What's with the ads?

#1 Indigo Blue

Indigo Blue

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:44 PM

Can anyone make this simple? There is so much confusing information and it's hard to sift through. We have a flight planned for March, 2018. We live in a compliant state. I'm understanding so far that, beginning on January 22, 2018, TSA will begin to accept alternate forms of ID if you still haven't gotten a REAL ID. Then, on October 1, 2018, they will only accept a REAL ID.

So, if we are flying in March, will they accept a passport? Or, if we are flying in March (from NC) what exactly will we need to have in order to board the plane? 

None of us have the new id's yet. We could get them, but  we live in a state that has very crowded DMV offices. And right now, the lines are even longer because of people trying to get new id's. If we just want to skip it for now, I would love to know EXACTLY what we can take with us that will get us through security. 

I'm just not clear when everything is taking place, and if there will still be other options. If so, for how long? And even when the REAL ID is in effect (Oct 2018) is this the ONLY option you have? Can you still fly with just a passport without having the new REAL ID?

And again, is my understanding correct that TSA will accept alternate forms of ID until Oct 2018 for NC (or any state)? If so, exactly what forms of alternate ID will the TSA accept?

Thanks SO much to anyone able to answer these questions accurately, in a simple way that I can understand. I'm confused. :(

#2 Liz CA

Liz CA

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13833 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:10 PM

Would they not accept a passport in any case?

• Jyhwkmama likes this

#3 Heigh Ho

Heigh Ho

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12319 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:14 PM

https://www.tsa.gov/.../identification

• Amira and Indigo Blue like this

#4 Jyhwkmama

Jyhwkmama

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:15 PM

Passport trumps all other ID. Passport is always ok.

• EKS, Patty Joanna, Amira and 10 others like this

#5 Amira

Amira

In a maze of beige

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9254 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:26 PM

Yes, no worries if you have current passports. That’s the best option. Have fun!
  • TheReader, PinkyandtheBrains., Pam in CT and 1 other like this

#6 Indigo Blue

Indigo Blue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:36 PM

We don't have passports. I was considering that we might get them instead, but there might not be enough time. I think the best thing to do is to make an appointment at the DMV for Saturday morning. We'll all be here together, and we can just all go get them done. Our DMV is such a nightmare to deal with, so definitely will try to get appointments.

We don't fly very often, so we don't keep up with all this stuff!

#7 Acorn

Acorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1201 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:48 PM

I think if I’ve read the tsa FAQ correctly, that if you are from a US state, not territory, you can use current drivers license until Oct 2018.
  • Ali in OR, Spryte and Rach like this

#8 Rach

Rach

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5057 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:32 PM

I think if I’ve read the tsa FAQ correctly, that if you are from a US state, not territory, you can use current drivers license until Oct 2018.

This is what I have read too.

#9 plansrme

plansrme

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5849 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:40 PM

I think you can get a passport before March in any case. Every time I or a family member has gotten a passport, it has come much faster than it was promised. Passports are expensive, but they are handy in case you ever need to flee the country on short notice.
  • JFSinIL, slr1765, Quill and 3 others like this

#10 importswim

importswim

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 216 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:49 PM

I read the FAQ and it looks like if you are in a compliant state then your current driver's license IS a REAL ID. You would only have to worry about it if flying after October 2018 AND if you lived in a non-compliant state.

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

• kitten18 and Pam in CT like this

#11 Sherry in OH

Sherry in OH

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2154 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:51 PM

Can anyone make this simple? There is so much confusing information and it's hard to sift through. We have a flight planned for March, 2018. We live in a compliant state. I'm understanding so far that, beginning on January 22, 2018, TSA will begin to accept alternate forms of ID if you still haven't gotten a REAL ID. Then, on October 1, 2018, they will only accept a REAL ID.

So, if we are flying in March, will they accept a passport? Or, if we are flying in March (from NC) what exactly will we need to have in order to board the plane? 

None of us have the new id's yet. We could get them, but  we live in a state that has very crowded DMV offices. And right now, the lines are even longer because of people trying to get new id's. If we just want to skip it for now, I would love to know EXACTLY what we can take with us that will get us through security. 

I'm just not clear when everything is taking place, and if there will still be other options. If so, for how long? And even when the REAL ID is in effect (Oct 2018) is this the ONLY option you have? Can you still fly with just a passport without having the new REAL ID?

And again, is my understanding correct that TSA will accept alternate forms of ID until Oct 2018 for NC (or any state)? If so, exactly what forms of alternate ID will the TSA accept?

Thanks SO much to anyone able to answer these questions accurately, in a simple way that I can understand. I'm confused. :(

I'm confused.  If you live in a compliant state and have a valid driver's license, you don't need to do anything.  Just show your driver's license.

If you meant to type non-compliant state, extensions have been granted until October 2018.  You can fly before then using your current driver's license.  

You can also use any of the other forms of ID listed on the Department of Homeland Security's REAL ID website.  A US Passport is probably the easiest alternate ID to acquire.  If you start the process now, you should have your passport by March, you will definately have it before October.  

• Amira, Quill, creekland and 4 others like this

#12 justasque

justasque

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 03:23 PM

Passport trumps all other ID. Passport is always ok.

This.  A passport is the gold standard travel & ID document.  Why spend the money on a REAL ID when you could put it towards a passport instead?  (Obviously it depends on the cost of the REAL ID vs. the cost of a passport, but last time I looked the REAL ID seemed expensive to me.)  If you are just using it to fly domestically, then a Passport Card might also be a good choice, as, at $30, it is significantly cheaper than a regular passport book (though not as useful).  NY, a border state, has another option, the "enhanced" license, which is $30 more than a regular one but is also REAL ID compliant *and* can be used for land border crossings to/from Canada and Mexico.

• Crimson Wife, creekland and Indigo Blue like this

#13 PeterPan

PeterPan

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31633 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 03:46 PM

Here's the FAQs and maps to figure out if your state is compliant. https://www.dhs.gov/real-id  I hadn't even heard about all this, but happily our state is compliant, meaning it's a non-issue for us.

For the op, looks like NC is already compliant.

Edited by PeterPan, 15 January 2018 - 03:47 PM.

• Indigo Blue likes this

#14 GGardner

GGardner

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1813 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 03:56 PM

This.  A passport is the gold standard travel & ID document.  Why spend the money on a REAL ID when you could put it towards a passport instead? 

Does your state charge extra for a real id driver's license?  When I renewed my license a couple of years ago, I had it upgraded to a real id compliant by showing additional forms of id, but it cost the same as a normal renewal.

If I didn't bring the additional forms, then I could have gotten a non-real id compliant drivers license, even though I live in a "compliant" state.  I *think*, but correct me if I'm wrong, that this is the kind of license we'll need to fly domestically in the US after October 2020.  That is, if the TSA doesn't push the date out again.

Edited by GGardner, 15 January 2018 - 04:00 PM.

• ashfern likes this

#15 Rach

Rach

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5057 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 03:57 PM

Nm

Edited by Rach, 15 January 2018 - 04:00 PM.

#16 Corraleno

Corraleno

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8612 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:01 PM

The October 2018 "deadline" is just the expiration date of the current 1-yr extensions. States that are currently "working towards compliance" are likely to be given continued extensions, which just need to be renewed annually. 

• GGardner and Indigo Blue like this

#17 hgreenm

hgreenm

Just Visiting

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:09 PM

If you are in a compliant state and your driver's license has the gold star in the corner isn't that your TSA real id? When we got ours I jokingly asked if the gold star was for a good driving record. DMV person laughed and said it was for showing my passport when I renewed.

#18 medawyn

medawyn

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1136 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 05:30 PM

https://www.tsa.gov/...d_factsheet.pdf

You are fine to fly with an ID from a compliant state until 10/2020, so I wouldn't worry about it before March.  If you are going to renew your DL after this flight in March and 10/20, you will be able to present the necessary documentation at that time.

Also, passports are handy things to have.  And if you are getting a passport, go ahead and get a passport card, too.

• justasque and Indigo Blue like this

#19 Farrar

Farrar

Expert Cat Herder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22810 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 05:33 PM

I think she's saying that her state is compliant, but that she has an older driver's license so hers is not a REAL ID yet - not unless she renews it early or replaces it.

• slr1765, ashfern and Rach like this

#20 Mbelle

Mbelle

Just Visiting

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 05:53 PM

Is this RealID optional?  I need to renew and it is not giving me the option to just have a regular DL. I have a passport, so I do not need a Real ID.  It feels a bit OTT.  It says I'm going to have to go in.  I just got it 5years ago and not one thing has changed in my life.

#21 Rach

Rach

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5057 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:09 PM

Is this RealID optional? I need to renew and it is not giving me the option to just have a regular DL. I have a passport, so I do not need a Real ID. It feels a bit OTT. It says I'm going to have to go in. I just got it 5years ago and not one thing has changed in my life.

It depends on your state. It is not required in my state.

#22 Indigo Blue

Indigo Blue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:11 PM

Is this RealID optional?  I need to renew and it is not giving me the option to just have a regular DL. I have a passport, so I do not need a Real ID.  It feels a bit OTT.  It says I'm going to have to go in.  I just got it 5years ago and not one thing has changed in my life.

My understanding now is that it's not mandatory...I think. But a passport will do, at least for flying. You could still fly with a regular driver's license, but you would need to have other forms of ID instead in addition to your regular driver's license....I think. When all this takes effect for each state, I'm still trying to figure out. I'm still not sure what exactly "compliant" means.

ETA: don't hold me to this...I'm still fuzzy on this! lol

Edited by Indigo Blue, 15 January 2018 - 06:12 PM.

#23 kbutton

kbutton

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:16 PM

I think she's saying that her state is compliant, but that she has an older driver's license so hers is not a REAL ID yet - not unless she renews it early or replaces it.

So if we're in a compliant state, how do we know if our ID is a Real ID or not?

I haven't done anything different to renew mine, and I don't think I've been asked to or given the opportunity to do anything different. We do have to show multiple/specific forms of ID to get a driver's license here--the kind of things you have to bring to obtain a passport, but the last time I did that was about 18 years ago. 

#24 Indigo Blue

Indigo Blue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:23 PM

We have a ds who lives out of state, so we're just going to go ahead and get all our licenses replaced now instead of waiting for renewal. Mine doesn't renew for eight years. Since I have eight years, at some point before then, I would need to get it done anyway, if I wanted to fly somewhere. We could wait closer to the deadline, but I think I will have better peace of mind knowing we have the easiest form of ID to use instead of worrying about other forms of ID, especially if some emergency comes up and we need to fly quickly out of town to ds at some point in the future.

I've spent all afternoon getting all the documentation together just to take to the DMV to get the new ID! That is for dh, me, and younger ds.

There is always an extremely long wait at our DMV, but I'm going to try to get appointments. It's also almost impossible to get anyone by phone there, too. This headache just needs to be taken care of asap.

Edited by Indigo Blue, 15 January 2018 - 06:24 PM.

#25 Indigo Blue

Indigo Blue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:25 PM

I haven't done anything different to renew mine, and I don't think I've been asked to or given the opportunity to do anything different. We do have to show multiple/specific forms of ID to get a driver's license here--the kind of things you have to bring to obtain a passport, but the last time I did that was about 18 years ago. 

OUrs will have a star in the upper right corner. I'm guessing it's the same for all states?

• Sandwalker likes this

#26 Alessandra

Alessandra

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7151 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:29 PM

It's weird. A few years ago, I had to bring in originals of all documents to renew an existing drivers license, yet my state Is non-compliant. 😡😡

As for the drivers license renewal, have you thought of going to another branch of DMV? I drive almost two hours to get to a less ctowded office and still end up saving time and frustration. When I lived in NYC, I took two subways, the Staten Island ferry, and a bus to get to a good office -- saved a lot of time, strange though that may seem.
  • Frances and Pam in CT like this

#27 Farrar

Farrar

Expert Cat Herder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22810 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:29 PM

I assume you'd have to look at your state DMV and see when they became compliant vs. when yours was issued. Unless I'm misunderstanding this, there's something about the ID card itself that makes it a REAL ID that can be recognized as one by the TSA and other relevant agencies so it's not just that it's from your state - if they became compliant in 2015 and your license was from 2013, you need a new one. If you're not about to fly, the issue will eventually resolve itself the next time you get a new card and then you'll be fine. It's not that you'll necessarily have to show new papers or proof of ID - if they're already satisfied by your documentation, they'll renew the way they always have. But then they'll give you the ID that's compliant. I think these ID's are harder to counterfeit, for one thing.

#28 justasque

justasque

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:32 PM

We have a ds who lives out of state, so we're just going to go ahead and get all our licenses replaced now instead of waiting for renewal. Mine doesn't renew for eight years. Since I have eight years, at some point before then, I would need to get it done anyway, if I wanted to fly somewhere. We could wait closer to the deadline, but I think I will have better peace of mind knowing we have the easiest form of ID to use instead of worrying about other forms of ID, especially if some emergency comes up and we need to fly quickly out of town to ds at some point in the future.

If you've got eight years left on your license, I would seriously consider a passport (or, if  money is an issue, a passport card for $30).  The driver's license will only be valid for air travel within the US; if you go abroad you will need a passport.  The passport card is REAL ID compliant, so can be used for everything you can use the license for (except it's not a driver's license, obviously).  The passport card can ALSO be used for entering the United States at land border crossings and sea ports-of-entry from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.  Like a regular passport, it's good for ten years.

A passport is, by far, the easiest form of ID to use.  It trumps everything else.  We've used ours for everything from international travel to proof of age for joining the local soccer team, to the SATs, to proof of citizenship when accepting a new job.  It is the gold standard form of ID, recognized around the world.

• Frances, creekland, Farrar and 2 others like this

#29 AngieW in Texas

AngieW in Texas

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6616 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:04 PM

You have a good chance of getting your passports if you do that now. I applied for my passport on November 21 and received it on December 11. That was without expedited processing.

• PinkyandtheBrains. and Indigo Blue like this

#30 Frances

Frances

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2297 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:53 PM

I've spent all afternoon getting all the documentation together just to take to the DMV to get the new ID! That is for dh, me, and younger ds.

There is always an extremely long wait at our DMV, but I'm going to try to get appointments. It's also almost impossible to get anyone by phone there, too. This headache just needs to be taken care of asap.

Have you ever tried a DMV in a nearby town? At least here in my city of 300,000 we never go to the DVM. We always drive to a nearby small town and rarely have to wait at all. Some people also let their children do the driving tests in the small towns because they are easier and you can get appointments much sooner, but we wanted our son to test in city driving conditions.
  • Alessandra and kbutton like this

#31 kbutton

kbutton

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:24 PM

OUrs will have a star in the upper right corner. I'm guessing it's the same for all states?

It has a star, but not in the corner. 

I assume you'd have to look at your state DMV and see when they became compliant vs. when yours was issued. Unless I'm misunderstanding this, there's something about the ID card itself that makes it a REAL ID that can be recognized as one by the TSA and other relevant agencies so it's not just that it's from your state - if they became compliant in 2015 and your license was from 2013, you need a new one. If you're not about to fly, the issue will eventually resolve itself the next time you get a new card and then you'll be fine. It's not that you'll necessarily have to show new papers or proof of ID - if they're already satisfied by your documentation, they'll renew the way they always have. But then they'll give you the ID that's compliant. I think these ID's are harder to counterfeit, for one thing.

I found an article on the DHS site that says our state has been compliant since at least 2012, and mine was updated after that. Thanks!

• Farrar likes this

#32 Sherry in OH

Sherry in OH

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2154 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:58 PM

How long are driver's licenses valid in your state?  In Ohio, DLs are valid for four years and must be renewed in person.  I renewed mine this past week.  I did not see or hear any mention of Real ID at the DMV.  My new license has the gold star, leading me to believe that in Ohio at least, Real ID is mandatory.

#33 creekland

creekland

Retired homeschooler!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24940 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:13 PM

After reading through this thread, I'm just glad we have passports.  Like a PP, we use them for anything requiring ID, not just foreign travel.  They are very, very handy things to have.

PA is non-compliant, but I don't have to give a hoot.

• justasque likes this

#34 regentrude

regentrude

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27040 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:16 PM

And if you are getting a passport, go ahead and get a passport card, too.

Why? What is the point in having the card in addition to a passport?

#35 medawyn

medawyn

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1136 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:42 PM

I find it easier to travel domestically with my passport card and no worries about possibly losing my passport. It’s functional at the US border, and there’s never a dispute about whether it’s valid (an issue I have had twice in 2017 with my perfectly valid REAL ID and uninformed TSA agents).
  • Alessandra, justasque and kbutton like this

#36 justasque

justasque

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:52 PM

You don't *need* both.  My kids have their cards with them at college.  It lets them cross the land border to nearby relatives in an emergency (or for fun), lets them show citizenship when getting a job, and lets them fly domestically, without risking losing their passport booklet (or having it stolen) in a chaotic dorm environment.  I know one ought not to think of it as a losable form of passport, but at only $30, and with absent-minded kids, well...

For people who don't have a passport booklet, it's a much cheaper option than a booklet if they are only flying domestically and doing land border crossings.  For those who don't drive, it's not much more expensive than my state's ID for non-drivers, significantly more useful, and not age-restricted (last I looked you had to be 15ish for the state ID), so if you need inexpensive ID for younger kids, or the elderly, it may be a useful option.  And of course it was designed for those living in border towns who cross regularly (shopping, skiiing, etc.), so might be useful for people in that situation who don't want to shell out for the much-more-expensive booklet version.

• Alessandra, regentrude and kbutton like this

#37 Pam in CT

Pam in CT

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5985 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:07 AM

re DMV lines - ours is very close to us and on my regular errand route, so I can easily gauge line length at opening bell (7a during the week, 8a on weekends).  The lines are *much* longer the last 5 days of the month, than the first 5 days -- so many renewals are due by end-month, and people procrastinate.  Weekends are the worst.

I don't understand the purpose of a passport card if you already have a passport.  Where is a card helpful, where a passport wouldn't do the trick? Why get both?  (I do understand that the reverse is not true and that the card is cheaper).

#38 justasque

justasque

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:37 AM

re DMV lines - ours is very close to us and on my regular errand route, so I can easily gauge line length at opening bell (7a during the week, 8a on weekends).  The lines are *much* longer the last 5 days of the month, than the first 5 days -- so many renewals are due by end-month, and people procrastinate.  Weekends are the worst.

I don't understand the purpose of a passport card if you already have a passport.  Where is a card helpful, where a passport wouldn't do the trick? Why get both?  (I do understand that the reverse is not true and that the card is cheaper).

As I understand it, passport cards are designed for people who live near the border and cross frequently for shopping, entertainment, or business reasons.  The idea is that you can just carry it in your wallet as you would a drivers' license, rather than having to remember to bring your passport booklet.  Not as big a deal for people who carry ginormous purses wherever they go and are comfortable carrying their passport booklet with them all day, but quite a bit more convenient for those who generally carry their essentials in a wallet.

• Pam in CT likes this

#39 Corraleno

Corraleno

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8612 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 06:31 AM

Well I can kinda understand the appeal if you have flaky kids who lose things easily and don't want them carrying around their actual passport. However, for people who fly a lot, I would spend the extra money ($100 versus $30 for the passport card) and get a TSA Global Entry card, which gives you TSA Precheck privileges, expedited immigration processing when returning from abroad, and functions as a Real ID. My kids and I all have Global Entry cards, and I plan to send DS off to college with his drivers license (not currently Real ID) and his Global Entry card, and keep his actual passport safe at home. GE cards are good for 5 years.
  • justasque and Pam in CT like this

#40 MotherGoose

MotherGoose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2572 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 06:51 AM

We don't have passports. I was considering that we might get them instead, but there might not be enough time. I think the best thing to do is to make an appointment at the DMV for Saturday morning. We'll all be here together, and we can just all go get them done. Our DMV is such a nightmare to deal with, so definitely will try to get appointments.

We don't fly very often, so we don't keep up with all this stuff!

If you don't fly internationally I wouldn't get a passport. They will cost at least $100 each and are a pain.
  • Prairie~Phlox likes this

#41 Prairie~Phlox

Prairie~Phlox

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2711 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:23 AM

If you don't fly internationally I wouldn't get a passport. They will cost at least $100 each and are a pain.

I agree

#42 Laura Corin

Laura Corin

She who plants flowers for bees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24155 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:47 AM

A passport is, by far, the easiest form of ID to use.  It trumps everything else.  We've used ours for everything from international travel to proof of age for joining the local soccer team, to the SATs, to proof of citizenship when accepting a new job.  It is the gold standard form of ID, recognized around the world.

Bunny trail. 

There was a stop put on my husband's US passport renewal one time (someone with a similar name, similar date of birth and same enormous city of birth owed child support).  When the office finally decided to give him his passport, they said that they could not guarantee that he would not have problems with this again, as the similarity of the data might spark more enquiries in the future.  He asked them what he could do about this.  They suggested carrying his British passport as well any time he entered the US (he's a dual citizen but US born-and-bred).

• justasque and Pam in CT like this

#43 creekland

creekland

Retired homeschooler!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24940 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:46 AM

I understand the cost for some folks' budgets, but how are they a pain?  We've never found them to be a pain.  We've found them to be super useful whenever any form of ID is needed from summer camp to work permits to work forms or whatever. In their youth, they weren't always old enough for a Driver's License.

My guys have theirs at college and have never had a problem.  If something came up and they wanted to go on a trip, they don't have to worry about getting one.

• Annie G, justasque and regentrude like this

#44 Crimson Wife

Crimson Wife

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19718 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:17 PM

It's smaller and more easily fits in a wallet. I got my passport card before renewing my passport book because of the price difference (we drive to Canada a lot more often than we fly internationally). Now that I have both, I still use my passport card more frequently due to the size.

• justasque likes this

#45 Crimson Wife

Crimson Wife

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19718 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:28 PM

Well I can kinda understand the appeal if you have flaky kids who lose things easily and don't want them carrying around their actual passport. However, for people who fly a lot, I would spend the extra money ($100 versus $30 for the passport card) and get a TSA Global Entry card, which gives you TSA Precheck privileges, expedited immigration processing when returning from abroad, and functions as a Real ID. My kids and I all have Global Entry cards, and I plan to send DS off to college with his drivers license (not currently Real ID) and his Global Entry card, and keep his actual passport safe at home. GE cards are good for 5 years.

I didn't find applying for a passport to be a pain but when I looked into Global Entry the requirements for that *DID* look like a pain. To get TSA Pre-Check I applied at a place 15 minutes from my house and appointments were available a couple weeks out. For Global Entry I would've had to schedule an interview at the airport (60+ minute drive each way) and the soonest available were something like 4 months out. Plus there is no minimum age for Global Entry so I would've had to have done it for my younger kids too rather than just my teen. We don't fly internationally enough to make the hassle and price premium of GE worth doing over just Pre-Check.

#46 MotherGoose

MotherGoose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2572 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:26 AM

I understand the cost for some folks' budgets, but how are they a pain? We've never found them to be a pain. We've found them to be super useful whenever any form of ID is needed from summer camp to work permits to work forms or whatever. In their youth, they weren't always old enough for a Driver's License.

My guys have theirs at college and have never had a problem. If something came up and they wanted to go on a trip, they don't have to worry about getting one.

I meant that the OP is finding going to the DMV a pain, and surely going to get a passport is more of a pain than the DMV. :). I have a passport and find it quite useful but I travel internationally.
  • creekland likes this

#47 transientChris

transientChris

Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10845 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:50 AM

I read the FAQ and it looks like if you are in a compliant state then your current driver's license IS a REAL ID. You would only have to worry about it if flying after October 2018 AND if you lived in a non-compliant state.

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

No. and it makes me mad over here.   We all moved here in 2011/2012.  Because we moved from out of state, we provided all the documentation that is still required for real ID already.  But the state wasn't ready to make special cards.  My dd who got her license when she was 16, has a Real ID DL (and a passport and a military dependent retiree ID).  My other dd who moved here last year and her dh also have the real ID, plus she has a passport and he has a passport card or whatever that thing is.  We have military retiree IDs and passports so we aren't going to wait in horrible lines.  The only person who does have to is my son- and he is probably getting a passport even though he isn't planning any trips abroad now but I think he is thinking he may within ten years.

#48 transientChris

transientChris

Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10845 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:03 AM

We did TSA precheck before our last trip but looked into and couldn't do the Global Entry- it would require a multi-day trip for us because we do not live near one of the major airports that is doing them.  It was just too difficult logistically and we didn't even know at that time we were going to be travelling overseas this year.  We will be going to that airport but logistically I still don't think it will work.