Menu

Very Belated Downton Abbey Question

Ginevra

I don’t normally follow TV dramas. But I have belatedly begun getting episodes of Downton Abbey out from the library and watching them and have finished the first two seasons. I feel like I must have missed some crucial bit of info because here is one thing I don’t understand: why does O’Brian protect/defend/buddy up with Thomas? Everyone hates him and rightly so, because he’s a giant a$$. Yet she always approves of his devious schemes and helps him to carry them out. Why? They are not lovers; he is gay. Are they supposed to be related?

No. Actually (having watched the series 3 or 4 times through - but this isn't a spoiler, it is just familiarity), she is the one with the schemes and plans and she manipulates him. She is egging him on for her own purposes. He isn't a wonderful guy, but it is largely that she has been influencing him for so long....

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Because she’s terrible—much more diabolical than Thomas.

Interesting. I had not realized this. The only horrible thing that was her own plan (that i have noticed) was her moving the bar of soap because she thought her Ladyship was trying to replace her. But she realizes what she is arranging and how evil it is, though the outcome is still totally awful.

And tripping Mr. Bates in one of the first episodes and nudging Thomas on things to get rid of Bates. There will be more. She is quite subtle usually, and uses and manipulates others. I saw it more and more when rewatching. Yes, Thomas is nasty, but she is MUCH worse. Thomas has mostly had a hard time and bad influences... he is mostly looking out for himself, especially at first. His character does get a lot fuller over the seasons... he is not a simple character.

• Like 2

Interesting. I had not realized this. The only horrible thing that was her own plan (that i have noticed) was her moving the bar of soap because she thought her Ladyship was trying to replace her. But she realizes what she is arranging and how evil it is, though the outcome is still totally awful.

And actually, the most uncharacter-like thing she ever did was start to warn her Ladyship about the soap, and her treatment of her after that point.

Well, I don't remember O'Brian having much of a backstory to explain....

I've just rewatched the first episode, and the answer to the OP's question is there (although again, it is mostly her schemes...)

She states right in the episode that she wants Thomas to be the Valet so she can know what his Lordship says.

The Valet and Lady's Maid in general have a lot of power as far as servants go, especially when they are people who want that type of power. They hear conversations when they are in the background... more private ones than a house maid or footman are likely to hear. They also get to talk to the Lady/Lord while serving them.... often getting to hear their confidances and secrets. And they can sometimes suggest or influence the Lord/Lady because of that 'relationship'. This is shown constantly in the shows, even the first ones.

For example, O'Brian sets out trying to get Bates fired so she can help Thomas become the valet to gain more power. Thomas wants to be the valet, but it is O'Brian that convinces him to work towards that. Besides the campaign to convince Carson that Bates can't do the job, O'Brian convinces Her Lady that he can't... and she then convinces her husband to let him go. (He of course changes his mind). That is power. O'Brian wants to be able to wield the power easier over everyone. And of course, the knowledge of information of what the Lord is thinking as well as the Lady.

Think of the power Anna could have had if she had been a different type of person... she is the maid to the 3 young ladies. The power of knowing Mary's secret. But Anna isn't after power.

Edited by scoutingmom
  • Like 2

I thought there WAS some backstory and that they were distantly related, but it is revealed later in the show... can't remember anymore!  Now you have me wanting to re-watch!  

I thought the moment when O'Brian sees herself in the mirror and says something to the effect, "You are not this person, FirstName" (I forgot her first name, oops) is one of the most emotional and deep scenes in the series.  She is complex and as unpleasant as she is, and as happy as I was to see her go, she is not all bad.  

• Like 2

I think you are the only person who finds Mrs. O'Brien more sympathetic than Thomas! They're both villains, but, she's wilier .

It's been years since I watched the show, and the thing I remember most about it now is O'Brien saying to someone who said something cutting: "Get back in the knife drawer, Miss Sharp."  That tickled me.  She would have had a hilarious blog in a different lifetime..

• Like 1

I thought there WAS some backstory and that they were distantly related, but it is revealed later in the show... can't remember anymore! Now you have me wanting to re-watch!

I thought the moment when O'Brian sees herself in the mirror and says something to the effect, "You are not this person, FirstName" (I forgot her first name, oops) is one of the most emotional and deep scenes in the series. She is complex and as unpleasant as she is, and as happy as I was to see her go, she is not all bad.

Baxter (whom the OP hasn't met) and Thomas have a backstory. O'Brian and Thomas do not particularly that I can remember. O'Brian is related to Alfred (whom the OP probably hasn't met yet either).

Yes, O'Brian does have that moment right before her Ladyship slips where she regrets her plan. And she treats her Ladyship differently due to regret. But she is otherwise still immensely nasty and conniving to a very evil level otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think you are the only person who finds Mrs. O'Brien more sympathetic than Thomas! They're both villains, but, she's wilier .

It's been years since I watched the show, and the thing I remember most about it now is O'Brien saying to someone who said something cutting: "Get back in the knife drawer, Miss Sharp." That tickled me. She would have had a hilarious blog in a different lifetime..

Well the first time I watched it in those first seasons, I felt they were pretty even... but Thomas' actions and motives are a lot easier to see.

Each time I have rewatched the series I have noticed her actions more and more. She is much more wiley and manipulative. She is often the person saying quietly "go do this".

The first couple of times I watched the series, I thought Thomas had tripped Bates.... then I was watching and realized.... O'Brian tripped him!

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

• Like 1