Menu

New to cooking Italian chicken recipes: scaloppini, piccata, veneto, marsala, cacciatore

IfIOnly

I cook a lot of Asian, home-style (BBQ, roast, soup), and some Mexican chicken dishes but would like to branch out. Chicken parm is the only Italian dish I remember trying.  It's  great but also has dairy, and we're dairy free.

Not sure what Italian dish to try first, since they all sound great. Any recommendations or tips? Recipes appreciated!  I'm picking up some white wine and capers from TJ's tomorrow. Another question I have is are these dishes usually served with pasta? I'm seeing rice recommended as a side, which surprises me.  I don't know much about Italian cooking though.

TY!

Edited: I will need to pick up a meat mallet too since most of the dishes call for flattening the chicken.

Edited by IfIOnly

Chicken piccata is a favorite here. :)  We serve it with linguine or fettuccine noodles, but I wouldn't be opposed to a nice risotto, either.  The benefit of the noodles is that the sauce sinks down into them and it makes a really yummy dish.

Thank you! Sound really good. Was just looking at a recipe, and it calls for just white wine vinegar and not wine, which will make the dish less expensive. That's a bonus. I know I can get GF spaghetti here but now have a reason to try and track down linguine and fettuccine too. 

You can put chicken in a baggie and hit it with the side of a rolling pin to flatten it, too. Or use the side of a can. Rice is more Northern Italian, pasta southern.

Good to know about the flattening alternative and very interesting about the rice vs pasta is regional. Thank you!

Italian cooking is much more regional than American food. This has to do with what is available locally, culture, identity, etc. A little info:

http://www.made-in-italy.com/italian-food/regions

http://www.delish.com/cooking/a1206/regional-italian-food/

For authentic recipes and more, I like Marcella Bazan’s Essentials of Italian Cooking and also La Cucina Italiana magazine. You might be able to find some of the recipes/information online.

Edited by MBM
  • Like 2

Italian cooking is much more regional than American food. This has to do with what is available locally, culture, identity, etc. A little info:

http://www.made-in-italy.com/italian-food/regions

http://www.delish.com/cooking/a1206/regional-italian-food/

For authentic recipes and more, I like Marcella Bazan’s Essentials of Italian Cooking and also La Cucina Italiana magazine. You might be able to find some of the recipes/information online.

I second Essentials of Italian Cooking. Wonderful book! â¤ï¸

• Like 1

I make Chicken Marsala pretty often. (I am also dairy free.) I serve it with spaghetti.

Season bonelss chicken breasts and pound thin. (i put them in a ziplock and beat them with a mallet.) dredge them in egg, then flour. I cook them in a skillet about five minutes or so each side, then remove to a plate. Add some fresh olive oil. Saute

Chopped onions, mushrooms and a generous amount of garlic. Once soft, add in about 1 1/2 cups Marsala wine to 1/2 cup chicken broth. Deglaze the pan and reduce a bit. I usually grow impatient and combine a little flour to thicken the sauce. Add back in the chicken and call everyone to dinner.

Yummy!

• Like 2