Menu

language arts - CLE vs First Language Lessons/The Complete Writer

MomN

Can you give me an idea of how these two programs compare - CLE vs First Language Lessons/The Complete Writer? Also, is it best to wait til first grade for these?

What are your thoughts on phonic programs?

Thank you!!!

Edited by l4spencer4

I've used both CLE LA and First Language Lessons and for kindergarten, I'd pass on both. I tried CLE LA for 1st grade and it was a miss -- it was too tied into their phonics program and there was just too much writing. FLL filled the gap nicely for 1st grade. We also used Writing with Ease for 1st grade and that also went well. I do love CLE LA starting in 2nd grade for ease of use so we have switched back to it. 

I've used both CLE LA and First Language Lessons and for kindergarten, I'd pass on both. I tried CLE LA for 1st grade and it was a miss -- it was too tied into their phonics program and there was just too much writing. FLL filled the gap nicely for 1st grade. We also used Writing with Ease for 1st grade and that also went well. I do love CLE LA starting in 2nd grade for ease of use so we have switched back to it. 

Is it safe to say then that CLE's LA beginning in the 200 level is no longer as heavily tied to their phonics program? If you used something else for phonics, could you then transition with some ease into CLE's second grade LA?

Yes, there are still some phonics in the 2nd grade level but it's not a major portion of the program. After using All About Reading and The Ordinary Parents' Guide to Teaching Reading as well as a year of First Language Lessons last year, CLE LA 2 is fairly easy but ramps up quickly. 

Edited by insertcreativenamehere

I have second graders and we've used both. We used FLL last year and while I liked it my girls just weren't retaining as much as I wanted. We switched to CLE a few months into this school year and it's been a lot better fit for us. My girls want/need workbooks to help retain and remember the information. I do cross out much of the penmanship (we are secular and much of their penmanship work is not) and the spelling as we already use Spelling You See. But overall I like it. I don't *love* either program but prefer CLE to FLL. With that being said, I'm researching our options for next year (3rd grade).