What's with the ads?

Photo

Seeking suggestion for Home schooling Sam after school.

6 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 MRScorpion

MRScorpion

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:45 AM

I want to homeschool my kid, Sam. This is to enjoy some fun father-son time. He is 5 years old and goes to a nearby Montessori school. 
My doubt is whether I should be following some special pattern in the teaching or can I go with the instructions provided by the Montessori Language and Math materials I purchased from the online store, thinkamajigs.com

#2 MarkT

MarkT

Empress Bee

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2702 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:59 AM

Since you posted on the Afterschooling board I will assume that is your intent.

Afterschooling is supplementing the brick and mortar school using home-schooling methods.

(I did this with my DS from 7th grade to now Senior in HS).

I wish I had started earlier.

=====================

To answer your question - your student is very young so start with a topic that you both would enjoy - work that out with him/her - don't make it too much work - lean towards fun!

Mark

#3 SusanC

SusanC

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3376 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:42 AM

I agree with MarkT, and wet can give you suggestions for whatever subject(s) you choose. The Hive loves to make suggestions!

#4 MRScorpion

MRScorpion

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:37 AM

@MarkT: That's what I intent to do, have fun with him and also help him improve his skills. 

@Susan: Thanks!!! I appreciate it. Hoping to be of help myself too.

----------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------

Can you suggest me a good simple fun activity to start with. My research gave this activity of clown face for similar sounding word and another game of prefix-suffix from thehometeacher.org

I would start with that for now. 

#5 Tanaqui

Tanaqui

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8615 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:50 AM

Is there anything in particular you want to supplement?

Because, at five, I'd keep everything low-key. 20 minutes of reading every day, and sometimes he retells the story. Playing games together. Drawing and painting. Cooking together. Doing simple science "experiments". Everything child-led.

Edited by Tanaqui, 17 January 2018 - 01:51 AM.

• SusanC and Pen like this

#6 SusanC

SusanC

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3376 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:39 AM

(I don't know Montessori)
You could pick up a set of Cuisenaire rods to play with. Eventually, they are a great tool for developing numeracy skills, they help you visualize numbers and number pairs (but play with them first). Another board member put together a bunch of videos with suggestions for using them. Search "Education Unboxed"

At 5 it makes sense to really follow the child's interests.

I feel like most schools focus on math and reading and add long as those are going well you might want to complement them with a good history and/or science profession at home.

In another year or two you might consider reading aloud or listening to the Story of the World series. It is a great overview, roughly chronological, of world history.

#7 lmrich

lmrich

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4034 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 12:44 PM

Make sure you are reading quality literature to him. 

• MarkT likes this