Menu

Favorite mixed drink?

Chris in VA

I promise I'm not a lush. Really. 

I am not a big drinker and don't plan on becoming one. 

There. All my defenses are now in play. (Comes from being hyperaware of alcoholism, so forgive me.)  :laugh:

I want to make some really yummy, "not-wine" drinks. I've liked apple-tinis, lemon martinis (lemondrop?) and cosmos in the past. When we go out to a restaurant, once in a while I'll order one of those.

So, what do you like? is it "soft" on the tummy? I mean, I get a little reflux from acid-y drinks (like lemonade or juice) so I steer clear most of the time. I also don't tolerate milk well (sorry, Bailey's--even though you are Delicious). 

I don't drink at all any more because of stomach issues, but my favorite drink was Bacardi Razz and 7up.  Rum and coke was fine when I didn't want to put thought into it, or if they only had Sierra Mist or something (not the same!).  Dark soda doesn't bother my stomach (water does, go figure).

There is an almond milk version of Bailey's now if you can't handle the dairy.  I haven't tried it, though.

I don't drink at all any more because of stomach issues, but my favorite drink was Bacardi Razz and 7up.  Rum and coke was fine when I didn't want to put thought into it, or if they only had Sierra Mist or something (not the same!).  Dark soda doesn't bother my stomach (water does, go figure).

There is an almond milk version of Bailey's now if you can't handle the dairy.  I haven't tried it, though.

Really. 

Oh my. 

That could be dangerous! lol

• Like 1

None of my favorites will be good for your reflux I'm afraid. they aren't good for my reflux, lol! But sometimes it's worth taking the meds and hoping for the best. 

Favorite EVER was a drink I had at the Harlequin annual party....it was an espresso martini made with XO Patron, Godiva chocolate liquer, and espresso. It was AMAZING. Can't find a recipe for it though.  But in general, an espresso martini. 

Otherwise I drink margaritas, champagne based drinks like mimosas, or a whiskey sour. 

• Like 1

My first-ever (legally-consumed) cocktail which is still my favorite is amaretto and soda with a twist of lime.  Maybe it's not really a cocktail since it's not hard liquor?

When I was 17 in Hawaii I got very drunk on mai tais on a catamaran cruise.  I have not consumed rum since then.  

• Like 1

None of my favorites will be good for your reflux I'm afraid. they aren't good for my reflux, lol! But sometimes it's worth taking the meds and hoping for the best. 

Favorite EVER was a drink I had at the Harlequin annual party....it was an espresso martini made with XO Patron, Godiva chocolate liquer, and espresso. It was AMAZING. Can't find a recipe for it though.  But in general, an espresso martini. 

Otherwise I drink margaritas, champagne based drinks like mimosas, or a whiskey sour. 

There's a restaurant here known for their ice cream martinis.  One of them is an espresso martini.  It's so fun to watch the bartender make them.

I'd need a Pepto Bismol martini to have those!

I used to only drink whiskey sours, but that’s probably not going to do well with your reflux. It might be worth a try though. I don’t drink much at all anymore, but if I do, it’s straight whiskey.

:lol: I haven't had a drink in 7 years. I don't like mixed drinks. I like straight whiskey too!

Edited by Elizabeth86

My go-to drink now is margaritas. I buy them pre-mixed in a bottle. The Jose Cuervo brand is the smoothest. I have reflux issues too and amazingly tequila doesn't bother me. I can't stand whisky or gin. 

Another drink I like is vanilla vodka mixed with orange juice, over ice and topped with whipped cream. 

Another warm drink idea is cherry moscato mixed with warm spiced chai tea. That was my previous go-to drink. 

• Like 1

I hardly drink, but if I do, my preference is for aperitifs. They are lower in alcohol than hard liquors.

Campari and soda -- Campari is rather bitter, which I find refreshing

Lillet, nice with a bit of orange

Pimm's Cup -- mix with sparkling soda like ginger ale or (British) lemonade, add cucumber, strawberries, mint, etc. refreshing in summer

Dubonnet

Sweet vermouth

There are lots and lots of aperitifs, some very bitter, like Cynar, other rather sweet, like Galiano.

Oh, and how could I forget sherry? Just pour into a sherry glass and enjoy as is. Strictly speaking, though, sherry is a fortified wine, like Madeira or Port.

Pernod is another famous aperitif, and there are a number of other licorice flavored drinks, not my personal favorite, but beloved by many.

Since people tend to sip aperitifs, that, combined with a low alcohol content make them good drinks for occasional drinkers. Also the bitter ones are said to have some health benefits. Fernet Branca, for example, is a digestif. I have to stock this for Italian friends who want a thimbleful after a big meal.

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 2

Eww. How can you actually like whiskey! lol I can't really taste it because it's so strong. 

There is SUCH a range of flavors in whiskey...it's like wine. Seriously, just like a merlot and a pino grigio taste nothing alike, there are whiskeys that don't. I can't stand, say Crown (which is a rye whiskey) but REALLY enjoy a nice, heavily peated single malt Scotch. Taste nothing alike.

• Like 2

Soft on your stomach would include dairy and/or tropical fruit, I think.

So I would recommend a pina colada, a Kahlua colada, or  Kahlua and cream on ice.  These are all sweet.

My favorite hot bar drink is hot buttered rum.  So nice on a winter evening!

My favorite nonsweet drinks are a kamikaze with stoli vodka, or a manhattan.  Those are most emphatically not soft on your stomach, beware!  Oh, and, thanks to the WTM anniversary trip to Virginia, a mint julep!

• Like 1

I think my favorite is an old fashion.

I also have a fondness for dirty martini, negroni, and cosmo's too. (I promise, not all on the same night. :) )

My mom used to drink old fashioneds! 

LOL--this has been fun. 

Didn't buy any alcohol or make anything. It's probably more the idea, like making a fancy dessert or something. 

I do think most of you people sound pretty fun.  :laugh:

• Like 1

I'm a poor girl who loves champagne.  LOL  But for mixed drinks, my favorite is probably the Seabreeze:  Vodka, cranberry juice, grapefruit juice.  I won't turn down a pina colada, either, if that counts.

My fave is really close to yours, the Baybreeze. It is made by putting 2-3 cubes of ice in an 8-10 oz glass, adding 1-2 shots of vodka, and then filling the glass with equal parts cranberry and pineapple juices. Yummy!

I also wouldn't turn down and pina colada. :laugh:

I almost always stick with vodka cranberry. It’s a predictably safe drink for my head and stomach.

I’ve also enjoyed an occasional mai tai or Bay Breeze, which is just a vodka cran with pineapple juice. Mojitos are refreshing, too. I’ve recently wanted to try a Moscow Mule.

You’ll notice that all of the drinks I enjoy have vodka or rum, and generally just 1 alcohol source rather than a bunch of difference liquors mixed together. I’ve found other drinks to be risky for my body.

Fernet Branca, for example, is a digestif. I have to stock this for Italian friends who want a thimbleful after a big meal.

This is a new one in our household.  My DH wanted to try some, so I put in a special order for his birthday.  They don't even carry it at the stores near us.   It is definitely an acquired taste!   Mostly he just sips it and has especially appreciated it when he had a cold.  We have discovered a mixed drink or two that it is good in, as well, but it is very strongly flavored and can easily overpower the other flavors in your drink.

• Like 1

Mojitos.  I wondered what they were from watching Burn Notice so I tried one on a trip.  They quickly jumped to my absolute favorite.  I only get them when traveling though.  We don't drink at all at home except for the occasional wine with dinner.  Very occasional.  Less than one night per month occasional.

When in Hawaii I switch to Mai Tais.  Outside of Hawaii they don't taste the same though (still good, just not "right").

I like other fruity drinks with rum too, but you asked for favorite.

when I get mixed drinks I love my mojitos (plain or coconut).  I also love pineapple juice with cococut rum (and a bit of coconut cream).

Hmm, I've never tried these with coconut, but I suspect I'd love them.  I love pretty much anything coconut even if I don't like the "substance" plain (things like pancakes, cookies, pies, cakes, etc).  Thanks for the idea!

Keep in mind, I have very common taste, lol. 

When doing low carb, I usually stick to vodka with a sugar-free drink mix. My favorite is Wyler's Strawberry Lemonade. 

In general, I love frozen frozen margaritas, strawberry coladas, and Fireball  :coolgleamA:

• Like 1