Menu

ER is now on Hulu

LarlaB

I'm embarrassingly giddy to report that ER is now on Hulu- all 15 seasons!  I know there are a few fans here, as this was discussed in previous threads....so I rushed right over to let you know. :) 

Blast this ridiculous digital world of adding & removing shows with no rhyme, reason or warning. In this case, it worked to my favor. 

• Like 6

If you don't have teen girls, you may not know that Grey's Anatomy is their ER.  Seriously, you'd think this generation invented the hospital drama.  I keep telling my 17 yo that, before there was Grey's, there was ER, and I reel off the list of current stars who started out on ER.  She looks at me blankly and with zero interest.  I try to describe the scene with Dr. Greene (Green?) went to Hawaii and am met with--more blank stares.  I should subscribe to Hulu and make her watch with me.  

• Like 1

If you don't have teen girls, you may not know that Grey's Anatomy is their ER.  Seriously, you'd think this generation invented the hospital drama.  I keep telling my 17 yo that, before there was Grey's, there was ER, and I reel off the list of current stars who started out on ER.  She looks at me blankly and with zero interest.  I try to describe the scene with Dr. Greene (Green?) went to Hawaii and am met with--more blank stares.  I should subscribe to Hulu and make her watch with me.  

dd & I have watched both together, though eventually I bailed on Grey's for a bit & she's kept watching it on & off... But we watched ER together as part of a mom/daughter time (on dvd so we could watch 2-4 episodes at a time) every week for years.  

• Like 1

If you don't have teen girls, you may not know that Grey's Anatomy is their ER. Seriously, you'd think this generation invented the hospital drama. I keep telling my 17 yo that, before there was Grey's, there was ER, and I reel off the list of current stars who started out on ER. She looks at me blankly and with zero interest. I try to describe the scene with Dr. Greene (Green?) went to Hawaii and am met with--more blank stares. I should subscribe to Hulu and make her watch with me.

Yes, dd loves Grey’s. But let me tell you, ER is a much higher quality show. Grey’s is a repetitive soap opera.

• Like 5

I try to describe the scene with Dr. Greene (Green?) went to Hawaii and am met with--more blank stares......

I YouTube this scene every once in while. That version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" touched me then and even comes back to haunt me in different ways now (most recently when my husband and I took our almost-a-nun daughter our for lunch for her high school graduation celebration; she didn't want an actual graduation event or party, so the three of us did lunch). The music playing over the speakers at the restaurant was annoyingly unfitting, but at the very moment her dad started saying some of our "official" words of graduation, that song came on -- I literally burst into tears. ER provided so many surreal shocking-horrifying-satisfying moments for me -- including the one with Dr. Greene, but also things like the way one season ended with the attack on Carter and Lucy (still SO vivid, the shock, to me), both incidents with Dr. Romano involving a helicopter (ack!! and ACK! ACK!), and how Dr. Pratt survived the ambulance explosion but was being treated in the ER, and the look on his face when he realized what was happening to him. 

Ugh.  I never even thought about ER coming out as a series on Netflix or some such service. Like one of the posters said above, when I start to watch a series that I like, I realllly binge watch and am lost to all for a time. 

By the way, you do remember that George Clooney was in a hospital-based show before ER?  It was called ..... E/R. It also starred Elliott Gould, Conchata Farrell, Mary McDonnell and Jason Alexander. 

Edited by milovany
  • Like 5

I YouTube this scene every once in while. That version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" touched me then and even comes back to haunt me in different ways now (most recently when my husband and I took our almost-a-nun daughter our for lunch for her high school graduation celebration; she didn't want an actual graduation event or party, so the three of us did lunch). The music playing over the speakers at the restaurant was annoyingly unfitting, but at the very moment her dad started saying some of our "official" words of graduation, that song came on -- I literally burst into tears. ER provided so many surreal shocking-horrifying-satisfying moments for me -- including the one with Dr. Greene, but also things like the way the episode (season?) ended with the attack on Carter and Lucy (still SO vivid, the shock, to me), the incident with Dr. Romano and the helicopter (ACK!!), and how Dr. Pratt survived the ambulance explosion but was being treated in the ER, and the look on his face when he realized what was happening to him. 

Ugh.  I never even thought about ER coming out as a series on Netflix or some such service. Like one of the posters said above, when I start to watch a series that I like, I realllly binge watch and am lost to all for a time. 

By the way, you do remember that George Clooney was in a hospital-based show before ER?  It was called ..... E/R. It also starred Elliott Gould, Conchata Farrell, Mary McDonnell and Jason Alexander. 

Or or or--the scene where they're treating the guy who fell/jumped onto the train tracks, and they page the intern, and--ugh!

And I did not know that about George Clooney, and I refuse to believe it, as our generation invented the hospital drama.  Nothing came before ER.

• Like 2

Or or or--the scene where they're treating the guy who fell/jumped onto the train tracks, and they page the intern, and--ugh!

And I did not know that about George Clooney, and I refuse to believe it, as our generation invented the hospital drama.  Nothing came before ER.

See I didn't start watching ER until Clooney and Margulies were gone (or almost gone) so I think I missed that episode but I just read about it after I happy-googled "most memorable ER episodes." I just signed on to Hulu so I could watch it.  Sigh. 

As for hospital shows before ER .... in addition to E/R (which I did actually watch during its run), in my young-girl life, there was also Emergency! and well, of course, General Hospital (lol!).

• Like 2

See I didn't start watching ER until Clooney and Margulies were gone (or almost gone) so I think I missed that episode but I just read about it after I happy-googled "most memorable ER episodes." I just signed on to Hulu so I could watch it.  Sigh. 

As for hospital shows before ER .... in addition to E/R (which I did actually watch during its run), in my young-girl life, there was also Emergency! and well, of course, General Hospital (lol!).

If you get the chance to see Emergency as a lark it's hilarious now. We watched the first 3 or 4 episodes of the show  and I nearly died laughing. It's so so so so slow and there's an entire chunk of time dedicated to a political issue and everyone wandering around explaining in detail some state legislature act that they need in order for there to be medically trained personnel in the fire department...

It really was something but even I eventually had to stop watching it... 

Have you ever seen the ER pilot? If you haven't, watch it, don't read the description.  You'll like it. 

I’m rewatching ER from the beginning. (Dubbed in French, so not on Hulu...) I’m having so much fun. Major nineties nostalgia! Don’t resist, dive in!

Yeah, I just saw that it was on Hulu today and have been watching it.  Wow, nineties.  The clothing, the hair.  They're. . . something.

(And sheesh, all of the doctors look so young!  It's bad enough that my real doctors are my age.  The doctors on ER are younger than I am!  I was a senior in high school when the show started.  Clooney and Edwards were in their early 30s and probably playing doctors a couple of years younger than that on the show, if they're second or third year residents.  They're actually closer to my daughter's age than mine.)

• Like 1

I watched the last episode today on iPop. They show three episodes daily, so I don’t know if they are going to start over at the beginning again or if they will stop showing them. I have them on dvd though. That was my gift to myself when ds went away to college.

I watched the last episode today on iPop. They show three episodes daily, so I don’t know if they are going to start over at the beginning again or if they will stop showing them. I have them on dvd though. That was my gift to myself when ds went away to college.

Season 1 started on Pop last week.  That's when I started watching it via Hulu Live before I knew the full 15 seasons were coming out on regular Hulu.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Bringing this thread back to life to say that I watched the ER highlights, rather than plow thru all 15 seasons.

Hulu recommends pivotal episodes, & I used Wikipedia to target the specific turning-point episodes.

I highly recommend re-living it.  At least the Pilot! 

We got Hulu Live during the Olympics & enjoyed the extras like ER.  :)

• Like 1

Okay, I had to bump this to say: when viewed retrospectively, oh, man, the foreshadowing is so strong. Knowing what happened to many of the characters, some of the things they say in their earlier seasons makes me wince. I wonder how far out they planned a character's exit.

I’m in season three, and watching Carla give Benton such a hard time during her pregnancy is so aggravating, knowing what happens. Otherwise, it’s been kind of fun knowing more than the characters do.

• Like 1

You know what surprised me when I watched the first seasons (until Anthony Edwards left the show) at this thread's borning?   I had it in my mind that Carter and Lucy had a relationship, something more going on than that one-time makeout session in the treatment room.  I thought they were a couple when she left the show.  Shocker!  I kept waiting and waiting for their relationship to develop, and then boom, she was gone. 

Edited by milovany