Menu

Spanish Immersion

My 6 year old is in a Spanish immersion Kindy class. It is 100% spanish all day. Her teacher spoke with me this week and said that DD has not been seeming herself and that when the teacher speaks to her it’s like she is speaking to an empty individual. She is not sure if DD is not understanding or if it’s emotional. She did say dd seems a little more emotional and cranky. Dd reads at a 3rd/4th grade level in English. They just started reading groups and DD is at a level C of whatever they’re using. Her teacher said that if it was based off of reading fluency dd would be at an F or above, but she put her back at a C due to comprehension of the Spanish vocab. We do Spanish tv and music at home. I’m not fluent, but know some and can read it.

Any tips?

How is she at home?

Any chance she could be suffering from SAD?

What you are describing sounds to me like possible depression.

I have a kid in Chinese immersion but I am not hearing immersion issues in what you are describing.

Edited by maize

How is she at home?

Any chance she could be suffering from SAD?

What you are describing sounds to me like possible depression.

I have a kid in Chinese immersion but I am not hearing immersion issues in what you are describing.

She’s been a bit clingier and cranky. Somewhat shorter with her temper. I’m definitely seeing the emotional changes at home. Nothing else at home has changed though. No big transitions. I was away for a week earlier this month over winter break.

She is prone to be more anxious and analytical. She also seems to go in cycles where she’s sensitive and emotional for a bit before a cognitive leap.