Menu

Speaking of the cold, I'm going camping!

Ravin

DS's cub scout pack has their winter campout this coming weekend, and we're going.

Of course, a cold snap is going to roll in, and it will drop near freezing at night (the last couple weeks have been 15-20 degrees warmer than normal for this time of year). Fortunately, it's only one night, and daytime high should get up around 65.

The real challenge will be if they actually keep DS (and DD, and, let's be real, me) busy enough that they don't whine they are bored and miss their electronic devices.

• Like 8

We've done Scout camping at 20 degree nighttime temperatures. Not a problem for us as we used two sleeping bags each and extra sleeping pads. If you have tent platforms, no worries about wet ground under your tents. I love Scout camping, when you can load up your car -- as opposed to backpacking when what you carry is very limited.

Have a great time!

Are your scouts trying to earn their Polar Bear Camping Award?  

We earned ours a few years ago at an October campout. (Our pack seems to have the worst luck with campout weather. )  My advise is if using an air mattress, put a wool or fleece blanket between it and your sleeping bag.  Air mattresses are cold in the winter.  

The children are usually busy enough not to miss screens.  It is the adults who have trouble staying off their devices.

• Like 2

DH and DS are having their Boy Scout Klondike this weekend. They camp out and have a cold weather skills competition against other troops. They had Klondike one year where the weather was in the *negative* teens all weekend, so having single digits and teens this weekend shouldn't bother them much. Our council doesn't even give a Polar Bear Award!

Our girl scout ends up with temps like that in our Nov. fall camp most years. I agree with the mattress with something under you. A cheap fleece throw works well too. Then we just pile up the quilts. I have a really heavy denim quilt that my grandmother made that is so heavy. I love it for cold camping. I put it on top of a sleeping bag and a couple of other quilts and we are good. The kids usually get in sleeping bags on cots with lots of extra blankets.  We don't do backpacking either, so I load up tubs of extra blankets in the back of the van and put in the tent. 

DS has his cub scout winter camp last weekend and it was minus 30 or worse with the windchill.  They were certainly all entertained though!  He came home with multiple stories about Klondike and hunting the snipe and Snowmonkeys and he loved the food and had a great time (Although the ice fishing on the giant lake with no shelter from the wind was not his favourite).  He didn't miss his multiple varieties of screens at all.

He was pretty tired though and fell asleep on the two hour drive back to the city and then passed out cold mid-afternoon the next day following his return for about 3 hours.  

Good luck!  Hope yours is as well organized as his was.

Edited by Raifta
  • Like 2

I hope everyone has a great time! My least favourite thing when winter camping is having to go pee in the middle of the night. It's the most annoying thing of all time.  :cursing:

The worst part is the you must go pee, otherwise you're just keeping extra fluid in your body warm, while other parts of the body freeze. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

WE were told that Cub Scouts aren't supposed to camp with temps below 35. I wonder if that is changed, we've been misinformed, or if it varies by council. 

Dh is going camping this weekend but he is doing cold weather camping training, their Boy Scout group is supposed to go next weekend but it looks like someone dropped the ball planning that so I'm not sure it is happening. 

DS's cub scout pack has their winter campout this coming weekend, and we're going.

Of course, a cold snap is going to roll in, and it will drop near freezing at night (the last couple weeks have been 15-20 degrees warmer than normal for this time of year). Fortunately, it's only one night, and daytime high should get up around 65.

The real challenge will be if they actually keep DS (and DD, and, let's be real, me) busy enough that they don't whine they are bored and miss their electronic devices.

If you have cold rated sleeping bags, you'll be fine. If you don't and you don't want to buy them for one trip (BTDT), a fleece footed jammie with a 40 degree bag works okay IME.

The cubs will be busy and if they let the sibs tag along, they'll be busy too. The adults can sneak their phones when the kids aren't looking. Or go for a hike if they aren't needed for meal prep or two deep leadership.

You should do fine if you are a hardier soul than many.  The Boy Scouts should do fine too.  My dh and son camped with Boy Scouts in the winter at Chaco Canyon NM and it was much colder and they survived fine and it was probably both my son;s and husband's most memorable trip in Scout outdoor camping.  The stars were unbelievable,

One of my favorite backpacking trips was winter camping in the Boundary Waters in northern Minnesota. The snow was too deep for our dog (we had snowshoes) so we hiked over the frozen lakes instead. We followed wolf tracks that were following moose tracks...so cool.

At night we heard a pack of wolves singing near our campsite. It was the most peaceful, otherworldly sound I've ever heard. Whenever they would howl, our dog (a black lab) would cease breathing, as if to listen closer. He wasn't concerned--though very aware--so we knew we didn't have to be either.

It was cold though, and we had the right gear. Our poor pup snuggled in between us under a wool blanket to keep warm.

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 3