http://www.businessi...nt=allverticals

#2 Arcadia

Arcadia

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17168 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:47 PM

List of the 63 store closures from USA Today https://www.usatoday...ist/1026816001/

“Alabama
Irondale: 3900 Grants Mill Road, 35210

Alaska
Anchorage, 8801 Old Seward Hwy., 99515
Anchorage, 1074 N Muldoon Road, 99504
Fairbanks, 48 College Road, 99701

Arizona
Casa Grande, 2425 E Florence Blvd., 85194
Chandler, 1375 S Arizona Ave., 85286
Prescott Valley, 5757 E State Route 69, 86314
Scottsdale, 15255 N Northsight Blvd., 85260

California
City of Industry, 17835 Gale Ave, 91748
Stanton, 12540 Beach Blvd., 90680
Sacramento, 3360 El Camino Ave., 95821
San Fernando, 12920 Foothill Blvd., 91340

Connecticut
Manchester, 69 Pavilions Drive, 06042
Orange, 2 Boston Post Road, 06477

Florida
Fern Park, 355 FL-436, 32730
Tampa, 5135 S Dale Mabry Hwy., 33611

Georgia
Lithonia, 2994 Turner Hill Road, 30038

Illinois
Batavia, 501 N Randall Road, 60510
Matteson, 21430 S Cicero Ave., 60443
Moline, 6600 44th Ave., 61265
Naperville, 808 S Illinois Rte 59, 60540
Romeoville, 460 S Weber Road, 60446
Streamwood, 900 S Barrington Road, 60107
Wheeling, 1055 McHenry Road, 60090

Indiana
Indianapolis, 3015 W 86th St., 46268
Indianapolis, 10859 E Washington St., 46229
Goshen, 4024 Elkhart Rd #1, 46526

Louisiana
Baton Rouge, 9598 Cortana Place, 70815

Maryland
Owings Mills, 9750 Reisterstown Road, 21117

Massachusetts
Worcester, 1 Tobias Boland Way, 01607

Michigan
Farmington Hills, 32625 Northwestern Hwy., 48334
Lansing, 340 E Edgewood Blvd., 48911

Minnesota
Moorhead, 2800 27th Ave S., 56560
St. Louis Park, 3745 Louisiana Ave S., 55426

New Hampshire
Manchester, 200 John E Devine Drive, 03103
Seabrook, 11 Batchelder Road, 03874

New Jersey
Budd Lake, 81 International Dr S., 07828
Linden, 1900 E Linden Ave., 07036
Princeton, 301 Nassau Park Blvd., 08540

New York
Jamestown, 720 Fairmount Ave, NY 14701
Rochester, 700 Elmridge Center Drive, 14626
Rochester, 1600 Marketplace Drive, 14623
Syracuse, 2649 Erie Blvd. E., 13224

North Carolina
Lumberton, 5085 Dawn Drive, 28360
Morrisville, 1101 Shiloh Glenn Drive, 27560

Ohio
Cincinnati, 4825 Marburg Ave., 45209
Loveland, 9570 Fields Ertel Road, 45140

Tennessee
Memphis, 1805 Getwell Road, 38111
Nashville, 615 Old Hickory Blvd., 37209

Texas
Houston, 1615 S Loop W., 77054
Houston, 13331 Westheimer Road, 77077
New Caney, 22296 Market Place Drive, 77357
San Antonio, 12919 San Pedro Ave., 78216

Virginia
Norfolk, 741 E Little Creek Road, 23518
Richmond, 4571 S Laburnum Ave., 23231

Washington
Auburn, 1101 Outlet Collection Way, 98001
Renton, 901 S Grady Way, 98057
Seattle, 13550 Aurora Ave. N., 98133

Wisconsin
Madison, 7050 Watts Road, 53719
West Allis, 1540 S 108th St., 53214

Puerto Rico
Barceloneta, 1145 Carr 2, Bo Florida Afuera
Bayamon, Carr 830
Humacao, Carr 3 Km 82 Bo Junquitos”

WARN notice went out for Indiana
http://fox2now.com/2...ng-their-doors/
“Employers must give workers 60 days notice before closing a plant or issuing mass layoffs, according to the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act. Sam’s Club posted one such alert, referred to as a WARN notice, to the Indiana state government’s website. That notice says three locations in the state were slated to be closed on January 26. The move will impact 419 employees.”

From CNN http://money.cnn.com...sing/index.html
““In the press release, Walmart said it will offer "support and resources to those associates who are affected, including the bonus announced today and 60 days of pay, as well as severance to those eligible."

The federal Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act requires big employers to give workers 60 days notice before closing a plant or issuing mass layoffs.”

#3 Diana P.

Diana P.

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11037 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:52 PM

What Sams employees are actually eligible for severance?

Yesterday, Walmart was saying they were giving bonuses to eligible employees, but the story sounded like an extremely small percentage we're eligible.
  • amsunshine likes this

#4 Arctic Mama

Arctic Mama

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13894 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:59 PM

That’s like all the Anchorage stores!

#5 creekland

creekland

Retired homeschooler!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24577 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:04 PM

I've never shopped at any Sam's store in my life, but it seems the PA versions are doing just fine without me.  They just opened a new one near me within the past year.  I'm guessing they are just concentrating on keeping the most profitable stores.

• happypamama likes this

#6 Lady Florida.

Lady Florida.

The real me. Got tired of being a dog.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13264 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:10 PM

I saw that last night. Two are in Florida though neither one is near me. The one I go to is still open as are the two I used to shop at before one opened closer to home.

The worst part is not so much the closures but that most of the employees weren't informed. It would have been nice if they had time to start looking for new jobs. Figures. Walmart.

• amsunshine, jewellsmommy, vonfirmath and 6 others like this

#7 eternalsummer

eternalsummer

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4809 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:14 PM

I saw that last night. Two are in Florida though neither one is near me. The one I go to is still open as are the two I used to shop at before one opened closer to home.

The worst part is not so much the closures but that most of the employees weren't informed. It would have been nice if they had time to start looking for new jobs. Figures. Walmart.

The article I read was confusing - it said a lot of the locations were closing in about 2 weeks, but the terminations weren't happening until March (so 60 days, I guess) even for hourly workers.

• kandesmom likes this

#8 Fifiruth

Fifiruth

Hive Mind Level 3 Worker: Honeymaking Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1309 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:24 PM

They lock people out for the same reason they walk people out in corporate offices: possible vandalism and theft. They don’t give notice because of the possibility of staff/workers walking off the job or not showing up for scheduled shifts during the final months or weeks.

It’s shocking, but I understand why they do it. They should have to give at least two weeks severance pay, though.

I can also understand the conversion of retail outlets to e-commerce facilities; it’s the future of retail.

Edited by Fifiruth, 12 January 2018 - 01:27 PM.

• gardenmom5, shawthorne44, trulycrabby and 1 other like this

#9 Where's Toto?

Where's Toto?

Eclectically Us-Schooling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:29 PM

I used to work at one of the Sam's Clubs on the list.  It's the only one anywhere near where I live, but we also have a BJ's and a Costco close by so there was a lot of competition.  Sam's Club is less popular because they didn't take coupons, and I think they used to only take a couple credit cards.  I used to get sent out to price compare when I worked there and Sam's usually wasn't the best prices.

#10 prairiewindmomma

prairiewindmomma

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10665 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:29 PM

Poor PR handling, imo.

• PinkyandtheBrains. likes this

#11 heartlikealion

heartlikealion

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12618 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:31 PM

Yeah, I guess I can see the hesitation to let people know if it would cause an uproar/theft/disgruntled workers/no shows, etc. Still stinks, though.

We have a Sam's we use, but they are supposed to be opening a Costco later (I think this year). We would consider switching to Costco. Not sure how others feel.

#12 eternalsummer

eternalsummer

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4809 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:32 PM

They lock people out for the same reason they walk people out in corporate offices: possible vandalism and theft. They don’t give notice because of the possibility of staff/workers walking off the job or not showing up for scheduled shifts during the final months or weeks.

It’s shocking, but I understand why they do it. They should have to give at least two weeks severance pay, though.

I can also understand the conversion of retail outlets to e-commerce facilities; it’s the future of retail.

But from what I've read they are giving 60 days' pay.

• Hoggirl and CinV like this

#13 Diana P.

Diana P.

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11037 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:36 PM

Again, is it clear ALL employees are getting 60 days pay. Or is it a small percent of "eligible" employees. 

• Lady Florida. and Sneezyone like this

#14 Diana P.

Diana P.

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11037 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:37 PM

Again, is it clear ALL employees are getting 60 days pay. Or is it a small percent of "eligible" employees. 

#15 Arcadia

Arcadia

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17168 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:39 PM

The article I read was confusing - it said a lot of the locations were closing in about 2 weeks, but the terminations weren't happening until March (so 60 days, I guess) even for hourly workers.

The storefront closes but workers get paid for 60 days which is the WARN period. Some employers would rather pay the 60 days of wages than inform early and have disgruntled employees working and badmouthing them to customers while working.

10 locations are being converted to warehouses for their online shopping. So paying affected workers to stay home for 60 days so that those locations can be converted as soon as possible make sense from the business point of view. Many Wal-Mart stores here are still hiring so won’t be surprising if they are transferring staff first to neighboring stores and giving severance pay to those who opt not to transfer. That’s what Macy’s does and Macy is closing 11 stores this month.
  • Hoggirl, kitten18, trulycrabby and 2 others like this

#16 transientChris

transientChris

Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10778 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:59 PM

My dd gets some medications from Sam\s Club pharmacy but I checked and the one in Memphis that is closing is not her usual one.  (She needs to get a very specific generic medication that Sam's has and not some of the other pharmacies who use other generics that give her problems due to incorrect dissolving, etc.)  We do not have either a Sam;s club membership or a Costco.  The last thing I need in my limited cabinet and closet space is to buy large portions of anything.  There are usually only two of us here too.

#17 heartlikealion

heartlikealion

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12618 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:15 PM

My dd gets some medications from Sam\s Club pharmacy but I checked and the one in Memphis that is closing is not her usual one.  (She needs to get a very specific generic medication that Sam's has and not some of the other pharmacies who use other generics that give her problems due to incorrect dissolving, etc.)  We do not have either a Sam;s club membership or a Costco.  The last thing I need in my limited cabinet and closet space is to buy large portions of anything.  There are usually only two of us here too.

I wasn't sure if you could use the pharmacy without a membership. That's good to know.

As far as space lol, that is true for the most part. For some things it's not bad. Like you pay the same amount for a rotisserie chicken at Sam's as WM, but the Sam's one is bigger. We buy the double packs of bread loaves, but have a deep freeze so we can freeze a loaf from each set.

#18 gardenmom5

gardenmom5

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20384 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:31 PM

I used to work at one of the Sam's Clubs on the list. It's the only one anywhere near where I live, but we also have a BJ's and a Costco close by so there was a lot of competition. Sam's Club is less popular because they didn't take coupons, and I think they used to only take a couple credit cards. I used to get sent out to price compare when I worked there and Sam's usually wasn't the best prices.

It has to be more than that.
Costco only takes one card. Currently, visa. They don't take coupons either.
  • marbel likes this

#19 SparklyUnicorn

SparklyUnicorn

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38069 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:31 PM

They did the same thing with their smaller grocery stores.  I had one near my house I went to a lot, but they just abruptly closed it.  I wasn't happy!

#20 gardenmom5

gardenmom5

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20384 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:32 PM

I wasn't sure if you could use the pharmacy without a membership. That's good to know.

As far as space lol, that is true for the most part. For some things it's not bad. Like you pay the same amount for a rotisserie chicken at Sam's as WM, but the Sam's one is bigger. We buy the double packs of bread loaves, but have a deep freeze so we can freeze a loaf from each set.

you don't have to be a Costco member to use the pharmacy.
  • heartlikealion likes this

#21 SparklyUnicorn

SparklyUnicorn

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38069 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:33 PM

Our locations are not on the list, but there isn't as much competition.  We have BJs, but not Costco.  I have shopped there in the past, but I don't think their prices are anything special. 

#22 vonfirmath

vonfirmath

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5220 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:36 PM

The combination of a Sam's Club close to our house (And Costco much farther away) and Costco stopping taking the American Express that I got BECAUSE of them caused us to stop going to Costco and start going to Sam's Club instead.  They are now building a Costco closer -- but the Sam's Club is still more convenient so we'll stick with what we have.  Ours is not closing.   For years and years we went to Costco because we were in the Seattle-area where they opened and Costco was what was convenient. So I guess, for me, I'm more concerned about convenience and being able to get in and out of the parking lot than the name on the building

• kitten18 likes this

#23 vonfirmath

vonfirmath

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5220 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:42 PM

That was the thing that was bugging me -- why they would close stores like this, with no notice.  I didn't realize this was a concern. I understood why corporate does it for individuals but did not think it would be the same concern for a whole store closing.

It is, at least, January and not December. I remember how upset people got when Boeing laid people off right before Christmas one year.

• shawthorne44 and Tsuga like this

#24 Lucy the Valiant

Lucy the Valiant

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:48 PM

One of the ones on the list that is near me actually closed a few months ago.

• Amy in NH likes this

#25 chicagoshannon

chicagoshannon

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:57 PM

Yep.  My store is closing.  Went yesterday to get my normal things and the store was CLOSED.  The employee standing outside told me that it would be open again tomorrow(today).  I thought that was odd but thought maybe a refrigeration unit broke or something.  Later I found out why.

Went back today and everything is 25% off.  Store was NUTSO.  Lines all the way to the back of the store.  There aren't too many happy people here right now.

#26 marbel

marbel

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9004 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:45 PM

I have a Sam's (not closing) within 3 miles of my house, and a Costco about 10 miles away.  For most of my purchases, I strongly prefer Costco. Their lines move faster, and their customer service is much better - Costco cashiers are much faster, more accurate, more polite... and I don't hear the cashiers chatting in loud voices to the cashier two lines over like I do in Sam's.  I would dump Sam's club but my husband says the lower gas price makes it pay.  I do run in there sometimes for take and bake pizzas when I need one quickly.  :-)

• gardenmom5 likes this

#27 cjzimmer1

cjzimmer1

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3222 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:14 PM

I have a Sam's (not closing) within 3 miles of my house, and a Costco about 10 miles away.  For most of my purchases, I strongly prefer Costco. Their lines move faster, and their customer service is much better - Costco cashiers are much faster, more accurate, more polite... and I don't hear the cashiers chatting in loud voices to the cashier two lines over like I do in Sam's.  I would dump Sam's club but my husband says the lower gas price makes it pay.  I do run in there sometimes for take and bake pizzas when I need one quickly.  :-)

I'm actually the opposite.  Sam's is a much better fit for our family.  Product selection is better for what I like (I'm just look for bulk items not fancy organic stuff) at Sam's and I can get in and out in just a few minutes.  The Costco lines are so ridiculously long I will often just not buy anything because it's not worth the effort to wait that long in line.

My Sam's is one that is closing.  I'm sad because there is not another one within 2 hours of me.  But since even that location wasn't very convenient I would only get there every other month or so.  

• kitten18, marbel and shawthorne44 like this

#28 whitehawk

whitehawk

Making it go!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5589 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:25 PM

The one by me that's closing, I never even knew was there. I think there are just more big stores than there need to be right now.

#29 3 ladybugs

3 ladybugs

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2008 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:35 PM

The one near me is closing. Costco opened a little over a year ago down the street. I am shocked they had that much to do with this. The Walmart near the Sam's Club isn't very nice. I used to belong to Sams but stopped when I couldn't justify the cost. I have the higher membership at Costco though. 

#30 Tammi K

Tammi K

Suddenly Morally Degenerate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3013 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:50 PM

Today there were lines snaked all the way across the front of the store and doubled back. Traffic was backed up on the Glenn for half a mile at one point.

#31 poppy

poppy

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7138 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:06 PM

WARN mandates 60 days pay for workers from large companies who work more than 20 hours a week.

This isn't Walmart being nice, this is  Federal law. The statement indicates that they are doing what is required (a/k/a the minimum required) by that federal statute.

• 8circles, mamaraby, gwennn and 1 other like this

#32 Arctic Mama

Arctic Mama

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13894 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:09 PM

Today there were lines snaked all the way across the front of the store and doubled back. Traffic was backed up on the Glenn for half a mile at one point.

Oh brother! That’s craziness.
  • Tammi K likes this

#33 KungFuPanda

KungFuPanda

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13218 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:42 PM

My Costco takes master card.

Oh wait . . . I think I just use my debit.

Edited by KungFuPanda, 12 January 2018 - 06:47 PM.

#34 heartlikealion

heartlikealion

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12618 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:08 PM

If Costco doesn't take other cc then I guess we probably won't be going there. Wow.

Some of you are talking about lines... does Costco have a self checkout? Sam's has self checkout, which we usually use. And they also have that Scan and Go app which I've seen people use so they scan as they shop I guess.

#35 heartlikealion

heartlikealion

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12618 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:25 PM

Sam's isn't really supposed to take coupons, either, but I have heard mixed things online. I double checked with our Sam's and they confirmed they do not take them. But they have some "Instant Savings" offers periodically which is a coupon. I believe you have to have a certain Sam's card to benefit from it. It seems to work on our membership, though. It's often cheaper to shop with no coupons (like when I was contemplating using a coupon on a case of apple sauce pouches from WM vs buying at Sam's).

#36 BarbecueMom

BarbecueMom

Bad Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3567 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:29 PM

If Costco doesn't take other cc then I guess we probably won't be going there. Wow.

Some of you are talking about lines... does Costco have a self checkout? Sam's has self checkout, which we usually use. And they also have that Scan and Go app which I've seen people use so they scan as they shop I guess.

Ours doesn't have self check, just the regular checkouts.  The lines aren't bad when I go on Monday nights, but weekends are a nightmare.  Homeschooling has ruined me on crowds and being in public on Saturday or Sunday.  Unlike the Little Mermaid, I don't wanna be where the people are.

• frogger and Arctic Mama like this

#37 marbel

marbel

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9004 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:36 PM

Sam's isn't really supposed to take coupons, either, but I have heard mixed things online. I double checked with our Sam's and they confirmed they do not take them. But they have some "Instant Savings" offers periodically which is a coupon. I believe you have to have a certain Sam's card to benefit from it. It seems to work on our membership, though. It's often cheaper to shop with no coupons (like when I was contemplating using a coupon on a case of apple sauce pouches from WM vs buying at Sam's).

Costco has similar coupon books. Well,  you don't need to take the coupon with you, but they send the booklets out a couple weeks ahead of the "sale" period.  I think I get Sam's and Costco's the same day, and check them both to see if there are deals on things I normally buy.

• gardenmom5 likes this

#38 scholastica

scholastica

Just Visiting

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:37 PM

From Costco’s website about payment:
Costco accepts all Visa cards, as well as cash, checks, debit/ATM, EBT and Costco Cash Cards. Photo identification and approval by a supervisor or manager may be required. A valid government-issued photo ID is required if you plan to pay by check. Cash, checks and EBT are not accepted at Costco.com, Costco Gas Stations or Costco Car Washes.

Ours only has lines at peak times. Plenty of times we go and get through quickly.
ETA: our Costco has self check

Edited by scholastica, 12 January 2018 - 08:37 PM.

• gardenmom5 and marbel like this

#39 gardenmom5

gardenmom5

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20384 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:19 PM

lines during busy periods.  they will open more lanes - they try to keep things moving and generally do a decent job of it.  if I go after lunch - but before school gets out, or RIGHT as people are getting off work - it can be quiet.   Saturday . . . early/mid afternoon, otherwise that's when everyone does their Costco run and it is a zoo.   but they have samples,  some are good - some, uh, no.

evenings can be ok - UNLESS, it's right before a holiday associated with food or they'll be closed.

they tried the self-checkout up here  (seattle area) - and no of the Costco's I visit (including #1 on 4th ave in seattle.  sometimes.)  they don't have self-checkout.

Ours doesn't have self check, just the regular checkouts.  The lines aren't bad when I go on Monday nights, but weekends are a nightmare.  Homeschooling has ruined me on crowds and being in public on Saturday or Sunday.  Unlike the Little Mermaid, I don't wanna be where the people are.

yeah - why should I stand in line if I don't have to?  

Saturday evening is usually quieter.

when dd got married - she told her dh they were going to have a Costco membership.  he didn't want one . . . he goes more than she does.  

#40 GoodGrief

GoodGrief

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1331 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:28 PM

The lines to get into Anchorage stores were insane today. The Dimond store line was backed up to Office Max!

• Arctic Mama likes this

#41 GoodGrief

GoodGrief

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1331 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:29 PM

We use Visa at Costco.

I've never been in one with a self checkout, but I would love that.  always wish for an express line too!

#42 gardenmom5

gardenmom5

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20384 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:32 PM

The combination of a Sam's Club close to our house (And Costco much farther away) and Costco stopping taking the American Express that I got BECAUSE of them caused us to stop going to Costco and start going to Sam's Club instead.  They are now building a Costco closer -- but the Sam's Club is still more convenient so we'll stick with what we have.  Ours is not closing.   For years and years we went to Costco because we were in the Seattle-area where they opened and Costco was what was convenient. So I guess, for me, I'm more concerned about convenience and being able to get in and out of the parking lot than the name on the building

dh  was overjoyed when costco got rid of amex.   and we like the visa better.    the % return on purchases is better and it more than pays for the exec membership.  (I got the amazon card for the same reason.  5% back on amazon purchases.)

there are three sam's in this area (all closing).  dh went a couple times to check it out.  he didn't like it.  I never went, and never cared to go.

time of day makes a difference.

#43 heartlikealion

heartlikealion

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12618 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:37 PM

My post wasn't clear. I meant, "wow they don't take other credit cards besides Visa?" We don't have a Visa CC and don't use our debit for most grocery trips.

#44 vonfirmath

vonfirmath

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5220 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:08 AM

Our Sam's has the self checkout (which we also generally use). The local Costco does not. I have not heard of that app.

#45 klmama

klmama

Busy Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5550 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:52 AM

One of my favorite frozen foods comes from Sam's; I haven't seen it elsewhere.  *Sigh*  I can't go this weekend, but maybe on Monday I'll make the trek to see if they still have any available.  Is everything 25% off in the stores that are closing?

Edited by klmama, 13 January 2018 - 12:53 AM.

#46 kiwik

kiwik

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5570 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:24 AM

WARN mandates 60 days pay for workers from large companies who work more than 20 hours a week.
This isn't Walmart being nice, this is Federal law. The statement indicates that they are doing what is required (a/k/a the minimum required) by that federal statute.

I bet the most common number of hours worked is below 20.

#47 Liz CA

Liz CA

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13631 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:10 AM

I won't miss them since I have never been impressed with anything at Sam's but I feel for the employees having this bomb dropped right after the holidays.

#48 poppy

poppy

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7138 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:23 AM

Our Costco has self check out.

But it’s too much to take the 200 things out of my cart, put them back in, go to my car and have to unload again. So I tend to use the regular checkout where they help with the cart .

I think the Sams thing is pretty brutal coming right after the tax cut. But I’m sure the closings were planned before that happened so the timing and terrible PR is basically a coincidence . No one expected that level of massive legislation to go through in less than six weeks.

Either way the level of .... I don’t want to say heartlessness but I don’t know the word to use. The level of dispassion in laying off that many people all on one day , and during the time of year most of us carry extra debt , is notable. It is too bad that they didn’t roll this out more gradually. If employees knew that Sams clubs were closing in other parts of the country - they would have a more reasonable idea to look at other options.

Which again is why Walmart did what it did. So yeah maybe heartlessness is the right word.
  • 8circles, gwennn and CES2005 like this

#49 G5052

G5052

Retired Homeschool Mom -- they're in college!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9450 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:22 AM

I'm not surprised with the two that are closing in my state. Both in areas with a lot of competition.

When I was working in a national security related field, they routinely laid off government contractors by having a guard and HR person with boxes show up. You packed your stuff and were escorted out. The idea was that then you couldn't take anything you weren't supposed to have or do anything you weren't supposed to do. They also offered 60 days of pay. They also fired people the same way.

When my position in the federal government was eliminated, I actually knew I was on the list six months before and then a month before the packets went out. They had job fairs and nearly all of the people were either gone or well along in the hiring process by the time the deadline hit. Thankfully the government was doing a lot of hiring then. Different situation than Sam's.

#50 heartlikealion

heartlikealion

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12618 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:31 AM

Our Costco has self check out.

But it’s too much to take the 200 things out of my cart, put them back in, go to my car and have to unload again. So I tend to use the regular checkout where they help with the cart .

I think the Sams thing is pretty brutal coming right after the tax cut. But I’m sure the closings were planned before that happened so the timing and terrible PR is basically a coincidence . No one expected that level of massive legislation to go through in less than six weeks.

Either way the level of .... I don’t want to say heartlessness but I don’t know the word to use. The level of dispassion in laying off that many people all on one day , and during the time of year most of us carry extra debt , is notable. It is too bad that they didn’t roll this out more gradually. If employees knew that Sams clubs were closing in other parts of the country - they would have a more reasonable idea to look at other options.

Which again is why Walmart did what it did. So yeah maybe heartlessness is the right word.

We go there once a week, so I think that cuts down the amount per shopping trip. Dh gets stuff for his work, too. He usually does the scanning, but sometimes I go without him and I kinda shove things to one side of the cart and not necessarily remove everything. I think I literally only get about 12 things. Water, bread, milk, eggs, and some other items.

• gardenmom5 likes this