What's with the ads?

#51 hjffkj

hjffkj

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6662 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:27 PM

Well the van wouldn't start this evening without a jump. Taking it in for new battery. Since we're there we'll get oil changed and brake work done as well.

Blah! It is all budgeted for but I always hate car expenses the most
  • Annie G and beckyjo like this

#52 Annie G

Annie G

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:36 PM

Well the van wouldn't start this evening without a jump. Taking it in for new battery. Since we're there we'll get oil changed and brake work done as well.

Blah! It is all budgeted for but I always hate car expenses the most

Aren't car repairs the worst? It's not even fun to look at like a new pair of shoes are!

• beckyjo likes this

#53 hjffkj

hjffkj

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6662 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:44 PM

Aren't car repairs the worst? It's not even fun to look at like a new pair of shoes are!

Haha true

#54 myblessings4

myblessings4

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7512 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:56 PM

Spent.too.much.money!!

After lunch:

$106 dentist. (At least that child's deductible is paid)
$144 Sam's for vitamins, vit b energy powder, cat litter, etc.
$42 aldi, all groceries
$21 chickfila for all 4 of us
$123 walmart order to pick up tomorrow
$44 Amazon for more vitamins and an infuser water bottle for me

Hate, hate, hate spending like this! But it's mostly needed and planned.

Edited by myblessings4, 18 January 2018 - 09:25 PM.

• HomeAgain likes this

#55 Raifta

Raifta

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:08 PM

Would he choose to forgo those activities if they came out of his personal money? If so, then I'd just keep it coming out of household funds. Remaining fit and active is vital and should be supported by the family.

I'd go as far to say that you memberships should also come from family funds. Now if this causes a financial strain in regards to accomplishing other financial goals then you simply redo the budget and personal funds would likely need to decrease.

I think he'd probably skip the one half marathon in the fall but would likely stay in one 'extra' volleyball league.  Not sure, though. It's something we've discussed briefly and I think will come up again next fall when the payments come due for all the fall/winter volleyball leagues.

So the total amount you're spending on gyms/volleyball/marathons is about $2300 according to the above, right? That's about $190 a month.  First question is: is he aware of how much this category is costing every year? Are you both ok with the total cost? Assuming you are, then move on to the second question: does he realize you're paying for yours out of your personal allowance?  What does he think about that?

Are there other expenses associated with this category? Shoes, workout clothes, eating out after volleyball?  How are those expenses being covered? Are they significant? Does it change how you feel about the overall cost of the category?

All of this is just noise from someone who scrutinizes expenses, though.  If he's skipping volleyball but paying for it, then paying out of his personal allowance might encourage some responsibility.  

But I'm betting he's going to balk at paying out of his allowance and is just going to tell you to pay yours out of the general budget. Which doesn't totally solve the problem because if you do pay it out of the general fund, and then spend your allowance on other things, your annual budget just increased by $900. 

I sympathize with you. 

He probably has no idea the total cost and would likely be horrified if he did.  I should probably let him know that.

We don't have that many extra expenses associated with these things.  We're both pretty much set for workout clothes, we're probably due new shoes in the next year or two but we don't buy them that often so I can handle the extra $100 once or twice a year.  We never eat out after our games because we are way too old be out that late to begin with, never mind going out after the game!  So I'm not that concerned with those extras.

I think we'll just keep having open communication about it and I will let him know the total and see what he says.  We are both trying to work towards healthier lifestyles so I don't want to discourage that and we are also trying to keep other expenses down so if we can successfully do that for the next year, this might be less of an issue.

That's why these threads are needed!  They keep me accountable and make me spend less overall.

Thanks for your thoughts.

• Annie G and OneStepAtATime like this

#56 Annie G

Annie G

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:18 PM

Raifta, it's always tough when spending that is technically discretionary is really important. I agree about spending money to keep in shape. In the long run it's money well spent.

I'm super impressed with your low 'other' spending related to fitness. I'm still wearing the original Athleta yoga pants I bought four years ago with no need to buy a new pair anytime soon. I wear those four or five days a week when I hit the gym. Most everyone else there has a bajillion Lularoe leggings and Nike shirts. And tons of shoes. Oh, the shoes!  So it's great to know I'm not the only one not buying new workout gear every month. 

#57 ManagerMom

ManagerMom

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2558 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:48 AM

1/15/18  $73 on fish tank supplies that weren't needed

1/16/18  $70 fish tank suppiles

1/17/18  $0 (back on track)

1/18/18  $0

1/19/18  $35 fish tank and Amazon (mug covers for dd)

Total spent in January on unnecessary items by me   $219

#58 maize

maize

Maizgyver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19906 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:07 AM

Haven't spent anything since groceries on Monday.

I'm shopping for shoes for dh. We started taking an Irish dance hardshoe (percussive like tap) class in December. He doesn't have shoes yet, has just been wearing his street shoes. I've been watching eBay etc. for deals but Irish shoes in his size don't come up often (unless you want to pay upwards of $80).

I did notice one fellow in class this week was wearing regular tap shoes, so I'm investigating that route (more options available).

Edited by maize, 19 January 2018 - 10:07 AM.

#59 beckyjo

beckyjo

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1794 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:08 AM

Day 15: McD's fries

Day 16: Tolls

Day 17: Braces payments, Gas

Day 18: Gift from Amazon to be stashed away for DD's birthday (covered by gift card though)

Day 19: Oil change & Groceries are my planned spends today. I'm really, really wanting to go out to eat lately. Like I fought myself for a good half hour before I threw in a frozen pizza. But, I'm fighting it, so there's that. 

• Annie G and maize like this

#60 maize

maize

Maizgyver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19906 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:19 AM

Re: dance shoes I'm actually torn between going for whatever I can get cheaply and investing in good quality shoes because, while dh is likely to only get light use out of them, ds12 also dances and his feet are growing rapidly.
  • mama25angels likes this

#61 hjffkj

hjffkj

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6662 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:44 AM

$1500 of car work was the estimate. Brakes and battery we expected. A new alternator we did not. They couldn't get the work done until Monday so we're getting a second opinion

#62 OneStepAtATime

OneStepAtATime

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33320 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:50 AM

Sending positive thoughts to everyone.  I have remained carefully in budget all week.

DH?  not so much...   :glare:

• mama25angels, beckyjo and maize like this

#63 mama25angels

mama25angels

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4581 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:12 PM

$9 car inspection
$31.60 soccer cleats and shin guards

Planned expenses, lucky enough to find the shoes on clearance. Need to do grocery order.

Edited by mama25angels, 19 January 2018 - 12:13 PM.

#64 mama25angels

mama25angels

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4581 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:15 PM

$1500 of car work was the estimate. Brakes and battery we expected. A new alternator we did not. They couldn't get the work done until Monday so we're getting a second opinion

I cannot like this post, I don't blame you for getting a second opinion, praying the estimate is lower.
  • beckyjo likes this

#65 Moonhawk

Moonhawk

In need of sleep, or chocolate.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:50 PM

So far so good this week. Did get pulled over last night for a broken headlight, but the sheriff let me go and just directed me to the AutoZone about 200 yards away. So, $12.96 unexpected expense, but necessary, so not too bad! No other "unnecessary" so far.

But, this week has more "known" expenses and that makes me feel slightly ill, lol. Mortgage, car registration, HOA, and a few other doozies. Baptism is on Saturday, I have to either make or buy a cake for that. And, do you give presents to godparents?? I never did before but think that it might be called for this time. $15 Starbucks gift card sounds not enough, but...

#66 Raifta

Raifta

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 02:35 PM

I'm super impressed with your low 'other' spending related to fitness. I'm still wearing the original Athleta yoga pants I bought four years ago with no need to buy a new pair anytime soon. I wear those four or five days a week when I hit the gym. Most everyone else there has a bajillion Lularoe leggings and Nike shirts. And tons of shoes. Oh, the shoes!  So it's great to know I'm not the only one not buying new workout gear every month. 

Ha ha!  I know - I'm still mostly wearing stuff I bought when the kids were babies and they are 10 and 12 now.  I did have to buy a few new pairs of shorts because I grew and the shorts did not, but I got those at the thrift store for super cheap.

And I feel like we have lots of shoes, but that's because pre-kids I had shoes for indoor running, shoes for outdoor running, shoes for aerobics and shoes for volleyball.  Over the last 12 years I've replaced each of those once but kept the older shoes and now I have 8 pairs of runners (2 are at the cottage, 6 at the house).  It looks awful but has not been that pricey.  So I probably by a new pair of shoes every 2-3 years in whatever category has gotten the most usage - next time around I'll have to ditch some of the older shoes from the house though!

1/18 - $52 on bus tickets.

1/19 - nothing

It's DD's birthday party this weekend.  We got her gift in the fall so that's taken care of but I do need to provide food (dinner, snacks, breakfast, cake) for a bunch of kids and since she is having an Iron Chef party, we might need a few ingredients to allow for creative cooking on behalf of the guests.  But most of that will be easily part of the grocery budget for this month as we are way under so far for groceries!

I had a moment of panic when I thought about what meat we had left in the meat box in the freezer and thought I'd have to go to Costco for meat soon.  Costco is always dangerous - in December I went in for 3 items and came out with a cart costing over $600.  But then I sat down and actually made a list of all the protein sources we had in various places and was pleasantly surprised and figure I can put off a trip to Costco for at least another week!  Just have to complete my meal plan for next week based on what we already have in the house.

• Annie G likes this

#67 hjffkj

hjffkj

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6662 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:47 PM

Always get a second opinion!!!! Our second opinion saved me at least $700 of work discovering that the alternator is fine and the battery simply needs to be charged. I'm so disappointed in the first place because they've always been so honest with us and my dad has been going there for decades. Must warn him.

The total savings is unknown though because our mechanic friend who checked the alternator is going to do the brake work under the table tomorrow
  • mama25angels, myblessings4 and mommyoffive like this

#68 Annie G

Annie G

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 06:01 PM

1/19 day trip started with breakfast out. Dh really wanted to do this and I obliged. He's had a rough couple of weeks at work and wanted a fun day out with me so I opted to splurge. $14 breakfast and tip for two.  We packed a lunch so no additional cost there. 

On the way home I bought a cake box for a cake I'm making for someone next weekend. $1.19 using a Hobby Lobby coupon.  But I'll get paid for the cake so it's a necessary cost. 

#69 myblessings4

myblessings4

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7512 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 06:15 PM

1/19 day trip started with breakfast out. Dh really wanted to do this and I obliged. He's had a rough couple of weeks at work and wanted a fun day out with me so I opted to splurge. $14 breakfast and tip for two. We packed a lunch so no additional cost there.
On the way home I bought a cake box for a cake I'm making for someone next weekend. $1.19 using a Hobby Lobby coupon. But I'll get paid for the cake so it's a necessary cost.

Did y'all have a good day out?

I spent $37 at vitamin shoppe, for elderberry syrup and some chewable cold and flu tablets, for ds10 and dh.
  • Annie G and mama25angels like this

#70 Annie G

Annie G

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 06:59 PM

Did y'all have a good day out?

I spent $37 at vitamin shoppe, for elderberry syrup and some chewable cold and flu tablets, for ds10 and dh.

We did! It was a beautiful day, too! I think it might have hit 40, which felt glorious. But of course it was windy, as usual, in Chicago.  But I'll take breezy and 37 degrees over calm and -10!

Thanks for asking!

• myblessings4 likes this

#71 Baseball mom

Baseball mom

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2254 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:10 PM

Been home all week and spending was good $0.  :thumbup:

Left house today. Spending not so good  :thumbdown:

Day 19 - $77

Grocery - $62

Store - $15 -- cough drops, item ds needed, shampoo (thought bought shampoo last trip but it was conditioner)

Store would have been higher but....  For Christmas I received something very pretty I would never use.  I took it back today with the intention of buying something I want & need.  

While at the store looking I remembered I needed a gift for a family friend (birthday party).  I didn't have any extra money so I used the money from the returned gift.

• ManagerMom likes this

#72 ksr5377

ksr5377

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1114 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:40 PM

I have been wanting to run a few errands here and there all week but managed to not leave the house, other than normal kid activity running.  I am going to do them all tomorrow, saving gas, time and money.  We didn't have anything unexpected this week so all spending was planned - basically just bills and groceries.  I did get the bill from the dentist, $98, which I had forgotten about but wasn't a surprise.  I'll pay it next week when I take the youngest two kids for their appointment.  

• Annie G and myblessings4 like this

#73 maize

maize

Maizgyver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19906 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:20 PM

Bought the shoes for dh, went with inexpensive tap shoes from Amazon.

Bought a streaming video for the sick and grouchy kiddos at my house.
  • myblessings4 likes this

#74 TKDmom

TKDmom

Kicks Like a Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3897 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 08:44 AM

Thursday, I finally went grocery shopping. I managed to get nearly a week’s with of groceries for $80. Then, while I was out... I went to Michaels to get some yarn ($11) and PetSmart to get some Guinea Pig treats ($17)

Yesterday, dh had the day off work. He’s not so content to stay at home doing little projects and reading. So we went out for lunch at a cute little cafe in a neighboring town ($40). He’s been doing great taking lunch into work instead of buying, so our little splurge is still less than he’d normally spend on eating out at this point on the month.
  • Annie G, ManagerMom, myblessings4 and 1 other like this

#75 myblessings4

myblessings4

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7512 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 09:47 AM

I expect to spend a little on a slushie for ds10 today. He's sick and I'm trying to push fluids.

#76 soror

soror

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12980 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 09:56 AM

I spent entirely too much on groceries Thurs night, but *mostly* things to stock up with few splurges thrown in. Aldi's had GT Kombucha, I hadn't had one in AGES. I also needed some snacks for dh's camping trip and ds' sleepover.

Yesterday I took the kids to lasertag (that had already been paid for in Dec) and I let them spend about $7.50 (to split between them) on drinks and snacks. I so rarely say yes they were floored when I kept letting them get things, I had set aside $10 but they only spent the $7.50. I spent $40 on some upcoming hs activities not strictly a need but I'm not going to feel guilt over that the kids need time with others and I'm planning stuff trying to keep it is economical as I can.

• Annie G, mama25angels and myblessings4 like this

#77 mama25angels

mama25angels

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4581 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 11:57 AM

Grocery and prescriptions today both planned and I stuck to my list!
  • maize likes this

#78 alisoncooks

alisoncooks

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5594 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 12:18 PM

I've been following this thread but haven't joined in yet. :p

DH & I are on a strict budget for the foreseeable future (after maxing our credit cards around Christmas and having a few scary moments of "How the *&#@* are we going to pay our bills!")  FWIW, the credit card issue -- we put a bunch of meds on there when DH first started chemo a few years ago and it just finally caught up with us... 

Anyways... wanted to share a small victory!  We maybe under-budgeted/overspent for groceries this month, and we have two weeks left and only $214 remaining to spend.  (I usually spend $120-140 a week.)  Well, DH wanted to move some money around but I was all like "Challenge Accepted!"  So I did my grocery shopping (online) and BAM - grand total of $105 and change for this week.  Score! :D :D

• ManagerMom, myblessings4, mommyoffive and 2 others like this

#79 myblessings4

myblessings4

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7512 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 04:13 PM

I spent about $20. Got ds10 slushie, my pork skins (my low carb "chips"), and finished getting stuff for the bathroom, to match the new shower curtain (total $7).

Edited by myblessings4, 20 January 2018 - 04:22 PM.

#80 flyingaway

flyingaway

• Members
  • Pip
  • 270 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 05:26 PM

Chunky Chunky Hippo ice cream entered our house today to celebrate Fiona the hippos first birthday. I'm such a no-spend month rebel. I did manage to say no to the Fiona flower bouquet.

I also have to go back to Michaels because my crochet project has expanded and I want to get the matching yarn while it's still on sale.
  • Annie G and myblessings4 like this

#81 hjffkj

hjffkj

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6662 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 06:46 PM

$0 spent today

#82 beckyjo

beckyjo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1794 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 06:55 PM

Day 18: Gift from Amazon to be stashed away for DD's birthday (covered by gift card though)

Day 19: Groceries, Oil Change & Gas (DH left me his car to get the oil changed, and it was running on fumes!)

Day 20: Kids had a robotics competition today. We packed snacks, but picked up pizza on the way home. $18

#83 ManagerMom

ManagerMom

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2558 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 09:39 PM

1/18/18  $0

1/20/18  $0

#84 Baseball mom

Baseball mom

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2254 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 01:44 PM

Day 20 - $0

Went to friends house for the party. Everyone brought food (brought food I had on hand). We had good time and no money spent.
  • Annie G likes this

#85 beckyjo

beckyjo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1794 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 01:50 PM

Day 19: Groceries, Oil Change & Gas

Day 20: Pizza

Day 21: DH ran through McD's on his way home from church. I'm not sure why I caved, but I did.

#86 myblessings4

myblessings4

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7512 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 02:13 PM

New thread for tomorrow.

http://forums.welltr...uary-22nd-28th/
  • beckyjo likes this

#87 ManagerMom

ManagerMom

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2558 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 07:55 PM

1/18/18  $0

1/20/18  $0

1/21/18  $0

#88 TKDmom

TKDmom

Kicks Like a Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3897 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:05 PM

Apparently my self control went out the window this weekend. Amazon is sending me a few shipments for a total of $50. My Amazon app hasn't worked right since Thanksgiving, but I rediscovered the website on my computer yesterday.  :laugh:

#89 Baseball mom

Baseball mom

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2254 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:41 PM

Day 21 - $0

#90 maize

maize

Maizgyver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19906 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:16 PM

Do we have a new thread yet? I can't find one.

#91 BarbecueMom

BarbecueMom

Bad Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:20 PM

Do we have a new thread yet? I can't find one.

I had a hard time finding it too.  Weird.

• maize likes this

#92 maize

maize

Maizgyver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19906 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:29 PM

I had a hard time finding it too. Weird.

Thanks!