What's with the ads?

#1 AngelaG

AngelaG

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1595 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:11 AM

Grain free is great for my digestive woes, but I would like to move toward a more vegan grain free lifestyle.  Does anyone do this and if so how?  Also, do you have a plant based protein powder-non grain based that you would recommend?

Thanks.

#2 Jenny in Florida

Jenny in Florida

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10496 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:38 AM

Not grain free, but I did have to go gluten free almost a year ago after being vegan by choice for many years.

Truthfully? It's not easy.

I wind up spending a lot more time planning for how to eat than I really like. 

I haven't looked for a protein powder recently. We used to like Spirutein, but I'm pretty sure it does have grain (rice) powder.

#3 Bluegoat

Bluegoat

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13762 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:50 AM

Gosh, I'd be a lot more concerned about eating protein powder than more natural forms of food.  It's very highly processed.  

I would be very careful cutting out two whole major food groups.

• Word Nerd likes this

#4 soror

soror

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13008 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:06 AM

Re protein have you looked at pea protein? That could work if you're in the camp that allows peas, it is relatively cheap and higher than the nut and seed options, of those I would look into hemp seed protein.
  • Jenny in Florida, mamaraby and Sandwalker like this

#5 wintermom

wintermom

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:20 AM

Seriously, I think you'd have to graze on food all day long, like deer and cows. See you dr before you jump into this diet. 

Edited by wintermom, 15 January 2018 - 10:23 AM.

• Bluegoat likes this

#6 soror

soror

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13008 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:58 AM

I wanted to say too that although that diet wouldn't work for me I've seen blogs out there following similar diets, best wishes in figuring out what works for you.

• mamaraby and Sandwalker like this

#7 mamaraby

mamaraby

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3772 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:01 PM

I wanted to say too that although that diet wouldn't work for me I've seen blogs out there following similar diets, best wishes in figuring out what works for you.

Ditto. I have seen it referred to as paleo vegan. Lysine is the limiting factor. I would not go vegan sans legumes.

I’m afraid I don’t have any personal experience as I’m just plain vegan and grains are pretty central to what I eat on a daily basis.
  • soror likes this

#8 6wildhorses

6wildhorses

Developing Child

• Members
  • Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:36 PM

I have a lot of food allergies, so I'm vegan, gluten free, and soy free. It was tough at first, but it's so worth it because I feel so much better. For breakfast, I eat Bob's gluten free oatmeal with added walnuts. I change it up and include things like apples, raisins, or bananas. I cook cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves into it. Sometimes I make too much, so I put the leftovers in the fridge and they become my afternoon snack. Think of it as eating an oatmeal cookie. Lol

For lunch, I eat a salad with things like beans, kale, cilantro, tomatoes, avocado, chips, etc. For dinner, I eat things like quinoa or soup with lots of fresh veggies cooked into them. I also just cook veggies in some olive oil. I add lentils to salad/soup for protein. Sometimes I eat curry with lots of veggies and rice noodles. I've made a "burger" using a grilled portabello mushroom. Recently I boiled potatoes and ate them with veggies, seasonings, lentils, and coconut oil.

Sometimes I'll substitute items, so I can eat what my family eats. For instance, I can make a burrito with gluten free tortillas, beans, and fake cheese. The other night I made brown rice pasta. Bean pasta just basically turned to mush when I tried it. I use a lot of coconut oil and olive oil. I use olive oil as a dressing or to cook veggies. I put coconut oil and garlic on toast.

Daiya makes a frozen pizza I can eat, and Amy's and Carla Lee's makes some frozen items I can eat. I keep those on hand for times when I'm in a rut or don't want to cook for myself. Imagine and Pacific have some soups I like. For snacks, I eat things like banana chips, peanuts, gluten-free toast, celery and peanut butter, berries, and walnuts.

Other good sources of protein that can be eaten as snacks or added to meals include garbanzo beans, hummus, pumpkin seeds, hempseeds, peas, artichokes, chia seeds, broccoli, asparagus, almonds, and tahini. 

When I first started this diet, I used a protein powder by Garden of Life for times when I felt like I needed more protein. I think it was chocolate flavored. 

• AngelaG and Sandwalker like this

#9 lewber

lewber

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1061 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:45 PM

I do not follow that, but I love these granola bars that would fit the bill. The Chocolate coconut one is so good. 

https://papasteves.com/

#10 regentrude

regentrude

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27111 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 05:00 PM

I do not follow that, but I love these granola bars that would fit the bill. The Chocolate coconut one is so good. 

https://papasteves.com/

Careful, some of these contain rice. The OP stated "grain free".

#11 Rosie_0801

Rosie_0801

Beekeeping Professor

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29577 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:09 PM

Grain free vegan can be done if you eat a lot of beans, lentils, quinoa etc.

If grains are causing you trouble, it's more likely to be the quality than the grains themselves. Also, probiotics can help.

#12 Sandwalker

Sandwalker

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:11 PM

Grain free is great for my digestive woes, but I would like to move toward a more vegan grain free lifestyle. Does anyone do this and if so how? Also, do you have a plant based protein powder-non grain based that you would recommend?
Thanks.

All grains?

Eta: pea, hemp, or soy protein powders will fit the bill.

Edited by Sandwalker, 15 January 2018 - 07:19 PM.

#13 mommymonster

mommymonster

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1125 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:54 PM

I eat pretty similarly to your goal. 

Breakfast: a smoothie of fruits, spinach, and pea protein powder

Lunch: soup with beans and veggies

Dinner: salad (with seeds and nuts), vegan protein (tempeh, bean burger, or whatever), veggies, maybe quinoa or black rice if I'm starving

#14 Rosie_0801

Rosie_0801

Beekeeping Professor

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29577 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:08 PM

You can't drink miso soup instead of adding protein powder? Tastier and better quality.

#15 Sandwalker

Sandwalker

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:45 PM

You can't drink miso soup instead of adding protein powder? Tastier and better quality.

It's so salty though, in my experience. Lots of the protein powders are quite healthy.

#16 Rosie_0801

Rosie_0801

Beekeeping Professor

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29577 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:11 AM

It's so salty though, in my experience. Lots of the protein powders are quite healthy.

Home made miso soup isn't particularly salty, and it's a probiotic food so good for the gut flora and all that.

#17 HoppyTheToad

HoppyTheToad

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4586 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:44 AM

I am grain and dairy-free. I use Vega One Choclate protein powder. It uses peas and hemp.