Menu

Feel like doing some shopping? (For my daughter...)

Chris in VA

Hive Shoppers--

We are looking for college music auditions clothing. Sort of business-y.

Caveats--She is a viola player, so 

*no shoulder embellishments

*has to be able to move around a bit (no sheaths)

*can't be revealing (no v necks because of the way they can pucker when playing)

*no skater dresses (hates them)

*has some sort of pattern, because she can't wear necklaces or bracelets while playing

We found a dress at Francesca's that might work--and one at White House, Black Market that we bought because it was stunning on her and she needs a grown-up dress anyway. 

Links--

Francesca's dress

White House BM dress     This looks great on her, but is too tight at the bottom (and we got it for half off, plus 10% more off because she's a student--I am not looking to pay full price in this range!)

IKR? Picky picky picky

Any ideas? 

Skirt and blouse would work but she can't tuck in the blouse because they pull out when she's playing. Nice slacks and a blouse--sure, but she doesn't want bell sleeves (they ride up when playing and get in the way), and...they are all bell sleeves...lol...not really, but sheesh, this is hard to find. She needs something more than a button down and pair of black pants. 

I think the floral dress is too busy and casual for auditioning to major in a classical program. I’d look at this as an opportunity to start building a concert wardrobe. Something like the options on this website.

http://www.concertblack.com

They are separates but the tops don’t tuck in. Or maybe a similar top and a more fun skirt? I don’t think you need a long skirt. Though I would watch skirt length if she is going to be sitting at all during the audition process.

This is a more casual black option but still dressy enough for some concerts https://www.modcloth.com/shop/newarrivals/date-night-done-right-a-line-dress/152854.html

ETA it’s too bad that 2nd dress won’t work because that’s a great look! Professional but still beautiful.

Edited by WoolySocks
  • Like 5

Boden has a lot of classy items with fun prints. They always have good sales and their clearance section is great so that is when I purchase.

I love their clothes normally, but we didn't see anything this time around. She's a size 0 in Petites and they only have 2s.

Too young, unfortunately. Cute, tho!

I think the floral dress is too busy and casual for auditioning to major in a classical program. I’d look at this as an opportunity to start building a concert wardrobe. Something like the options on this website.

http://www.concertblack.com

They are separates but the tops don’t tuck in. Or maybe a similar top and a more fun skirt? I don’t think you need a long skirt. Though I would watch skirt length if she is going to be sitting at all during the audition process.

This is a more casual black option but still dressy enough for some concerts https://www.modcloth.com/shop/newarrivals/date-night-done-right-a-line-dress/152854.html

ETA it’s too bad that 2nd dress won’t work because that’s a great look! Professional but still beautiful.

Hmm. Thanks for the comment about the floral dress. Yes, it may be too casual. It's like a sweater-y knit and is easy to move in. She doesn't have to wear concert clothes for the audition, but she is thinking less casual. 

I will look at the modcloth site more! 

Business dress is usually recommended for college interviews and I would use that as a guideline for an audition as well. The first dress, the floral, is too casual. The second dress would be great, but it doesn't sound like she could play her instrument in it. Can you look for a similar dress with an a line skirt? 

Oh my goodness, I probably did my music program audition in a sweatshirt and jeans. But I play trumpet and was auditioning for the Jazz program. At least that's what I tell myself so I'm not so embarrassed all these years later (first-gen student, no one told me this stuff!).

Anyway, does your DD have an already-graduated friend from her HS orchestra who went onto a college program that may have any insight? My instinct would be something similar to concert dress, maybe not quite as dressy. But I have no orchestral experience, and the atmosphere and expectations over there (and the choral department) compared to the band's was different. Good luck to her!

I love these dresses, but I am thinking she will need something longer. If she stands to play, the dress will come up some when she raises her arms. If she has to sit to play, she will want a longer dress. This is just something my daughter has thought of with orchestra clothes.

Oo, that frocked velvet is really pretty.

We are now thinking more conservative and mostly black. 

Oh well. At least she has a couple of dresses for other occasions! 

Finding flats that fit is also a challenge. I can't wait for this to be over! lol  

• Like 1