Menu

First Grade Planning Thread

happynurse

Has there been one started yet? If so, could someone link me to it? :)

If not....this is where I am so far:

Math: CLE 1 (I also own Singapore Math 1A/1B so if CLE doesn't work out we'll head over to SM)

Phonics: Logic of English Foundations C

Spelling: Logic of English Foundations C or maybe R&S Spelling. 

Penmanship: Pentime Transition

Writing: WWE 1

Literature: ??? (This year we're using Memoria Press K Enrichment, but I think I could honestly put this together on my own.)

Science: *see below

History/Social Studies: *see below

*We go to a one-day-per-week homeschool enrichment academy that offers Music, Science, Spanish, PE, Art, Social Studies and Computer from certified teachers (mostly homeschoolers themselves).

Anyway, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. Kindergarten has been a little hit and miss around here. Sometimes we do it, sometimes we don't. First grade feels so real.

• Like 2

I'm in full planning mode now and think I've got everything figured out.

Language Arts

All About Reading Level 2

All About Spelling Level 1

Grammar: First Language Lessons

Penmenship: Handwriting without Tears grade 1

Writing: Brave Writers Jot It Down

Literature: Brave Writers A Quiver of Arrows

Math

Math Mammoth

Life of Fred once or twice a week

History:

Story of the World

Usborne I-L Encyclopedia of World History

Science:

R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey

Sassafras Twins Anatomy and Botany

Fine Arts:

Artist and Music Appreciation units from Confession of a Homeschooler

Dd Also wants to learn the piano so we'll be getting a keyboard and using lessons from Hoffmanacademy.com until we know whether or not it's something she's serious about.

We're doing year-round homeschooling 4 days a week (Ds has speech an hour away every week and we listen to audiobooks in the car) and a 4 week on 1 week off approach.  While the 3R's will be done every school day, I'm planning a block schedule where we do Science/Music for 4 weeks and History/Art for 4 weeks.

The hit or miss thing is why we're doing year-round. At the moment, our whole family has the flu and we've declared a sick week (or two). At most, we're doing at-home math and re-reading the stories from AAR1.

• Like 3

We have an unusual, semi-year-round schedule. DS will begin 1st grade in June.

Language Arts:

Finish Logic of English Foundations D

Michael Clay Thompson Island Level (grammar, reading, writing, vocabulary, poetics)

Math:

Finish RightStart C (final 1/3)

Singapore 2B, 3A, 3B

Science:

Mr. Q Life Science

History:

History Odyssey Ancients

Math & Language Arts will be covered daily.

Science & History will alternate in 2-week mini units.

Our overall schedule is 4 weeks on, 1 week off.

Edited by Expat_Mama_Shelli
  • Like 1

We're doing year-round homeschooling 4 days a week (Ds has speech an hour away every week and we listen to audiobooks in the car) and a 4 week on 1 week off approach. While the 3R's will be done every school day, I'm planning a block schedule where we do Science/Music for 4 weeks and History/Art for 4 weeks.

We will also be working 4 weeks on / 1week off. We started that this year & love it! Long enough to get into a groove, but not so long we get burnt out.

Well I am still planning and thinking, but this is what I have so far. We will have another international move during 1st (one coming up here soon too) so I am going for simple do the next thing curriculum.

Language Arts:

Phonics Pathways

R&S phonics 1 (as a workbook supplement for the days it is needed)

WWE (using the guide and choosing our own passages to use)

HWOT 1

Pathway Readers 1st grade

Easy readers (Frog and Toad, Henry and Mudge)

Math:

Miquon red as secondary

R&S 1 as main spine

We also have RightStart math games

History:

Veritas Press OTAE (diy)

Trying to pick out what spine to use with this. The website is hard to follow what is essential and what is secondary.

Bible:

Training Hearts Teaching Minds

Veritas Press Gen- Joshua

Science:

Still thinking this through but as of now-

Christian Liberty Nature Reader 1

Art:

Deciding between tango (FREE!) Or ARTistic Pursuits or Art with a purpose

Music:

R&S 1

Thinking about adding in Memoria Press read alouds and enrichment for 1st.

Edited by lolo

First grade feels so real.

Kindergarten is like turning 16.  You feel so grown up!  But you know you're young and life is good. (If you mess up K, it's ok.)

1st grade is like turning 21.  Ve ry exciting and you feel like you've arrived.  Life is still exciting and you mess things up, but you learn a lot.  (1st grade=it's ok if you make mistakes.  You've got 12 years to figure this thing out.  You're just beginning.)

5th grade is like turning 30.  Holey moley! I never imagined I'd be thirty!  Wow!  I'm really a grown-up now.  This is getting serious!  I need to run out and buy a house or something.  :)   (Uh oh.  Middle school.  Gotta make sure the basics are down cold now.  No more playing around.)

7th/8th feels like turning 40.  Things aren't just getting serious.  Things are serious.  (7th/8th is the time for paving the way for high school.  Gotta make a sketch of a plan of what we'll learn in High School and make sure we're getting ready to jump in.)

High school feels like turning 50.  There is NO WAY I am this old!  I am half a century??  How did this happen!?  And you take a good hard look at the world around you and where you've ended up and you realize that you know a lot, but there's so much to the world left to explore.  (Oh boy.  High school.  This is real.  You've got some experience under your belt, but it's still scary.  Whatever happens now goes on your child's "permanent record" --transcript.  The grades count.  Gulp.)

Graduation is retirement.  

Edited by Garga
  • Like 8

We will also be working 4 weeks on / 1week off. We started that this year & love it! Long enough to get into a groove, but not so long we get burnt out.

We did 6 weeks on / 1 week off this year. It worked out great but once we start upping her daily work to include more than just reading, writing, and math, I know we'll need those breaks more often. After being in public schools growing up, I love the flexibility that homeschooling is giving us. Right now we're on an unexpected week long break thanks to the flu and we're gonna start back with the 4&1 break next week so Dd gets the new rhythm down before we start adding new stuff in.

Kindergarten is like turning 16.  You feel so grown up!  But you know you're young and life is good. (If you mess up K, it's ok.)

1st grade is like turning 21.  Ve ry exciting and you feel like you've arrived.  Life is still exciting and you mess things up, but you learn a lot.  (1st grade=it's ok if you make mistakes.  You've got 12 years to figure this thing out.  You're just beginning.)

5th grade is like turning 30.  Holey moley! I never imagined I'd be thirty!  Wow!  I'm really a grown-up now.  This is getting serious!  I need to run out and buy a house or something.  :)   (Uh oh.  Middle school.  Gotta make sure the basics are down cold now.  No more playing around.)

7th/8th feels like turning 40.  Things aren't just getting serious.  Things are serious.  (7th/8th is the time for paving the way for high school.  Gotta make a sketch of a plan of what we'll learn in High School and make sure we're getting ready to jump in.)

High school feels like turning 50.  There is NO WAY I am this old!  I am half a century??  How did this happen!?  And you take a good hard look at the world around you and where you've ended up and you realize that you know a lot, but there's so much to the world left to explore and you've got an almost adult to guide and maaaaybe you're finally up to the task.  Maybe.  (Oh boy.  High school.  This is real.  Whatever happens now goes on your child's "permanent record" --transcript.  The grades count.  Gulp.)

Graduation is retirement.  

This is the best homeschooling analogy I've ever read! 

• Like 2

This is my "baby" ... so likely my last time through 1st grade *sniff sniff*

MM 1 - maybe try some XtraMath for addition practice

AAR - currently she's barely on schedule to finish Level 1 this year, hopefully she picks up the pace through 2 and 3 and 4 like older DD did

AAS 1

Start copywork, probably just from Narnia books

Towards the end of the year introduce parts of speech with Ruth Heller picture books

HWT  Printing book

MOH 1 with 5th grader - coloring pages, oral narrations, wall timeline, and misc Ancients read alouds

Life science with various Magic School Bus videos and kits

Pfeiffer House Music

Artistic Pursuits

PE once a week at a local private school

Speech and debate club with the older kids - they have a fun "beginner speech" class for young siblings

• Like 1

This is my baby too!   Oldest is going to college.  Big changes!

He seems to have a mind for math and not so much for phonics.

We started MP K and it just went to fast in phonics for him, so I shelved it for the year.

We may do that for 1st.

Phonics/Reading..possibly MPK or continue with Abeka phonics

Math   Horizons 1 for spine and then games and supplements 

The rest:   Usually use a lot of MP and then local co-op day for fun stuff.

edited: accidentally hit send before I finished

Edited by Mbelle
  • Like 1

This is for my baby too, and I am not ready . I just want to read him picture books and play games all day. It goes too fast!

Anyway, we will probably just do a laid back year:

Home art audio

Handwriting without tears

Spelling you see

Miquion math

Keep learning to read

Edited by lovinmyboys
  • Like 1

My youngest has just started 1st. She is doing...

Mathsonline and Easy Learn Maths 1a/b

Learn to Read Write & Spell 2,3 and 4.

Copywork for handwriting

Give narrations for literature, history and Bible. Start to write some words and copy some of narrations.

SL Language Arts - complete level K, then level 1.

Read - SL readers K/1, McGuffey readers.

SL Core K (Bible, history, literature).

SL Science K

Piano and Violin

Art and activities related to history/phonics