#1 happysmileylady

happysmileylady

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4309 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:23 PM

*sigh*

My girls each have an easy bake.  They each got refills for Christmas from family, and between that and birthdays and what people got them when they got the ovens, they have a billion of these to go through.

Because our house is small, when we cleaned up after finalizing FIL's estate and the...things...in it, the easy bakes got set up in an out of the way closet.  We pulled them out tonight to start using up some refills

(this is where I say, my girls help me brown ground beef, stretch pizza dough on a pan, cook grilled cheese, make pasta etc.)

So I plug them in to preheat.  We have 2 ovens so I hunt down a christmas extension cord to plug both in at the same time.  Set the timer then get set up for both to mix and such.  Timer goes off, we mix, shape etc.  Get them in the over, neither pays attention to the directions both pans get stuck.

This is when I realize....neither oven is hot.  I look over, someone pulled the cords out of the wall.  Got stepped on, fell out, got ran over by a 5yr old boy, etc etc...whatever.

Plug it in, set the timer again.  Go check on it halfway through, the ovens are STILL not hot.  huh?  I can't figure this out.  Maybe the bulbs are burnt out from going unused.  Do they even still use bulbs.

The cord we had is one that has a step button to switch Christmas lights on and off.  Yep, it was switched off.

So now, an hour and a half after we started, we are still waiting on easy bake oven cookies to bake.

*sigh*  Actual baking is easier. 

• Ellie, trulycrabby and Tanaqui like this

#2 Farrar

Farrar

Expert Cat Herder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22688 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:15 AM

You have to be sure you use one of those old bulbs I think.

I agree that they're evil. All thinking people would agree.

• kitten18 likes this

#3 secretgarden

secretgarden

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:45 AM

While appreciating your story from an adult perspective and having copious amounts of sympathy for you (and, especially your girls), I must admit an unfulfilled childhood desire for an easy bake oven.  I think it from that longing that all my adult troubles commence...

• Sassenach, Kim in Appalachia, Laura in CA and 14 others like this

#4 Carrie12345

Carrie12345

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11923 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:13 AM

While appreciating your story from an adult perspective and having copious amounts of sympathy for you (and, especially your girls), I must admit an unfulfilled childhood desire for an easy bake oven.  I think it from that longing that all my adult troubles commence...

:lol:

I had an Easy Bake Oven growing up, and it was mostly used to eat raw batter.  After the first time or two, the light bulb lost its glow in our hearts.  Real baking was so much more rewarding!

My kids have one or two sitting in the shed. (Along with a cotton candy maker, ice cream cake maker, snow cone maker, and who even knows what else.)  They were all bought for my nostalgia.  The reality is that every single one is a pain in the butt and none of my kids has ever understood the point of any of these contraptions... except for the cotton candy maker which is of the devil and I refuse to buy refills for it.

• wintermom and trulycrabby like this

#5 displace

displace

2e or not 2e

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4191 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:48 AM

I also have an unfulfilled desire for one. But I’m refusing to get one for DD. I don’t like the focus on sweets with them (not attacking anyone, just that with my family it is a problem), and I’d rather she practice real cooking and baking .

Now I feel justified 😄
  • kewb likes this

#6 happyonthebeach

happyonthebeach

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:50 AM

Me too.  I SO wanted one of these when I was growing up, but never got one.  I was even tempted to get one for my ds, but he wasn't interested.

• wintermom likes this

#7 wintermom

wintermom

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6281 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:57 AM

I watched my friend try to make a little cake thing in her easy-bake-oven. That was enough for me. It just didn't live up to the hype.   I could make and eat bigger, better batter at home.  :laugh:

#8 Night Elf

Night Elf

Finished homeschooling.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14435 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:13 AM

I had one when I was little. I used it mostly to cook frozen french fries. My friend and I would sit there, waiting for each little pan to cook, and then when we got a nice little pile of fries, we'd eat them. It took forever though! I guess it kept me out of my mom's hair.

• Alice, katilac, Frances and 1 other like this

#9 beckyjo

beckyjo

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1740 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:08 AM

I'll be the lone dissenter; it was a popular toy here. My kids got one off of Freecycle years ago. I liked it for various reasons. 

• It made cheap, easy, non-clutter gifts for people to give the girls. "What does DD want for her birthday?" "How about a mix for the Easy Bake?"
  • It kept them busy for a LONG time as they worked.
  • They only got a bite or two of the sweet, I was like, "Sure, go ahead and make cookies!".
  • I have 3 kids and it made such a small amount, I didn't have to eat the stuff.
  • They learned to clean up their mess afterward. 

So all in all, the toy worked for me. I'm sorry yours aren't working out.

• Sarah CB, katilac, Frances and 3 others like this

#10 Pippen

Pippen

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6331 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:20 AM

Another vote for evil! Easy Bake was one of my great childhood disappointments. I got one of the early seafoam green versions for Christmas and only got to bake with it until the mixes that came with it ran out. Refills were too expensive and we had no money and there was no internet to look up recipes. 

I grew up in a difficult family situation, and Easy Bake letdown shouldn't have even stuck on my radar. Strange how those childhood toy memories can stick. (Please don't trouble yourself about me now, I've moved on to a 1973 harvest gold Tappan range   :lol: .)

Edited by Pippen, 13 January 2018 - 08:21 AM.

• Lizzie in Ma, secretgarden, SusanC and 1 other like this

#11 JFSinIL

JFSinIL

Queen of teh Typos ;-)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10026 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:52 AM

I'd throw the lot out, get each kid their own muffin tins etc., and teach them to properly bake goodies from scratch. I had an Easy Bake as a kid and after using it once or twice it was never touched again. Dad taught me how to bake, instead. I did the same for my kids, girls and boy.

I had the Betty Crocker Cook Book for Boys and Girls and bought one (updated) for my kids, too.

Now I am remembering the machine my kid brother got - and I used a great deal - that made little rubbery monsters. It heated up, too. This was all late 1960s.

Edited by JFSinIL, 13 January 2018 - 09:57 AM.

• Jann in TX, Phoebe and Rach like this

#12 maize

maize

Maizgyver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19465 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:02 AM

My little sister wanted an easy bake oven.

My mom got her a toaster oven and some small baking dishes and a recipe book to go with it instead. Way better value and got a lot of use :)
  • wintermom, Squiddles and scoutingmom like this

#13 liber

liber

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:34 AM

I loved my easy bake oven and used it all the time. I still have it and it still works.
  • beckyjo likes this

#14 katilac

katilac

Chief Educational Executive & Cruise Director

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9346 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:19 AM

I feel you are unfairly blaming the EZ Bake ovens for electrical problems  :laugh:

My oldest loved hers with a passion. Yes, she had plenty of opportunities for 'real' cooking and baking, but that did not dampen the lure of a purple oven and tiny little cake pans. 

Pippen, my experience was also pre-Internet, but we just added water to regular cake mix. I don't remember if someone told us that or if we just tried it out of desperation, lol. 

We also melted crayons and Mardi Gras beads in the same oven and pans. I'm sure that was extremely healthy. 

• Pippen likes this

#15 Caroline

Caroline

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5805 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:29 AM

One of the benefits to having a child with celiac is no Easy Bake Oven. Just kidding. Or not.

#16 Word Nerd

Word Nerd

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11979 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:31 AM

We had one when I was a kid. The plastic thing that pushes the pans partly melted when we weren’t paying attention. We used Jiffy mixes when the Easy Bake ones ran out—about as cheap as you can get for packaged mixes.
  • Frances likes this

#17 Frances

Frances

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2223 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:37 PM

Another vote for evil! Easy Bake was one of my great childhood disappointments. I got one of the early seafoam green versions for Christmas and only got to bake with it until the mixes that came with it ran out. Refills were too expensive and we had no money and there was no internet to look up recipes.

I grew up in a difficult family situation, and Easy Bake letdown shouldn't have even stuck on my radar. Strange how those childhood toy memories can stick. (Please don't trouble yourself about me now, I've moved on to a 1973 harvest gold Tappan range :lol: .)

We never used the actual Easy Bake mixes, just cheap Jiffy cake mixes. Although we were allowed to do real baking pretty much whenever we wanted, my sister, friends, and I still enjoyed an occasional Easy Bake adventure. I don’t recall ever doing anything besides cake, though.
  • Pippen likes this

#18 SparklyUnicorn

SparklyUnicorn

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38180 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:30 PM

They are the worst.  My kid who had one absolutely adored that stupid thing though.

LOL

#19 wintermom

wintermom

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6281 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:16 PM

My little sister wanted an easy bake oven.

My mom got her a toaster oven and some small baking dishes and a recipe book to go with it instead. Way better value and got a lot of use :)

What a brilliant idea! So much more useful. I love the actual "real danger" fact of cooking with this, too. Baking and cooking is fun, but it is dangerous and needs to be respected. 

The extension cords in the OP's post scare me, as do 2 electric devices being used improperly without enough supervision. 

• maize likes this

#20 kewb

kewb

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7401 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:47 PM

I refused to let my kids have one. Probably because I am still bitter that I never had one.

#21 Vida Winter

Vida Winter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4747 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:25 PM

Say what you want about EZ Bake promoting sweets but at least the sweets were small...my dd's would work all afternoon for a couple bites of cake. They had a lot of fun with that oven.

• displace likes this

#22 trulycrabby

trulycrabby

mullet supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5278 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:55 PM

Gee whiz, I loved my EZ bake oven! When we didn't have brownie mix, which was always, I'd make baked rice pudding.

#23 scoutingmom

scoutingmom

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1481 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 04:39 AM

Apparently my older sister asked for one for Christmas one year. She got a phone call from Santa a few days before Christmas saying something like there was a shortage in production but that he was sure that she was capable enough to bake in the kitchen with her Mom......

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk