Menu

Romantic trip to Florida Keys during spring break... are we crazy?

Janie Grace

Our kids have plans over spring break with grandparents so we thought we'd grab the opportunity to escape somewhere warm to celebrate our 20th (which is in March). Our trip window is 5 days at the end of March-early April. We have airline miles and can go anywhere in US. We thought Florida Keys might be nice... warm, fun water activities (sailing, snorkeling, kayaking). But I am having such a hard time booking a place to stay... I had 7 houses on my airbnb wishlist and 6 are now gone (within 2 days). This makes me think that the Keys are going to be jam packed. 

We have never been before. When the Keys are "at capacity" is it still peaceful or is it crazy? (We would be near Key Largo or Marathon, NOT Key West.) Should I try to figure out a different destination? If so WHERE??? We want warm and peaceful and fun. Good food is a plus. We don't want to be surrounded by tons of kids (as much as we love ours). 

• Like 2

The other keys should be ok, as the more popular key west, Miami, and ft Lauderdale are spring break college crazy.

It should be normal family vacationers on the other keys during spring break, or locals on a short trip vacation. They shouldn’t be horribly crowded, but I haven’t been for a few years during that time period.

I live in Tampa, and I would personally avoid the Keys during Spring Break.   Have you looked at Sanibel or Captiva?   They will probably be busy and crowded that time of year, but more so with snowbirds than drunk college kids.    Sanibel is one of my favorite places in Florida for an adults-only trip.     

I would definitely avoid Clearwater, Panama City, and Ft. Lauderdale during that time.   

• Like 3

Key West is a blast. Fantasy Fest is not for children! It is hard to find a place to stay on Key West. The other keys are easier, but KW is more fun.

Palm Beach has warm water all year because of the gulf stream, and it's not too spring breakish. And you can visit our president! ;)

Check Islamorada hotels. Do you use TripAdvisor? Sands of Islamorada had lower prices, if you care about that. Drift Hotel...just throwing ideas out there.

Also, Bahia Honda State Park has cabins. Probably booked.

Easter weekend is on March 30. 

This is my dream anniversary, to go to the Keys. YEAH!

Just beware that the beaches in Key West leave a lot to be desired.  They certainly aren't among the best FL has to offer anyway.  For snorkeling, you'll want to be at or near Key Largo or toward the middle and expect to get to the better areas by boat - shore snorkeling also leaves a bit to be desired.  This site is a good one to look at IMO:

http://www.tropicalsnorkeling.com/snorkeling-florida-keys.html

Biscayne NP (near Miami) also has some decent locations. If I recall correctly, it still requires a boat trip.

If you could rent a boat instead of condo/house (since you mentioned sailing) and get to the Dry Tortugas the snorkeling is among the best FL has to offer (assuming it hasn't been hurricane affected).  There's a National Park there, but the only lodging is carry in camping (which we loved, but one would have to love primitive camping).  A sailboat would allow you access, then continue moseying on.

• Like 1