Menu

Dr. Hive--pain in sternum?

EMS83

DD (almost 12) says whenever she inhales, she gets a pain in her sternum.  It used to be in her rib cage, but now has moved to the center.  She describes it as stabbing, but doesn't ever show discomfort.  No coughing, no fever, no malaise, no recent blows to the ribs.  The pain increases the more deeply she breathes in.  Is there anything completely normal this could be?  I know if I google, it'll turn up cancer or something.

I remember getting feelings like side stitches, but in my ribs, and my mom basically said it was cartilage growth, how true that was...  :confused1:   But still, "growing pains"?  

something along the lines of mild pleurisy?  I used to get something that a lot when I was younger, occasional sharp pains where I'd have to stop moving my abdomen with breathing (breathe shallowly) for a few moments until it passed.  But it wasn't the big deal that Dr Google says pleurisy is, so I don't really know what it was.

• Like 1

I had a few conditions that caused similar symptoms a lot growing up. There's a couple things to try.  Try a few quarts of gatorade (or powerade zero, if you don't want the sugar).  If it's what the posters above are referring to as pleurisy, it just means the bit of tissue that covers her lungs is getting caught on her ribcage.  This is most often caused by dehydration, but it's also common in young women (13-25).  If a few quarts of fluid with electrolytes helps, she should just be more careful to stay hydrated in the future.

Costochondritis is also common, especially if she just had a virus.  She may not have even had symptoms of the virus, or it may have been triggered by a cold she had months prior. If that's the problem ibuprofen may help. Another thing that would help is a ginger compress - make a paste of powdered ginger and water, spread it on her skin above her sternum, and leave it on for 20 minutes, covered by a warm wet wash cloth and a dry towel.  Have her wear clothes she doesn't mind getting stained just in case, and be prepared for a tingling/drawing/slight burning sensation. It will dry into a grainy paste that will make a mess when she's done, so I highly recommend sitting on old furniture or a sheet or something to make clean up easier. If it helps she can repeat a few times to help it go away.

If it is costochondritis and it repeats frequently, be on guard for autoimmune conditions.  It's one of the symtoms of lupus.

There's also no reason why she can't down some powerade while doing the ginger compress, if you have everything on hand and she doesn't mind.

Edited by Katy
  • Like 1