Menu

Poll: Do you save your kids' baby teeth?

Kassia

Do you save your kids' baby teeth?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Do you save your kids' baby teeth?

I am trying to declutter (not doing very well) and found four bags of baby teeth from my four kids.  I am tempted to toss them, but DH is so sentimental and doesn't want to.

So, do you save or toss?  If you save, where do you put them?

This is my first poll - not sure if I did it right. 

My kids tend to save them but I toss them when I come across them because GROSS!

This from the woman whose favourite classes every were Human Osteology and the animal version of that Faunal Archaeology I and II.

Somehow I'm fine with bones from archaeological sites but my own children's remains - nope.

• Like 1

I do, and I really have no idea why. It could be because I was given a little tooth collector thingy that is pretty cute and I felt the need to fill the thing. The only teeth I find really worth saving, because they're interesting to look at, are the "Bionic" molars 2 of my boys had. They have steel caps. 

I have some in a cleaned out Carmex jar. Part of it is I just needed a good hiding place after playing the tooth fairy. I didn't have a good filing system so I have 4 different kids' teeth all mixed up.

Fun fact: Teeth split in half after falling out, very symmetrically. It's kinda neat but it makes me question why I have them.

No. I did for a while, because my mother had saved mine and my siblings'. When she died I came across little envelopes full of teeth,  unmarked, so no way of knowing who they belonged to. And, one adult tooth that had been pulled, I guess. That disgusted me and I threw them all out, and after that didn't keep my own kids' teeth.  I came to the conclusion that there was nothing for me to be sentimental about - everyone loses teeth, and they are all the same, nothing individual about them. 

• Like 1

"Baby teeth, like umbilical cords (though less controversial), contain stem cells that can cure diseases and grow replacement tissue and bones in the body. If collected and stored, they can potentially be used to treat diseases that arise when your child gets older or for close family members with serious illness." Jan 27, 2016

The Very Good Reason You Should Save Y...

• Like 1

I certainly don't save them because with only a couple of exceptions*, I believe my children's baby teeth are picked up by the Tooth Fairy in exchange for a dollar coin. Much speculation has gone into the question of what our local Tooth Fairy does with them once they are picked up, but I don't believe that mystery has been definitively solved.

* One child has a game of making it very difficult to pick up her teeth. I don't remember for sure, but I think the last 2-3 teeth were never picked up due to exasperation on the Tooth Fairy's part about the crazy things that would need to be done in order to retrieve the teeth. Luckily, it isn't my problem.  :coolgleamA:

• Like 4

Not anymore.  I did have some until recently.  Middle DS lost his first two or three teeth, like we never found them, just noticed they were gone.  All the teeth rest of their teeth got mixed together and I wasn't sure whose was whose.  Recently I went on a cleaning and purging binge and tossed them.  My mom kept ours for a number of years, but I don't think she has them anymore.

I have my younger two kids teeth in a plastic container but not my oldests.  I didn't plan to save them but my son didn't want to give his teeth to the tooth fairy, he wanted to keep them because "they are cool and I don't need the money".   :laugh:   So, we just started throwing them in this container each time.

A few years ago, he decided he wanted the money after all, stuck all of them under this pillow but didn't tell us.  I told him the tooth fairy only knows to come by the night you lost them, not years later.  It wasn't long after that he stopped believing.

• Like 3

I certainly don't save them because with only a couple of exceptions*, I believe my children's baby teeth are picked up by the Tooth Fairy in exchange for a dollar coin. Much speculation has gone into the question of what our local Tooth Fairy does with them once they are picked up, but I don't believe that mystery has been definitively solved.

* One child has a game of making it very difficult to pick up her teeth. I don't remember for sure, but I think the last 2-3 teeth were never picked up due to exasperation on the Tooth Fairy's part about the crazy things that would need to be done in order to retrieve the teeth. Luckily, it isn't my problem.  :coolgleamA:

Our tooth fairy was a sightseer, he'd come to admire the tooth, and leave a small, rather random contribution, such as you might leave when leaving the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  I guess he was the minimalist sort.

• Like 2

I confess that I've also saved a couple puppy teeth over the years. I tossed them in with the baby teeth. 

...and then you give them to the kids when they grow up. "Here's your baby teeth! You were one odd baby. We had to stop nursing early."

I didn't keep my kids' teeth. I do feel a bit guilty about it, but what in the world do you do with them other than hide them away in a drawer?

• Like 3

None of my kids have lost teeth, but I'd say I will. I saved their umbilical cord stump when it fell off.

Can I ask why??

Funny story, I was changing my 3rd child's diaper on the floor one extremely sleepy and pain killer filled morning shortly after he was born. His stump got snagged on his outfit and got pulled off as I undressed him. I didn't notice at first but as I undo his diaper I see some blood, not much. Just as I notice the missing stump I hear *crunch crunch* to the side of me. My dog got a delicious snack the morning.

• Like 2

I save them in individual, tiny ziploc bags.  I used to soak them to get rid of the blood and gums, but now I keep that on there.  I don't know why I save them, except for scientific fascination.  One of my ds's molars has a cavity in it, so that's interesting.  I have no sentimental attachment to them at all, but we did pull them out and compare and study them a little when we were studying human anatomy in our homeschool.  They may be useful for DNA analysis someday, or maybe stem cell purposes?  I really have no idea if or why anyone would want them in the future, but they don't take up much space, and I don't give them much thought, except when I'm adding more to the bag.

• Like 1

I’d save them.

I’m sentimental, but I also think my ds might want them some day — especially when he has kids of his own.

My mother saved them. A neat envelope for each tooth with the date neatly printed on that said tooth was lost... but no information about which kid lost it. I have no desire to get them from her.

We don't have the tooth fairy. We have "Dad's tooth collection" -- The kids relinguish the tooth to Dad for $1. The tooth ends up in the round bin.

I feel vaguely guilty about this but we'd never be able to find it anyway.

Edited by vonfirmath

I don't.

My grandfather died a few months ago, and when they were cleaning out his place, they found a bag of teeth in his drawer.  He must have brought them with him when he moved out of his home after my Nana died.

It was kind of touching, but they did church them - what else are you going to do with all those baby teeth?

If you do dispose of them they are considered a health hazard and need to be disposed of as medical waste. At least that's what the dentist told us. She pulled most of my kid's teeth and said the state wouldn't allow her to give them to the children for that reason. 

Huh.  They give them to kids here.

In fact when I had my tubes tied, they gave me those.  I didn't bring them home with me, but I guess I could have.

I don't.

My grandfather died a few months ago, and when they were cleaning out his place, they found a bag of teeth in his drawer. He must have brought them with him when he moved out of his home after my Nana died.

It was kind of touching, but they did church them - what else are you going to do with all those baby teeth?

They churched them? What is that, like a religious ceremony of tooth disposal? ðŸ˜

• Like 3