What's with the ads?

#1 onelittlemonkey

onelittlemonkey

I am on a curiosity voyage... DH, Stranger Things

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1941 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:14 PM

I'm looking for a Catholic or similar retreat for a few days or so. I want quiet, not touristy where people will be swinging by for day outings. In fact, I'd prefer a silent retreat. I'm not catholic, but find that denomination so comforting. I'd like prayer, silence, etc. any first hand knowledge? Feel free to pm me if need be.
I'm in Georgia, so southeast is necessary.
I've looked at a couple of retreat sites, but first hand knowledge would be ideal, since this is so new to me.
Thank you in advance.

#2 Pam in CT

Pam in CT

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5833 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:38 PM

Not Catholic, but as a lifelong admirer of Thomas Merton and longer-for-silence, lol... I dream sometimes about doing retreat at the Abbey of Gethsemane in KY (Trappist).  Looks like they're renovating through March.

There are a number of Benedictine monasteries that take retreating visitors, but the ones I know of are in the North.  The Benedictines cycle through the whole of Psalms in 10-day intervals, which pulls on my heart.

There are also many Buddhist silent retreats -- just google your area -- but it sounds like you'd prefer Catholic.

If you do it, please report back.  I would love to hear your experience.

ETA if you haven't come across Kathleen Norris' Cloister Walk, I recommend highly.

Edited by Pam in CT, 12 January 2018 - 05:39 PM.

• 8circles, onelittlemonkey and peacelovehomeschooling like this

#3 Sadie

Sadie

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23855 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:38 PM

No specific recommendations, obviously, but I have done two retreats with Catholic nuns, and they were very helpful. 

Re silence - err on the side of fewer days, rather than more. Silent retreats can bring up a lot of stuff, and 2 or 3 days is more manageable than 7 or 10.

• Chris in VA, Patty Joanna, onelittlemonkey and 2 others like this

#4 IfIOnly

IfIOnly

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:51 PM

This sounds lovely.

No recs, but your post reminds me of a mom of 8 who would request the hymn Blessed Quietness every Sunday during a particularly demanding time in her life. I wish I had known about the noise reducing headphones back then because I would have gifted her a pair.  :wub: She's def. an introvert with a house full of mostly extraverts. 

Edited by IfIOnly, 12 January 2018 - 05:52 PM.

• JanOH and peacelovehomeschooling like this

#5 carriede

carriede

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1329 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:31 PM

Take a look at the Monastery of the Holy Spirit. It's in Conyers, GA. http://www.trappist.net
  • CinV likes this

#6 peacelovehomeschooling

peacelovehomeschooling

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:16 PM

This sounds lovely.

No recs, but your post reminds me of a mom of 8 who would request the hymn Blessed Quietness every Sunday during a particularly demanding time in her life. I wish I had known about the noise reducing headphones back then because I would have gifted her a pair.  :wub: She's def. an introvert with a house full of mostly extraverts. 

Thank you for sharing this song/video.  I have not heard the song before, oh my gosh, it is just beautiful. 

• IfIOnly likes this

#7 peacelovehomeschooling

peacelovehomeschooling

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:17 PM

I have no recommendations, but that kind of retreat sounds just heavenly.

#8 mytwomonkeys

mytwomonkeys

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4189 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:36 PM

I grew up in Marietta, GA and love the monastery in Conyers. I would highly recommend it for a silent retreat and have been on several there. It is absolutely wonderful. The accommodations are simple, the grounds are beautiful, and the time of worship with the monks is really beautiful (the inside of the church is gorgeous). They have a silent cafeteria and everything. I also recommend their store and bread! It’s so yummy! It’s been years since I’ve been, but assuming it’s the same - you will not be disappointed. It’s called Monastery of the Holy Spirit in Conyers, GA

#9 AnnE-girl

AnnE-girl

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1510 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:04 PM

Now I’m googling for retreats near me. Silence for a few days sounds heavenly.
  • Free Indeed likes this

#10 wintermom

wintermom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6202 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:40 PM

I really loved the early January 3-day silent retreat I attended for a few years led by 3 Jesuit priests. They were so kind, humble, wonderful speakers and listeners. Yes, there was some speaking going on, but only during our 1-on-1 meetings with the priest we were assigned to meet daily. He would give me a piece of scripture to read, and several hours later we'd meet again and I'd talk to him about how I meditated/prayed on the reading.  And I really appreciated the Jesuit or Ignatian prayers or Daily Examen. 

Sadly, they stopped doing that silent retreat near me. I should explore some other similar options. 

#11 onelittlemonkey

onelittlemonkey

I am on a curiosity voyage... DH, Stranger Things

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1941 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:59 PM

Thanks y'all! I looked at the one in Conyers as it's fairly close to me (well four hrs anyway) and I think I may see about doing one there soon. Possibly February. I'll let you know if I do it and how it goes. 💗💗💗
  • PeacefulChaos, Sadie and IfIOnly like this

#12 Patty Joanna

Patty Joanna

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9951 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:02 PM

Now I’m googling for retreats near me. Silence for a few days sounds heavenly.

Sadie said it upthread. Take it slow. 2-3 Days first time out. Max.
  • onelittlemonkey and Sadie like this

#13 Patty Joanna

Patty Joanna

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9951 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:41 PM

One other thing (or probably forty-11, knowing me).

Think about what it is you want from this retreat. All kinds of possibilities here. You can then snoop around on the web to look for a plan for how to use your time (and believe me, it can be almost completely unstructured to very structured and everything in between). Ask the retreat center if they have suggestions for you, especially because they know what happens at their center and who tends to find the experience most satisfying.

Make your plans so you can accomplish your goal. If you want a silent retreat, where does a phone/tablet fit into that? Can you —should you—check these at the door? Arrange for a daily check-in with family?

If you go to a Catholic center as you mentioned, how fully do you want to /are you asked to participate in the life of the nuns/residents? What will you need to do to be prepared for that? (I like to have an idea of what is going on so I would want to research ahead of time... but that is not for everyone.)

One thing you can do with very little commitment, commute or prep is to find a church that has a prayer room/chapel/cell where you could go and be undisturbed for 4 hours. Give that a try, staying in the room (no phone!!) and take some time to reflect on what is calling you toward this kind of retreat. That experience will probably tell you a lot!! If you want, you could schedule the 4 hours so that it starts or ends with a prayer service like Vespers or matins.

Just some thoughts. I’ve done a certain amount of this. If I have a specific task/topic that needs to be addressed, I just check into a hotel room for a day—and leave the TV remote and my phone at the front desk. :0) but if it is longer than I want to be alone (even if silent) it’s at a retreat center.
  • IfIOnly likes this