Menu

How do you do it?

I want to after school my 8 yr old in math. She's pretty advanced in math but the school is keeping her at a second grade level. The problem is she is too tired and completely done by the time she gets home from school. So, I'm trying to do some enrichment on Saturdays and school off days like today. I homeschool my other kids so this isn't a big deal. She just really is opposed to this idea and thinks she shouldn't have to do anything if school isn't in session.

Games and more interactive math-based activities (discussions, puzzles, etc.). Real-life applications of math and high-interest activities. I'd foment a love for math through these things.

Agreed.  Don't make it "school".  Her brain needs downtime from "school".  

Incorporate math based activities and games and incorporate intentional real life math into daily activities for all the kids where she sees her siblings also doing these things so she doesn't feel singled out and it just becomes an enriching part of the landscape.

• Like 2

My advanced kid was and is similar.  I find that when it comes to math advancement, the only thing that works for her is outside classes.  She will listen to other adults where she doesn't want to listen to me.

I would also encourage other activities.  Does it have to be math?  My kid loves projects like Tinker Crate, various kinds of nonfiction reading, occasionally cooking, etc.  Also at 8yo there are lots of low-commitment museum and library programs if you live in or near a city.  Also music lessons / scouts can help expand the mind.

Edited by SKL

I want to after school my 8 yr old in math. She's pretty advanced in math but the school is keeping her at a second grade level. The problem is she is too tired and completely done by the time she gets home from school. So, I'm trying to do some enrichment on Saturdays and school off days like today. I homeschool my other kids so this isn't a big deal. She just really is opposed to this idea and thinks she shouldn't have to do anything if school isn't in session.

"Vacations are a time for teachers to rest because they are working. But you are a student and education is a privilege and a right, and I won't take that away from you."

That's what I tell my kids. At eight, if they have daily homework, I'd save aftershooling for a couple hours on the weekend, and then summers and breaks are a big catch-up time. 

Prime Climb is a great way to integrate math study into after school!

Also, I out and out bribe my kids for screen time. You want screen time? You will do math, write, or memorize, or do your instrument or read in a foreign language. They are also opposed to this plan but I guess that's tough luck for them.

• Like 2

I don't do it so much now because ds10 is getting his needs met better at school but we used to snuggle in bed and talk about maths and set each other mental challenges. It became more difficult when the questions got too complicated to do mentally. It is hard to snuggle with a large whiteboard.

• Like 1

Well, if your goal is to accelerate math, 2nd grade is good place to begin because there is so little real HW.  Look at an on-line math program. We used EPGY (now Redbird)--very entertaining.  no more than 30 minutes at a time , 3  or  4 times a week. You will be surprised that an eager 2nd grader can complete 3rd and fourth grade math in less than a year.  By the end of 3rd grade, my kid was doing pre-alg, but it took a 1/ 1/2 years to complete.   The pay-off comes around 5-6th grade when school math becomes the time consuming HW.  With pre-alg already under his belt, school math was simply review, and he could concentrate on other areas.

• Like 1

The bolded attitude would just not be able to work at my house at all. We don't learn only in school. That's just a destructive mentality to take, and I find that a bigger problem than her wanting to do/not do math at home.

As for how we do it? My kids like math and are also math advanced, however I do not give my children the option of doing math work at home. Its not a negotiable thing in our family.

Now, you might need to go in and talk to your daughters school and/or teacher.

Can you guys...

• Tell the teacher that you're opting out of doing the 2nd grade math-homework and use that time instead on moms math homework?
  • have a 15 minute math session (on top of her normal HW) in the evenings? 1-on-1 math doesn't have to be super long, to be super effective.
  • Have math lesson before BM school when she's feeling more alert?
  • Set aside some time on the weekend to teach a new concept or three, then give her 1 or 2  practice problems each day during the week.
  • Like 1

Well, if your goal is to accelerate math, 2nd grade is good place to begin because there is so little real HW. Look at an on-line math program. We used EPGY (now

Redbird)--very entertaining. no more than 30 minutes at a time , 3 or 4 times a week. You will be surprised that an eager 2nd grader can complete 3rd and fourth grade math in less than a year. By the end of 3rd grade, my kid was doing pre-alg, but it took a 1/ 1/2 years to complete. The pay-off comes around 5-6th grade when school math becomes the time consuming HW. With pre-alg already under his belt, school math was simply review, and he could concentrate on other areas.

I guessed I could have put more info: she is new to public school. She was working about a 4th/5th grade level at home. I just don't want her to regress since she likes math. I haven't looked at Redbird. I'll check it out, thanks!

<p>

The bolded attitude would just not be able to work at my house at all. We don't learn only in school. That's just a destructive mentality to take, and I find that a bigger problem than her wanting to do/not do math at home.

As for how we do it? My kids like math and are also math advanced, however I do not give my children the option of doing math work at home. Its not a negotiable thing in our family.

Now, you might need to go in and talk to your daughters school and/or teacher.

Can you guys...

• Tell the teacher that you're opting out of doing the 2nd grade math-homework and use that time instead on moms math homework?
  • have a 15 minute math session (on top of her normal HW) in the evenings? 1-on-1 math doesn't have to be super long, to be super effective.
  • Have math lesson before BM school when she's feeling more alert?
  • Set aside some time on the weekend to teach a new concept or three, then give her 1 or 2 practice problems each day during the week.

Yeah, I'm working on the attitude. I wish I could tell the teacher we will do our own math homework! They grade homework starting in second. She had to do a page of subtraction last week. She was doing fraction conversions before we decided to try public school for the structure - whole other topic and I'm still on the fence about whether it's best. She just took the MAP at school so Hopeful we'll get the results soon and it can support my cause!

If she's too tired to do "school" after school, and has homework anyway (no matter how easy, still takes some time/energy), I'd go with games. My students are addicted to Prime Climb! It's fun for kids AND adults. There are a multitude of other math games, too. What about Dreambox on the iPad?

You could also do real-life math that requires harder work... like making a recipe and doubling/tripling/halving it... or building something.... or have her design her own game if she likes doing things like that :-)

Hopefully later on in her schooling they can give her more stimulating math... but even the fact that she's good at math and can breeze through is a real confidence builder for a 2nd grade girl :-)

• Like 1

Have you thought about possible ways to build up stamina?  I have to say that my kids were never "too tired" to do more work after coming home from school.  When they were in 2nd grade, I had a pile of mom work that I turned to when homework was done.  They also did a lot of physical extracurriculars after school, which probably helped rather than hurt the tolerance for after-schooling.

Another question.  You mention that you homeschool your other kids and your b&m schooled daughter doesn't think she should have to do mom work on top of school work.  Are you asking all the kids to do similar work with your daughter during afterschooling time?  Because if not, I could see why she doesn't think it's fair.  Maybe you could move something from your usual homeschooling time and have all your kids work together during afterschooling time.

How long is her school day?

I don't remember feeling this way after school. My son does. He is gone for 9 hours per day for school and comes home with 20-60 minutes of homework each night. He just turned 6 and is in kindergarten (but it is 2-3 years accelerated). I'd love to enrich his day when he gets home, but he really is done and I feel guilty even suggesting reading books because he's been immersed in that all day. (And we have one of the most literate households around.) He's exposed to a lot at home - we have a full learning lifestyle and very interesting table conversations; he plays lots of strategy games with Dad at night, etc - but his feeling of exhaustion is genuine and reasonable.

Emily

• Like 1

How long is her school day?

I don't remember feeling this way after school. My son does. He is gone for 9 hours per day for school and comes home with 20-60 minutes of homework each night. He just turned 6 and is in kindergarten (but it is 2-3 years accelerated). I'd love to enrich his day when he gets home, but he really is done and I feel guilty even suggesting reading books because he's been immersed in that all day. (And we have one of the most literate households around.) He's exposed to a lot at home - we have a full learning lifestyle and very interesting table conversations; he plays lots of strategy games with Dad at night, etc - but his feeling of exhaustion is genuine and reasonable.

Emily

She's gone for 7 hours a day. We live close to the school.

Have you thought about possible ways to build up stamina? I have to say that my kids were never "too tired" to do more work after coming home from school. When they were in 2nd grade, I had a pile of mom work that I turned to when homework was done. They also did a lot of physical extracurriculars after school, which probably helped rather than hurt the tolerance for after-schooling.

Another question. You mention that you homeschool your other kids and your b&m schooled daughter doesn't think she should have to do mom work on top of school work. Are you asking all the kids to do similar work with your daughter during afterschooling time? Because if not, I could see why she doesn't think it's fair. Maybe you could move something from your usual homeschooling time and have all your kids work together during afterschooling time.

That's a good idea! No, I haven't been trying to do something with them all. We don't usually work together since there are so many different levels, but I could make it more obvious that everyone has something to do. My older kids have instruments to practice.

I think she' not unreasonable about after school.  There is other stuff in a day and she's already allocating time to math even if it is too low level.  I've found this to be about the most serious trade-off with public school.

I would tend o try and do a little formally on non-school days and in summer.  Otherwise I'd go with games and such.

One possibility is bringing other math kids into the mix, if there is a group of some kind you can find.  What seems like boring work takes on a whole new shine when it's social and you can share it, and think of it as a fun hobby.