Menu

Primer

I have heard it Primer (short i) as base level instruction that unlocks learning something, such as a primer to learn how to read or a primer to unlock a code, etc.

Primer (as in long i) is a base coat of paint you paint before painting the tinted paint so the final color is smooth.

We pronounce them the same. They're the same word, really, about foundations.

I have heard it Primer (short i) as base level instruction that unlocks learning something, such as a primer to learn how to read or a primer to unlock a code, etc.

Primer (as in long i) is a base coat of paint you paint before painting the tinted paint so the final color is smooth.

This is how I understand it as well.

Here's an article about the two pronunciations; it talks about how the short-i pronunciation is an American thing while the long-i one is British - and, apparently, Australian as well. :) 

• Like 3

We pronounce them the same. They're the same word, really, about foundations.

Makes sense.  At least where I have lived in the U.S. there is a different pronunciation for the paint primer (long i) but I think I have only heard the short i version for all other uses.  I could be wrong, though.  I honestly wasn't paying terribly close attention.

I do know if I went into a paint store here and asked for primer with the short i they would either laugh at me or wonder what I was asking for.  :)

Shouldn't it be a long i sound, since the syllables would divide pri-mer? The open syllable is usually long. 

Speech is primary. Spelling is secondary. We do not pronounce words based on how they're spelled*, we (hopefully) spell them based on how they're pronounced.

* Though that IS one way the pronunciation of words changes in a literate society. For example, see the different pronunciation of "herb" in the UK and the US, or consider the fact that often with a pronounced /t/ used to be a huge shibboleth.

• Like 1

Speech is primary. Spelling is secondary. We do not pronounce words based on how they're spelled*, we (hopefully) spell them based on how they're pronounced.

* Though that IS one way the pronunciation of words changes in a literate society. For example, see the different pronunciation of "herb" in the UK and the US, or consider the fact that often with a pronounced /t/ used to be a huge shibboleth.

Prime is the root of the word primer (and primary).... long i!
  • Like 1

In my (American) family we have always said "primmer", a pronunciation that my mom and grandparents heard at school.

Having learned to read and spell from primers myself, I now wholeheartedly agree that it's an illogical pronunciation. But if I were to say "primer" with a long i to my mother, who taught me to read, she would likely be baffled and maybe even a little hurt.

I've got another one that's a little like this, though: the surname of Richard Scarry. (Those who like following rules may assume correctly from what I've written above that, discarding logic, we pronounce it "Scary." It wasn't until I began having chats with other parents about our kids' favorite books that I realized some people find that weird, and worse than weird, wrong.)