Menu

CAP Latin for Children A or CAP Latin Alive 1?

ForeverFamily

I am trying to figure out Latin for next year. This would be for my Dd going into 7th grade, she has had no previous latin experience. Would it be better to start with CAP Latin for Children A or would it be better to go straight to CAP Latin Alive 1? Do I understand correctly that Latin Alive 1 covers the same thing as Latin for Children A & B?

Also I would love to hear what others have thought about Latin for Children and/or Latin Alive? Did you and your child like it?

Edited by ForeverFamily

For a 7th grader, absolutely Latin Alive! LfC is way too young and LA does not assume prior knowledge. The LA dvd lessons are good.

LA 1 covers a good bit more than LfC A and B, and moves faster. I like the program and my dd is doing well with it. We do Latin year round, so don't go as fast as we would on a 36 week

schedule.

All the study sets are already made on Quizlet, which makes vocabulary review easier.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

I do LFC A with my 3rd grader. I would not use if for a 7th grader. Definitely go with Latin Alive! They revamped the material this year, so there is an ongoing story about children that you follow throughout the textbook. This would be way to young for a 7th grader as it is clearly targeted to upper elementary.

• Like 1

They revamped the material this year, so there is an ongoing story about children that you follow throughout the textbook. 

ugh. I bought used. Oh well. Good to know this though.

calbear and scouttn, is there a specific user on Quizlet that you grabbed your sets from? There is someone who was recommended to me for the Latin for Children ones (Sheldon Perkins, I think), and that was really helpful. Now that we are in B, I am not finding as many of his sets, and having to modify others.

ugh. I bought used. Oh well. Good to know this though.

calbear and scouttn, is there a specific user on Quizlet that you grabbed your sets from? There is someone who was recommended to me for the Latin for Children ones (Sheldon Perkins, I think), and that was really helpful. Now that we are in B, I am not finding as many of his sets, and having to modify others.

Not sure. I'll check with Dd. When we first started, I set up Quizlet for her, but she fjnds her own sets now. :)

• Like 1

If you have the older version, it's not like that. It doesn't have that stuff going on. I actually had both. I sold the old version to someone else who was taking a class using the old version. If that's the one you have, you could use it just fine. It's the less "fun" version. It would move a slower pace than LA. A lot of people do CAP A & B and then go straight into LA. Others have said C is not necessary since LA starts from ground zero. LFC B has not been revamped to be colorful and more fun. I was told that revisions are taking them two years to complete...so that likely won't change as the new version rolled out this year.

Edited by calbear
  • Like 1

👋🼠We tried LA this year. My oldest got at least a third of the way through. She got frustrated because at least once a chapter she was required to translate words that weren't in the vocab or index. We eventually jumped ship back to Latin Prep. Definitely get the teacher's pages so you have the translations so you can help in these instances.

LFC is very slow. My 10yo is doing it but there's not much new to him after going through GSWL. I'd definitely pick up LA over LFC.

If you have the older version, it's not like that. It doesn't have that stuff going on. I actually had both. I sold the old version to someone else who was taking a class using the old version. If that's the one you have, you could use it just fine. It's the less "fun" version. It would move a slower pace than LA. A lot of people do CAP A & B and then go straight into LA. Others have said C is not necessary since LA starts from ground zero. LFC B has not been revamped to be colorful and more fun. I was told that revisions are taking them two years to complete...so that likely won't change as the new version rolled out this year.

I just realized I misunderstood--you meant LFC A had been revised, not LA.

So question--I was going to put my rising 7th in Latin Alive and my rising 6th in LFC C but I am wondering if I should just have my 6th do LA at a slower pace. Thoughts?  

👋🼠We tried LA this year. My oldest got at least a third of the way through. She got frustrated because at least once a chapter she was required to translate words that weren't in the vocab or index. We eventually jumped ship back to Latin Prep. Definitely get the teacher's pages so you have the translations so you can help in these instances.

LFC is very slow. My 10yo is doing it but there's not much new to him after going through GSWL. I'd definitely pick up LA over LFC.

What is Latin Prep?

Did you use the video lessons for Latin Alive?

If only you lived closer, our kids could just do Latin together. :). I just need to wrap my head around teaching Latin, I am really hoping CAP’s curricula combined with the videos will help. :)

What is Latin Prep?

Did you use the video lessons for Latin Alive?

If only you lived closer, our kids could just do Latin together. :). I just need to wrap my head around teaching Latin, I am really hoping CAP’s curricula combined with the videos will help. :)

Latin Prep is Galore Park's junior high Latin curriculum. It's pretty thorough. LA has bigger chunks to translate, but it's only at the end of the lesson. LP has shorter translation through all of the chapter. LA almost never had her translating into Latin. LP varies between translating from to translating to Latin. We did have the DVDs, but I didn't watch it with her. It basically explained everything that the book said and then would work through one sentence per exercise and the student was supposed to pause and do the exercise and move on. It did not give answers. Or help. It does teach what's in the workbook, but my oldest had already been through half of LP1 so she didn't actually need the DVD to tell her how to do it.

Getting Started With Latin really is a great primer. I'd even recommend you run through it before teaching Latin even if your girl isn't going to do GSWL. It'll help you grasp some of the order of the language.

• Like 1