What's with the ads?

#1 texasmom33

texasmom33

Runaway of the Establishment Incorporated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6601 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:01 AM

We have had another cold snap, and yesterday while dd attempted to put the blanket on my QH (admittedly without a halter and standing in the pasture, she said she was in a hurry, and he does usually stands there) took off with the blanket only half on before it was fastened. He ripped out the entire belly band and since the straps are on that, those are gone too. 

I don't own a sewing matching, and there's no way I can sew through it by hand. What would you try? Duct tape the belly band back on the blanket and then duct tape around the whole horse to hold it?  :lol:   I can't get it repaired quickly, plus it'll cost me more to repair than buy new, so I'm ordering one, but I can't get the new one in until at least late next week. Lows at night will be 33 until next week and then it drops to mid to low 20's. 

WWYD? Duct tape? Let him be blanket-less? He isn't clipped- has a full winter coat, but they are not stabled. They stay out 24/7. 

#2 Pintosrock

Pintosrock

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:07 AM

I use a speedy stitched sewing awl for heavy blanket repair.

Depends on what your horse is used to, whether to blanket or not. At 20-30, I wouldn't blanket. But then again, it regularly gets to MINUS 15 here, so 30 sounds delightfully warm to me!
  • texasmom33 likes this

#3 Ottakee

Ottakee

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11100 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:09 AM

Do they have access to a run in? If so, I would say no blanket is fine. My horses, Including our 28 year old Morab are out 24/7 with no blankets. We are in West Michigan so lots of cold and snow.

Just make sure they have plenty of hay to eat and they should be fine.
  • texasmom33 and Heartwood like this

#4 texasmom33

texasmom33

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6601 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:24 AM

Do they have access to a run in? If so, I would say no blanket is fine. My horses, Including our 28 year old Morab are out 24/7 with no blankets. We are in West Michigan so lots of cold and snow.

Just make sure they have plenty of hay to eat and they should be fine.

They always have tons of hay, but no longer a run in. The hurricane and flood last fall took it out and we haven't been able to rebuild it yet. They can get under a cover, but it's not three sided. 

Y'all have made me feel better though! We never blanketed horses here growing up, but when we moved where we are now it was looked upon as almost animal abuse to not blanket! He will be fine I think in that case. Our other horse- a big cribbing appendix-  is a lot older and thinner, so I would be more worried if dealing with him. He'd rather crib than eat so he's a PITA to keep weight on in the winter in the best of circumstances. 

#5 Selkie

Selkie

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2871 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:37 AM

If you want to get it fixed, maybe a dry cleaner could do the repairs.

Our six horses are never blanketed, even when it's -25. They're all fat and shaggy and acclimated to the cold. We keep our stalls open 24/7 so they can come and go as they please, and when it gets cold, they get extra hay and extra bedding. 

Since your horse has a winter coat, he'll probably do fine without a blanket, especially if it's just cold temps and not cold rain or high winds.

• texasmom33 and Heartwood like this

#6 Heartwood

Heartwood

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:23 AM

We've never blanketed our horses, even when temperatures dip in thee negatives. I agree with Selkie that it's not necessary if they have a winter coat.
  • texasmom33 likes this

#7 texasmom33

texasmom33

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6601 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:29 AM

I should've never succumbed to barn culture peer pressure back in the day!  :glare:

• eternalsummer likes this

#8 vonbon

vonbon

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:40 AM

Like PP, I was going to recommend an awl if you need to fix it yourself on the cheap.  If you can't obtain one quickly enough (they're sold online, old-fashioned cobbler/shoe shops, maybe some types of craft stores, possibly some Wal-Marts?), I have seen some larger, thicker craft needles at big box stores like JoAnn.  They're about 3-4" and thicker than normal needles.  They'd probably work in a pinch but aren't quite like an awl.  Not sure what could be used for the thread, as I've had a hard time tracking down thread that thick.

As to the whether-to-blanket issue, I would just consider that if you've consistently blanketed every night and then you stop, it might be a bit rough on his system.  I don't think horses have to be blanketed but, ideally, you've allowed him to build up a winter coat gradually.  IMO, they can fend for themselves quite well, but adding a man-made blanket into the mix (which can be appropriate for a variety of reasons) is going to change the thickness of his natural coat.  Agreeing with the posts above that a little extra feed can help generate more heat throughout the night.  

• JoJosMom and texasmom33 like this

#9 Happy2BaMom

Happy2BaMom

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:56 PM

I don't blanket unless there is a strong freezing wind (and even then I don't blanket the ones that will stand in the 3-sided shelter, just the one horse who refuses to come inside, ever) OR if there happens to be a sudden 20+ temperature drop (even then it's not always....I just watch them closely to ensure they can handle it OK). 

Actually, I will add we had one time where one horse was shivering. I blanketed her. And I blanketed one horse one winter when dd was showing year-round & we wanted a less-fuzzy horse. 

Blanketing can create a lot more complications than it solves. I also grew up with horses, in Wisconsin back when every winter was a complete blizzard for at least 4 mos a year, with 2 more months of winter on top, and we never, ever blanked the horses. No one else did, either. This is a relatively new, largely consumer-driven thing, with every horse needing at least 4 blankets of varying types. P

Edited by Happy2BaMom, 12 January 2018 - 01:57 PM.

• texasmom33 likes this

#10 fairfarmhand

fairfarmhand

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10488 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:58 PM

If they’re not stabled I think they’ll be fine. As long as he can get out of the wind. Our winter temps are like yours and we’ve never blanketed our horses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • texasmom33 likes this

#11 kiwik

kiwik

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5704 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:54 AM

If you don't have an awl you can use a hammer and nail to make holes for a thick needle.

#12 texasmom33

texasmom33

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6601 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:50 PM

Well, he's out in a duct taped blanket tonight in our awesome freezing rain. We have an ice storm coming in (a freaking ice storm in TX! This winter is surreal. First 3.5" of snow in December and now ice.) I tried to figure out how to sew it with some of y'all's tips, but the nylon wouldn't stop fraying and unraveling no matter what I tried- this all happened fast and I didn't have time to try and find grommets or anything to help. This blanket has the super wide belly band that connects it and he sheared almost the whole thing off- I couldn't connect it anywhere else or it wouldn't fit his width. We ended up ducting taping him into it. It was actually quite hysterically comical, but I think it will hold. I wish I could figure out an easy way to size the picture so you could see. :) I'm pretty sure he's embarrassed. 

I wasn't going to worry about it until the rain was predicted to move in with huge winds and ice- we only have top cover for them, not even a 3 side run-in rebuilt yet since Harvey. Man. If we'd known this winter would be this brutal we'd have shifted priorities. Last year we had one night under freezing and that was it. We didn't even hit the 50's as lows after that. I guess Old Man Winter is getting his payback in this year. This is at least the third set in the 20's since December and that's super rare here. 

• vonfirmath likes this

#13 Sdel

Sdel

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:42 AM

You can melt the nylon to seal it. Heat up an ice pick or something to singe the nylon holes.

Stefanie
  • texasmom33 likes this

#14 vonfirmath

vonfirmath

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5312 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:47 AM

I understand texasmom.  This winter storm really did come in fast. Can't even get out to buy supplies. You used duct tape and did the best you could.  Any other time this would not have been a big deal at all. Sometimes, all you can do is just that.

• texasmom33 likes this

#15 Selkie

Selkie

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2871 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:06 AM

Ice storms are the worst! We just had one a few days ago and now I can't let the horses out in the pasture because there are huge, slippery patches of ice covered by snow.

I hope your horse stays cozy and dry!

• texasmom33 likes this