Menu

Quick(er) way to decide whether to focus on SAT or ACT?

The SAT and ACT are now very similar.  It used to be that kids who did better with puzzle-type problems did better on the SAT, and kids who did better with more straightforward questions did better on the ACT, but the SAT has now removed the puzzle aspect.  

The SAT allows for more time per question, so if your student takes time thinking things through, the SAT may be a better choice.

That said, taking practice tests is a much better way to decide.  

Edited by EKS
  • Like 2

If a student does equally well in math and English/reading, then the main distinction would be slightly trickier questions with more time (SAT) versus more straightforward questions with less time per question (ACT).  

For a student who is somewhat weaker in math, the ACT might be preferable, since math is only 25% of the ACT composite, and the other three sections basically rely on language skills and reading comprehension. Conversely, mathy kids who are weaker in verbal skills may prefer the SAT.

There are significant differences for students with accommodations. It's easier and faster to get ACT accommodations, but students with extra time (usually time-and-a-half) are simply given one large block of time and have to pace themselves and allocate the time on their own (including breaks), whereas SAT just tacks the additional time onto each section, with mandatory stop/start times and breaks.

• Like 2

Interesting...

He is strong in math but reads slowly and carefully.   We worked through part of a PSAT prep book for a few weeks before this past October's test, and even that short stretch of work helped him to improve on his practice test score.  Because he is motivated to prepare, I would like to help him focus on one test or the other.  (He is in 10th grade this year.)  

He wouldn't need accommodations.

Thank you for your reply...

ACT is very time dependent and reading intensive. I'd focus on the SAT if he's strong in math and a slower reader.

But, honestly, it isn't that time intensive to take a practice test of each. In some cases, it is clear which one is better for a student. In others, it doesn't seem to matter.

• Like 3

Take the full ACT practice test (my DS HS Senior took that) - the ACT is more "comprehensive" across different "subject groups".  My DS also took the SAT practice test. After taking both and looking at how he scored he felt that SAT was his best route. He ended up not taking the real ACT.

He scored well on the SAT and has been offered Merit scholarships to colleges.

Take practice tests as close as possible to real testing - bubble sheets, calculator,  timed, etc

Per my DS they are still different enough - have your student involved in the process!

Since your student is in 10th grade he can do the practice tests early next summer after your "scheduled school year" obviously if you go year-round then ignore that.

If your student has a shot at National Merit then take PSAT for real in 11th otherwise you skip that.

My DS received NM commended which I believe helped with his merit aid offers.

Mark

I think I will go ahead and suggest to him that he take practice tests for each one.  I didn't want to wait until summer because I like the idea of spreading out the prep, at least for now... 15-20 minutes a day, two or three days per week.  It will be interesting to see how things play out.  I agree that he needs to be a part of the decision.

I don't think NM will happen unless he makes major improvements in reading speed by next fall.

Thank you to all who took the time to respond...   :001_smile:

• Like 2

Interesting...

He is strong in math but reads slowly and carefully.   We worked through part of a PSAT prep book for a few weeks before this past October's test, and even that short stretch of work helped him to improve on his practice test score.  Because he is motivated to prepare, I would like to help him focus on one test or the other.  (He is in 10th grade this year.)  

He wouldn't need accommodations.

Thank you for your reply...

It's hard to finish the ACT for slow and careful readers. I do think your best bet for deciding is to have him do a sample for each. Slow readers are "penalized" in 3 of the 4 ACT subject areas though, so I do think that makes it harder to get a good score there. 

• Like 2

I think a student weak in one subject will score better on the ACT - because the composite score is an average of the four scores while the SAT is a simple total of the scores. Much easier to hide one weak score in an average.

But, I think the ACT can be more intimidating than the SAT (at least for math) because they give you NO formulas (SAT gives you some geometry formulas) - which can be scary if you are used to seeing them there.

It is much easier to find free practice tests for the SAT online than the ACT.

There is free practice for the SAT through Khan. I haven't seen that for the ACT.

But, I had my oldest take both (scored better on ACT), and I'm having my youngest take both. She's already completed the SAT. Her scores from two practice tests are much higher than an equivalent score from her SAT - of course, she will have had 2 more months of math - and is more serious now - so maybe that accounts for it?