that isn't squats or Deadlift.

I hate that too.  My gym has TWICE AS MANY bench press stations as squat racks, so when I see someone has dragged a bench over to the squat rack to do bench presses there it makes me want to scream.

• Like 1

In fact, normally, if someone is doing sets and they see someone else is waiting for the machine they will offer to let them "work in", letting them using the machine during their rests between sets. 

I've had people ask that and I always let them. I wouldn't ask to do it but I don't mind if they do while I'm resting. 

No, never ever seen that. Ever. 

But never seen someone "save" a machine other than if say, running to the water fountain to get a drink in between sets. That seems normal, but while using another machine? No. 

Okay, so there ARE better gyms out there, I just have to find one!

Gym culture varies a lot...where I normally would go people always put their weights away, but when I went to another branch of the same gym NO ONE racked their weights. The darned things were all over the freaking place. I never went back to that one.

Oh, yeah, that's another thing!  :lol:  Now that I'm complaining, I might as well just let it all out.  No one re-racks their weights.  No one.  Normally, though it irritates, me, I just consider moving the extra weights off of a machine before I use it to be part of my workout.  But when some jerk has left SIX 100-pound plates on the leg press, I am stuck!  I cannot lift and re-rack 100-pound plates, and I cannot leg press 600 pounds!!!  So the machine is just useless.  And there are only two good leg press machines (plus one crappy one).  

• Like 1

at the gym I take dudeling - that type of behavior is prohibited.

I don't suppose you would happen to know how the management goes about enforcing that prohibition?  I'd like to be able to tell the gym manager, "here's what you can do about this."

I have been a member of three different gyms and never had this experience.  It is not an environment I would stay in.  Can you ask for your membership fee back (and tell them why) and find a new gym?

We have a no-contract, month-to-month arrangement, so I can easily walk away any time.  What's kept me there is that my husband's employer has an arrangement with this particular gym for a discount.  But I'm feeling more and more that the discount is not worth the hassles.

Any kind of “saving†is rude. At our church, I’ve seen women put scarves and coats on the pews the night before the Christmas program so they get good seats. So rude. I’d complain to the manager about the mental saves.

• Like 1

I have mostly used little studios for the last several years but back when I frquented gyms I never saw that behavior in any of the 4 different gyms I frequented. The gym I am using now is so small it is never busy.

Edited by soror
  • Like 1

I wouldn't move if someone did that to me.

I'd joke to them about it, like "As soon as I'm done!" or "Your invisible friend left--he's over there!"

I never think of anything clever in the moment!  I'm editing here to explain better:  The first time it happened, I was surprised and confused, so I just caved in and let the guy have the machine.  That was not the best way to handle it, and I recognize that.  The second time, I was "saved" by a gentleman on the next machine over who said "I'm done, you're welcome to this one."  Then I realized this was going to keep happening, so that's when I started politely asked if I could work in with him (which seems odd since it really should be him asking if he can work in with me, since I was on the machine first!).  And while no one has outright refused that request (yet?) they have acted very irritated by it, and glared at me the whole time.  It's uncomfortable.

Edited by Greta

I haven't seen that. The most recent gym I belonged to was Planet Fitness (not anymore) and people were usually very nice, at least at my particular location. I think that would be rude. I've belonged to gyms on and off since the 1980s and gym equipment has always been first come. If you want a particular machine that's being used, you wait in line. Otherwise you just get it when it's free.

• Like 2

I'm at a large university gym that is quite busy but that is not tolerated here.  They actually have staff monitoring things and little videos about etiquette that they send out to members on a regular basis.

Ah, so there IS a way that management can ensure good etiquette!  Thank you!

• Like 3

That’s not typical around here. I’m thinking about the Y, community center that’s like a Y, independent fancy gym, and inexpensive franchise place. There are definitely different cultures but people don’t typically reserve equipment like that.

Now in spin class people can get quite territorial about which bike they like but I’ve never seen a fight break out.

• Like 1

I wouldn't move if I was feeling confrontational.

And I'd 100% find out what management feels about it.  I would not talk to the little receptionist type person.  I'd ask to see the manager or franchise owner and say what's been happening and let them know they will lose customers/business for that sort of nonsense.

If the manager didn't do anything about it, I'd tell the owner, but mostly because I'm nice and I hate the thought that some person has a business and loses it and doesn't know why.  I've been watching a lot of Undercover Boss lately, and most bosses want to fix the wrongs, but a lot of times, no one tells them what's wrong.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 6

I’ve never once seen that at any gym I’ve been a part of.

All of them have also had signs up though with various etiquette rules:

—no saving machines

—30 minute limit on cardio machines if others are waiting (otherwise no limit)

—wipe machines after use (wipes, sprays, and towels are available)

—restock weights

That’s super rude and not normal in my experience.

• Like 7

Totally unacceptable. Tell the @sshole muscle head that if he wants to do supersets, he can come to the gym when it's less crowded.

Seriously. People.

Right?!? Does he think he owns the place?? Crazy.

• Like 2

I haven’t used the weight area of the one I go to since I mostly just go to run on the treadmill at this point, but from my vantage point on the treadmill, it doesn’t seem like that happens at my gym and I definitely wouldn’t want to put up with it. I have heard of that behavior, though, when reading about things online so while I don’t think it’s acceptable, I do think it is somewhat “normal.â€

I’m with Garga. Maybe try first asking to speak with the manager and then escalate if you don’t feel like they are receptive to your concerns. Since it doesn’t happen everywhere then there are ways that other gyms handle the culture aspect.

• Like 1

I'm at a large university gym that is quite busy but that is not tolerated here.  They actually have staff monitoring things and little videos about etiquette that they send out to members on a regular basis.

I also attend a university affiliated gym. They periodically send out a list of ettiquette items and people are compliant. 

If I were the OP, I would complain to the management. People "saving" machines means the gym owner isn't able to field as many participants as s/he would be otherwise. 

"Working in" is the way it's politely done. You do a set and need to rest a minute before your next set. It's no problem to let someone else do their set in between. 

And yeah, people should rack their weights. 

Management that is tuned in can make it part of the culture of the gym should they care to. They may lose a couple of rude customers, but they will gain in good will in other clients. 

If management is not responsive I'd leave a Yelp or google review and go elsewhere. That will begin to get their attention in short order. In our area, there are so many gyms that they need to really work to outperform the other choices. 

• Like 4

I’ve never once seen that at any gym I’ve been a part of.

All of them have also had signs up though with various etiquette rules:

—no saving machines

—30 minute limit on cardio machines if others are waiting (otherwise no limit)

—wipe machines after use (wipes, sprays, and towels are available)

—restock weights

That’s super rude and not normal in my experience.

These have been the rules at every gym we've joined and we've lived in many places in the US. I'd talk to the manager and ask for the rules to be implemented (if they haven't been already) and enforced.

• Like 2

I don't suppose you would happen to know how the management goes about enforcing that prohibition?  I'd like to be able to tell the gym manager, "here's what you can do about this."

if it's known who it is, and there is  pattern and refusal to stop, they can lose their gym membership.

• Like 3

I think it's weird, but I bet it's people that have become super-focused on their workout being done a certain way to maximize results.  They are probably of thinking of themselves as being on some kind of circuit they have priority for.

At least - that seems to be the mindset of the runners I meet on the sidewalk or the park who find they need to slow down or stop for other people.  They seem to think it's a real imposition and will affect their outcomes.  So horrible.

• Like 1

I don't suppose you would happen to know how the management goes about enforcing that prohibition? I'd like to be able to tell the gym manager, "here's what you can do about this."

This is a no brainer, if they see it or an altercation over it they intervene. I do think reminders through email, text, posted signs would make the job easier. "Oh, so sorry but the boss's gym policy is blah, blah, blah."

• Like 1

Definitely not! That's rude and inefficient. 

First, they put up signs and send emails so that everyone is aware. Then, they correct participants as needed - they have cameras all over the place for when there are no staff members. 

I'm very glad my gym doesn't have a time limit like a poster mentioned, but it's ridiculous to not want someone to use something while you are not using it. If you want a perfect circuit, buy a home gym.

• Like 2

It's never that busy where I go, but no that's crap.  Many years ago I went to a gym that was very busy.  They required you to sign up to use a piece of equipment so basically your turn came when you were next on the list.  That was a way to reserve it without having to literally stand there and wait to use it.

• Like 2

There are a few people who do it at the gym I go to, but typically it is just while they are running over to get a drink or a towel to clean.  There is one lady that likes to claim several machines at once by putting her personal towels from home on them.  I find it rude, but I wouldn't ever say anything to her.  If I wanted I could talk to the front desk and they would deal with it, usually I just work around her.  The only time I have complained was people using the circuit room and not doing the circuit so they were constantly getting in the way.  I try to go at times that there are less people when I can.

• Like 2

No, that has never happened to me or anyone I've noticed in the gyms I go to. I go to public, city of recreation facilities, so nothing fancy. People are polite and never "save" a machine or free weight. Can you imagine if people tried? Bringing little sticky notes to put on their favourite Kettle Ball colour.  :lol:

I'd just tell the guy to p!ss off and go talk to the staff member. That kind of stupid behaviour would make me cranky enough to actually do this. 

And the multiple machine saving with towels is not right at all. Just jump on the machine you want to move the towel. They have no right to reserve equipment they aren't using. 

I've left a water bottle on a machine when running to the bathroom. If someone gets on that machine, I just move my water bottle and get on a different machine.  No big deal at all.

If people want a specific machine at a specific time, they buy their own stuff and use it at home.  A gym membership is not part-ownership of the gym. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

I think it's weird, but I bet it's people that have become super-focused on their workout being done a certain way to maximize results.  They are probably of thinking of themselves as being on some kind of circuit they have priority for.

At least - that seems to be the mindset of the runners I meet on the sidewalk or the park who find they need to slow down or stop for other people.  They seem to think it's a real imposition and will affect their outcomes.  So horrible.

Yes, people get so self-focused that they become a hazard to the rest of us. There is no "maximizing results" involved. They are simply hogging the machines and being bullies. 

Stand up for your rights, ladies.  Imagine you're a New Yorker and pick a great line to go with.  :laugh:  Or say it in your mind and get on with your life. ;)

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

The gym staff never leaves the front desk, and seems, as far as I can tell, completely oblivious to what goes on in the gym beyond checking people in when they arrive. So that’s something management could choose to change if they wanted to.

• Like 1

Not normal. Never seen it happen.

Maybe you should get his autograph though—he must be famous — maybe they are reshooting the Seinfeld gym episode. Or you could stand by and watch him do rack rep and clap your hands and jump up and down and squeal, “Ooooh! What a ma-yan!â€

🤭ðŸ˜ðŸ™„

:lol: I don’t remember the Seinfeld gym episode. I’ll definitely have to look that up - it would be nice to get a laugh out of this!

The gym staff never leaves the front desk, and seems, as far as I can tell, completely oblivious to what goes on in the gym beyond checking people in when they arrive. So that’s something management could choose to change if they wanted to.

I would complain.  And if often there are no machines available I'd complain that they don't have enough machines. 

I go to Planet Fitness which is really the absolute most no frills place and I've never had a problem getting a machine.  Not bad for such a dirt cheap membership fee.  Verses another place I went that was quite expensive.  It's not really worth the money if you can't get a darn machine half the time though.  I don't want to spend any longer than I have to there either!

• Like 2