What's with the ads?

#1 texasmom33

texasmom33

Runaway of the Establishment Incorporated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6602 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:19 PM

I took frozen chicken breasts (bone in/skin on) out of the freezer last Tuesday to defrost in the fridge. (They are not vacuum sealed. It was from a massive package that I individually packed into Ziploc freezer bags and then froze last month.) By Thursday night they were still quite frozen so I couldn't cook them. This weekend was crazy and I forgot about them. They're obviously defrosted at this point and still in the fridge. 

They smell okay, but it's practically been a week. Cook or toss? My Mom says toss. What do y'all say? 

#2 regentrude

regentrude

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27111 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:20 PM

Toss.

I am usually in the "eat, no problem"- group, but not with raw poultry.

• KathyBC, StephanieZ, cintinative and 1 other like this

#3 SparklyUnicorn

SparklyUnicorn

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38864 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:29 PM

Oh boy that's a tough one.  If they smell ok I'd probably cook them, but it's right on the edge so I dunno.

• texasmom33 likes this

#4 texasmom33

texasmom33

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6602 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:31 PM

Well, with one vote  for toss and one vote iffy this early, I'm tossing it. It's not worth risking food poisoning for $5.00.  Y'all are usually "cook it!" so if it's already this bleak I'm fine with pitching it. :) 

• Catwoman, justasque, SparklyUnicorn and 1 other like this

#5 happysmileylady

happysmileylady

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4660 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:32 PM

If they smell OK, and were still frozen on Thursday, I would cook them up. 

• ThisIsTheDay likes this

#6 Rach

Rach

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:33 PM

If they smell fine I would cook it. Then I would spend all night awake worrying I had poisoned my family!
  • Moonhawk and texasmom33 like this

#7 Annie G

Annie G

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8516 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:36 PM

I bought chicken yesterday- not frozen- and it had a sell by date of January 19. So that's like six days.  But when you look at Dept. of Agriculture guidelines it says to cook no more than two days after thawing. I'm pretty sure my chicken was shipped frozen, then my store thawed it and slapped a date on it. (Tyson boneless breasts)    I'd REALLY like to know why those two things don't match- the DoA recommendation and the six day away sell by date. 

So really, if you bought it fresh and froze it right away, I'd probably eat it. But if you froze it after it sat in the fridge for a few days (which I am known to do if I'm not going to get around to cooking it when I thought I would) then I'd probably toss it. Reluctantly, though. 

• texasmom33 likes this

#8 Tap

Tap

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17093 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:54 PM

I would toss. Since part of them was thawed for that time, i would toss the package without thought. 

• cintinative and texasmom33 like this

#9 ThisIsTheDay

ThisIsTheDay

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4169 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:34 PM

I'd eat. They were mostly still frozen on Thursday.

#10 texasmom33

texasmom33

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6602 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:24 PM

I bought chicken yesterday- not frozen- and it had a sell by date of January 19. So that's like six days.  But when you look at Dept. of Agriculture guidelines it says to cook no more than two days after thawing. I'm pretty sure my chicken was shipped frozen, then my store thawed it and slapped a date on it. (Tyson boneless breasts)    I'd REALLY like to know why those two things don't match- the DoA recommendation and the six day away sell by date. 

So really, if you bought it fresh and froze it right away, I'd probably eat it. But if you froze it after it sat in the fridge for a few days (which I am known to do if I'm not going to get around to cooking it when I thought I would) then I'd probably toss it. Reluctantly, though. 

This is my issue. People gripe about Americans and food waste, but I've yet to find a consistent, logical guideline on much of this. We had a friend whose Dad was a food inspector and man, they would eat SO much that we wouldn't have touched in a million years, but this is one area where my "rule following" nature shines. But we throw away so. much. stuff. It's annoying. But stuff happens and plans don't work out and then what do you do? 

At any rate, I pitched them. We went out for pizza instead. A crappy ice storm is coming tonight anyway, so it was nice to get out of the house knowing we won't for a couple of days. 

• Annie G and Catwoman like this

#11 Catwoman

Catwoman

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30248 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:03 AM

I’m glad you tossed them. Better safe than possibly getting sick!